NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd love for Intel to actually become a player in the GPU space but holy fuck this is not a good first showing
It could certainly be a worse first showing. The price seems okay. They are not aiming at the high end.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Size is just getting ridiculous. That strix he showed was crazy. Also Why did they only do a 2 slot bracket on it? When he put it up next to the ps5 I laughed. It's basically the same size, the ps5 just has a lot of plastic casing for show.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It could certainly be a worse first showing. The price seems okay. They are not aiming at the high end.

How in the world could it be worse? It literally didn't function out of the box on multiple systems/monitors in their review lol.

The performance is meaningless if the driver package and general functionality is so bad that normies can't even use it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How in the world could it be worse? It literally didn't function out of the box on multiple systems/monitors in their review lol.

The performance is meaningless if the driver package and general functionality is so bad that normies can't even use it.
Eh they can patch that.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Eh they can patch that.

Yea let's see if they do that by the time it launches in what, 5 days?

Good luck.

It's also worse performance than a 6600XT and costs more.

Like I said, I want these to be good, but they are a fucking garbage fire.

spronk

FPS noob
the intel is pre-alpha-alpha-alpha version of its line, its not even really worth talking about it'll maybe improve in a few years or they will buy AMD and dump their arc shit. who knows, who cares, its not really meant for us. Its nice at least they are targeting the $300-500 GPU space, nvidia seems to give zero fucks about that price tier for now

i was pretty sure i was gonna buy a 4090 but after those size videos i think i'll pass, fucker is way too huge and even the cool mass effect PC case i've had sitting around for 2 years for my next build (a nzxt case) is probably too small for it. fuck that. i can't even think of a game i'd play that would make use of it

this game looks cool though, its by a bunch of ex DICE devs and started its alpha last weekend and is one of the first games that will be using the unreal engine 5. maybe one of the reasons to eventually upgrade, people who were in the alpha on 20xx cards said it would chug hard on medium settings and it has a lot of destruction and environmental stuff going on

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Buying this absolute beast case last year looking like a good decision! That said, probably going to wait on 7900XT next month, as I really don't want to buy a new PSU at the minute for the 4090.

1665084227132.png

Nola

Trakanon Raider
LMAO, the PS5 comparison killed me.
Ehhhh that thing is freaking huge. Think I'll stick with my 3090 and I was already complaining how bigger it is compared to the other 3XXX cards.

• 1Like

Otto

Looks like I need to buy a new case for the 4090.

11-133-308-01.jpg

• 1Weird Boner

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need a new comp but these cards are fucking ridiculous. Don't want a fridge sized computer.

Going to wait it out a bit and see what comes from all of this. Hoping Nvidia gets bitch slapped. But my guess is that I'll have to cave and carve out a room in my house just for the new comp.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
the intel is pre-alpha-alpha-alpha version of its line, its not even really worth talking about it'll maybe improve in a few years or they will buy AMD and dump their arc shit. who knows, who cares, its not really meant for us. Its nice at least they are targeting the $300-500 GPU space, nvidia seems to give zero fucks about that price tier for now

i was pretty sure i was gonna buy a 4090 but after those size videos i think i'll pass, fucker is way too huge and even the cool mass effect PC case i've had sitting around for 2 years for my next build (a nzxt case) is probably too small for it. fuck that. i can't even think of a game i'd play that would make use of it

this game looks cool though, its by a bunch of ex DICE devs and started its alpha last weekend and is one of the first games that will be using the unreal engine 5. maybe one of the reasons to eventually upgrade, people who were in the alpha on 20xx cards said it would chug hard on medium settings and it has a lot of destruction and environmental stuff going on

Yeah that game looks fucking sick.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That shit is fucking ridiculous. As time goes by and dies get smaller we should be seeing smaller more powerful and quieter shit rather than going backwards with these gozilla monstrosities. Like what case could even carry that shit? So now they need to make new XXL cases harking back to the early 2Ks to fit these fucking things? And not to mention the power supply and now we need a dedicated circuit for our PC, loool.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That shit is fucking ridiculous. As time goes by and dies get smaller we should be seeing smaller more powerful and quieter shit rather than going backwards with these gozilla monstrosities.
If you want the same performance as previous gens, you can get smaller and quieter. Heck, your cellphone is probably more powerful than a PC from 8 years ago.

Just because the 4090 exists, doesn't mean you have to buy it. They are making something very powerful available to you, if you're willing to pay the price and build around it.

For what it is, the 4090 is an interesting value proposition. It is very EXTREME.

Meanwhile the 4080 series cards are much less interesting from a value proposition standpoint. Extreme price but merely high-middle specs... though we'll see what the benchmarks look like.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No shit misty, thanks cpt Obvious. But if you talk about higher end vdeo cards, they have only been getting bigger and bigger as time goes on.