NZBMatrix is dead. What now?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Here is my genius idea: private FOH NewsNab server. Invite only and keep the numbers low enough that we don't have any issues. I'd do it if I had any experience at all building that stuff out in Linux.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Is it just an index? What are the bandwidth requirements? I could throw one up for the hell of it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Is it just an index? What are the bandwidth requirements? I could throw one up for the hell of it.
As far as I understand it is just an automatic indexer that also has built ins for forums, registration, RSS feeds, API integration (for Sick Beard, Couchpotato, and SABNZBD), and other features. I wish I knew more, but I've never dug any deeper. I have no idea what the bandwidth requirements for downloading all the headers would be, but I figure the manual and automated hits to the index from a small number of private users wouldn't be terrible.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'll look into it when I'm home from work. Depending on its RAM/HD needs, I could probably run one on my EC2 server.

(of course, there's nothing to stop Amazon from sending me a C&D and taking my shit down, so...)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Maybe you can cut down on the hardware requirements by only indexing TV Shows? (Not that movies wouldn't be cool also... but those are probably more likely to be a target for takedown notices.)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'm messing with installing it now. We'll see how it goes.

I take it I'm going to need a newsgroup server somewhere for this... I don't have one. Anyone wanna lend me theirs for a sec?

Lusiphur

Peasant
I'm messing with installing it now. We'll see how it goes.
If you do and the costs prove an issue then I would be happy to toss some beer tokens your way (as I am sure anyone else would). I would suggest steering clear of music and pr0n (maybe movies too) as they do tend to get the most DMCA heat.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Changed my mind and bought a subscription to astraweb, since it's fricking cheap and I'm not likely to actually download anything (just use it to get headers) anyway.

I'm messing with the indexing now. It doesn't seem like it's gonna use a great deal of disk space, but I haven't had any luck in getting it to actually list any releases, either.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Can't get it to index anything. So strange. I'll mess with it some more tomorrow, enough playing for today.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone who sets up a private index and agrees to index audiobooks and movies binaries (dvd quality and better) I will happily contribute an automatic 5$/mo paypal for as long as it is up. (TV show binaries would also be awesome if possible but sickbeard internal might get all those)

I am assuming that 5$ would be enough...

I'll even contribute to multiple people. Never hurts to have a couple of backups.

Edit: Must be setup to work with couchpotato and sickbeard.

MossyBank

N00b
I use nzbs.org but I notice they are down today. I hope they're not dead, too.
They are still up. You need to add /forum to access. nzbs.org/forum

Think they are keeping the main URL a blank page to keep people away atm, alot of heat out there right now.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'll use predb.me for now till shit shakes out. The idea of headers really hurts me inside.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I decided to try starting my own index site as well. Not actually that hard to set up. I'm populating the search right now. Next on the list is to see if it works well with Sickbeard and SABnzbd

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Heh, I've derped something up and can't make it work. Might just be the server. It won't find any releases in any group I download headers for.

If people are finding alternatives, it's probably better not to bother putting up a new one anyway.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Heh, I've derped something up and can't make it work. Might just be the server. It won't find any releases in any group I download headers for.
I was having the same problem with Newznab. I think it has to do with the Regex list. I decided to upgrade to their Plus version that downloads a Regex list from their site and the problem went away.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I use NZBS.org and Filesharingtalk...but for me the downloads are incomplete. I'm assuming stuff is being deleted off of the news server? I'm using Giganews.

I noticed recently that a lot of shows are being named something cryptically numeric, so prying eyes can't tell what exactly it is. Even still, shows are being removed from the server so that's rather disconcerting. Assholes.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Back in the late 90s I used to use IRC for quite a bit for these things..efnet and undernet specifically i believe, with xdcc, fservs etc. Is that still an option? or is that also getting cracked down on or not viable for large scale piracy?

Think there was also something called 'fsp' i used to use then too but I think that is long gone , even before anonftp dumps started to poof