NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
i'm thinking more and more the ideal PC to build out in the next 6 months is a 5950x3d and a cheap 30xx GPU ($500-600), that should be close to top end performance for at least a year or two and by then CPUs should be better and we'll probably get a decent 4070 ti. Plus you can get cheaper DDR4 memory and splurge on 64gb (or more) and get a big ass nvme drive or two.

i think thats gonna be my plan, it really is time to retire my 5 year old 1080ti and 6700k.

There's no such thing as a 5950x3d (did you mean 5800x3d?)

Funny enough a few months ago Mist was complaining that the 5800x3d was "bad value."

Jovec

?
Most AIO users run a 280mm or 360mm on a CPU consuming anywhere from 100-250w. Running a 240mm on a GPU that pushes up to 600W just seems low. I know there is still some cooling on the board. It looks sleek though.

Nvidia capped these cards for a reason. DerBauer volt modded a 4090 and saw about +200w increase running a low load 1080p benchmark. At 4K any performance increase from the voltage increase was quickly hampered by the 600w limit.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've been benching mine all night (love new tech benchmarking) - there is a very insignificant difference so far setting power to 90-95% in terms of FPS. Doesn't seem like any real reason to oc these cards. It's also kind of weird seeing every AIB within 2-5 fps of one another. Makes buying the "oc" version of any of these cards pointless - the Strix in particular seems a proper rip off when the $1599 TUF is identical performance

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Water cooled...

Checked some reviews of the Strix 4090 0C - a $2000 dollar card.

Usually get the Strix cards. I like the quality and low noise. But even though the Strix 4090 is better than the rest, it's really not by much. Not even close to $400 dollars better. Even the decibel levels are close.

If you are going to get a 4090, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to get anything other than the FE.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's no point in getting anything that's factory overclocked because overclocking does literally nothing but use more power for the same performance, at least for the 4090.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
There's no point in getting anything that's factory overclocked because overclocking does literally nothing but use more power for the same performance, at least for the 4090.

There is speculation that Nvidia wants to be like Apple and control the whole supply chain and be the sole source for end user hardware. Hence the improved quality of the FE models every generation. They already have to approve all AIB designs and set retail price limits so they stifle differentiation.

The 4090 core is so wide that any voltage change results in huge power increases. The cards would need something like an 800w+ limit or more to allow AIBs to show meaningful differences between tiers (like Dual/TUF/Strix for Asus). Nvidia either doesn't want to have their cards associated with that much power draw, and/or mass market cooling that much power is too impractical, or they want to leave room for a 4090 ti. Likely all three are true. AMD, Intel, and Nvidia are already running their high end products near the limit anyway so it gets harder and harder to see meaningful gains with overclocking. Diminishing returns are reached very quickly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Snagged a MSI Suprim Liquid X. From Adorama who's on holiday, so won't ship until next week.

:rolleyes: thanks Adorama.

We're sorry for any inconvenience.​

Hi,

Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order is not in stock, see details below.

We'll ship your order as soon as possible. If you want to cancel your order, let us know and you won't be charged.

• 4Rustled
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There is speculation that Nvidia wants to be like Apple and control the whole supply chain and be the sole source for end user hardware. Hence the improved quality of the FE models every generation. They already have to approve all AIB designs and set retail price limits so they stifle differentiation.

The 4090 core is so wide that any voltage change results in huge power increases. The cards would need something like an 800w+ limit or more to allow AIBs to show meaningful differences between tiers (like Dual/TUF/Strix for Asus). Nvidia either doesn't want to have their cards associated with that much power draw, and/or mass market cooling that much power is too impractical, or they want to leave room for a 4090 ti. Likely all three are true. AMD, Intel, and Nvidia are already running their high end products near the limit anyway so it gets harder and harder to see meaningful gains with overclocking. Diminishing returns are reached very quickly.
Overclocking as we've known it for the past 20 years is stupid. Chips should be intelligent enough to push their own limits given the cooling and power situation provided to them, while not consuming excess power to do the same amount of work.

If anything, things should be going in the opposite direction, where chips should be smart in collecting self-report data on voltages and frequencies and intelligently undervolting themselves in situations where more power isn't going to produce more performance.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Overclocking as we've known it for the past 20 years is stupid. Chips should be intelligent enough to push their own limits given the cooling and power situation provided to them, while not consuming excess power to do the same amount of work.

If anything, things should be going in the opposite direction, where chips should be smart in collecting self-report data on voltages and frequencies and intelligently undervolting themselves in situations where more power isn't going to produce more performance.
There is no way you are a woman you troon. No woman I have met has ever talks like this.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Its just programming a threshold for performance vs power, is it not? I "thought" video cards/cpu's were already programmed at default settings to undervolt if it was too hot - so why not have the programming to do the opposite? Or, program performance per watt ratios. I mean, it would be funny to me to see the "Energy Star" logo on a 4090 - but thats what Im thinking of lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Its just programming a threshold for performance vs power, is it not? I "thought" video cards/cpu's were already programmed at default settings to undervolt if it was too hot - so why not have the programming to do the opposite? Or, program performance per watt ratios. I mean, it would be funny to me to see the "Energy Star" logo on a 4090 - but thats what Im thinking of lol.
I'm thinking a driver-level optimization that uses realtime and historical data to tune the card to prefer lower power consumption. So a third option here in the drivers that automates the process, rather than having to use Afterburner to lower the voltage/frequency curve or set a power limit.

But just doing it with GPUs isn't enough. Intel should also build the functionality into XTU or into the chipset itself, to train the CPU using historical to optimize for power usage.

1666190940154.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Cards keep popping up till sold out again it seems - i wonder if they are cancelling orders or just spreading them out.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I had a shot at a Gigabyte, but while it was 'holding this item for 10 minutes' for me it then went OOS. I'd prefer the Suprim anyways.

Adorama confirmed there are hundreds of people in the backorder queue, sounds like they massively oversold or haven't received product at all yet, they couldn't confirm one way or the other.

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So many better things to spend 1800 dollars on that a fucking video card. What the fuck.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users