NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I could have waited and held onto my 3080 longer, and let it lose value, or I could have sold it when I could still get a good price for it, and have a 4080 now.

It basically works out the same either way.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So seems it's basically a 4080 that is smaller but runs a bit hotter/noisier due to fans, has similar performance but worse on raytracing but costs 200$ less. 300$ less and if you don't mind a dip in performance with the XT.

I guess that's about what AMD was aiming for, it makes the 4080 look even worse than it was before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So seems it's basically a 4080 that is smaller but runs a bit hotter/noisier due to fans, has similar performance but worse on raytracing but costs 200$ less. 300$ less and if you don't mind a dip in performance with the XT.

I guess that's about what AMD was aiming for, it makes the 4080 look even worse than it was before.

Adding this to the mix.

"Basically a 4080 that is smaller but runs a bit hotter/noisier due to fans, has terrible idle power draw, insane coil whine at high FPS, weird driver crashes, has similar performance but drastically worse on raytracing and no DLSS 3.0. It is quite a bit cheaper though because Nvidia sucks."

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The idle power draw is supposedly something they're gonna fix soon-ish I think one of the other videos said. I don't know(and no one really does) how much DLSS3 will do though, while DLSS is neat it's not really implemented in a lot of games. AMD has their own version of DLSS2(which is very different from 3 but still) but it still depends on the games, I think the only game I played that supported DLSS at all since they launched the RTX stuff was Monster Hunter(and it was only useful in World since Rise is a Switch port that runs exceedingly well baseline). It doesn't help I don't play a lot of the main stream AAA games that would usually support that though.

I'd say it's likely worth it over a 3080 though with the price dip, that's a substantial amount of money you save.

Might also just be worth waiting for the lower tier stuff though, seeing these graphs with the XT doing almost 120FPS on 4K, I feel could probably save 300$ and wait for a lower tier card that will still run everything for the next 2-3 years at 4k60, until I upgrade my monitor.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Adding this to the mix.

"Basically a 4080 that is smaller but runs a bit hotter/noisier due to fans, has terrible idle power draw, insane coil whine at high FPS, weird driver crashes, has similar performance but drastically worse on raytracing and no DLSS 3.0. It is quite a bit cheaper though because Nvidia sucks."
Standard ATI, then.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
comment on 7900 xt review

1670862834968.png

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I give zero fucks about DLSS and the 7900 series falls exactly where I expected it to.

When they were leaked I predicted that the cards were going to significantly improve AMDs market share and I stand by that prediction. The series obviously doesn't stand up to the 4090, but they were never meant to and the reality is that only a tiny fraction of PC gamers have Gucci cards like the 4090. AMDs cards are still stupidly expensive for the general public, but only a retard would buy a 4080 when the 7900 series is an option.

• 1Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I give zero fucks about DLSS and the 7900 series falls exactly where I expected it to.

When they were leaked I predicted that the cards were going to significantly improve AMDs market share and I stand by that prediction. The series obviously doesn't stand up to the 4090, but they were never meant to and the reality is that only a tiny fraction of PC gamers have Gucci cards like the 4090. AMDs cards are still stupidly expensive for the general public, but only a retard would buy a 4080 when the 7900 series is an option.

That's THE feature I care about on these cards. The upscaler. Especially at these high resolutions now adays.

Fucker

Log Wizard

ATI's perpetually broken drivers is reason alone to stay away from their garbage.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the reviews are a cacophony of disappointment to me. I'd rather pay more for RT and DLSS than deal w/ limitations and omissions at these price points and drivers that 'aren't ready' from a company notorious for shitty drivers.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I've had ONE driver issue(web players would cause a 5 minute black screen before restarting the driver - just had to revert)with AMD and I've had a 6700 XT since a week or two after their release. It's hilarious that the stigma still hangs around.

Far more concerning for me are the thermals and the transient power spikes. Hopefully it'll put enough pressure on Nvidia to price their shit normally, which is my only issue with them at this point.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Win Shift Ctrl B will restart the driver manually if you ever want to try to fix black screens like that. Most of the AMD driver issues i've seen have been older games not playing well with updates to 6xxx past 22.5.1 because the games themselves haven't updated. But then COD forced people to use the newest drivers which worked fine for COD but would cause issues on the older ones.

Lost Ark is notorious for that but it's not surprising games known for using shitty EAC, having unusable AH due to bot overload, server disconnects etc also don't update their shit for newest tech. Fault is not entirely on AMD but Nvidia can likely pressure the studios better to fix problems on the other end.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
They are competition. I am inclined to buy an XTX. 1000 is still too much, but that's the world we live in now.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user