NZBMatrix is dead. What now?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm going to finally take the plunge from torrents to usenet this weekend (got two DMCA notices from HBO). I think I'm going to go with Tweaknews, but I was wondering about payment. Do any of you use a credit card for your usenet provider? I'm wondering if I'm being overly paranoid, or if I should go and get a prepaid Visa or something and use that (which seems like a giant pain in the ass).

They've got a 10 day trial, so I've got time to figure it out. But I'm just wondering if I'm being overly cautious. For that matter, is using my normal email a bad idea for Tweaknews?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I use my CC for my payments. Not overly paranoid, but I suppose if you are overly paranoid, you are willing to put up with the PITA it is to hide yourself.

Welcome to usenets! You won't ever go back!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cool, I won't worry about it then.

I just realized almost all the responses in this thread had been from 2013 until the last few. What indexers do you all use? Right now I just hopped on binsearch and manually downloaded. Hopefully I can figure out Sickbeard shortly and get an indexer that might be easier to navigate?

Edit: Ugh, definitely need to get an indexer figured out. Everything I got off binsearch was password protected, even though they didn't specify that they were.

Crone

Most of the good ones are invite only now. After NZB Matrix died, most were flooded, and were all worried about getting taken down.
frown.png

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that's what I've found. The only people I know IRL that are on usenet are on nzbs.org, and apparently they're completely locked down right now. Not really sure where to go, but it's kind of shitty that there's not really any option.

Crone

I think I might have invites, PM your email address, and I'll see what I can do this evening.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
For good single shot downloads, try filesharingtalk.com.

Also, I still use Astraweb unlimited for $11/month. You can set up paypal payment for it as well to avoid the paranoia.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really enjoy this. Wish I would have taken the plunge a long time ago.

My only complaint is I seem to get a shit load of bad downloads (whether that means incomplete files or password protected). It's literally like 50% of them. That was with Newztown (thanks Crone!), Wombles, and Oznzb as my indexers, and Tweaknews. I added NZBplanet too, so we'll see how I do with the Sunday night shows. I wish I had been around for NZBMatrix, as that seems like it would have solved all of the issues I'm currently having.

Crone

You'll see that a lot. Some of the popular shows, if you don't get them right away, you won't get them at all. Good thing though is Sickbeard stays on top of a lot of the stuff, and so for the most part, 90% of the shows I watch, Sickbeard will do just fine. For the others, just check SABnzbd, and see what failed, and try and find a different source for those.

Crone

You'll see that a lot. Some of the popular shows, if you don't get them right away, you won't get them at all. Good thing though is Sickbeard stays on top of a lot of the stuff, and so for the most part, 90% of the shows I watch, Sickbeard will do just fine. For the others, just check SABnzbd, and see what failed, and try and find a different source for those.

Bullock

Molten Core Raider
Finally making the switch from torrents to newsgroups and in need of an invite to a good indexer if anyone has any spare please? Just setup on nzbndx for now and going to setup sickbeard later today but on nzbndx there are 3 different 720p of the latest agents of shield - is this normal, and would sickbeard just grab the first one that was upped?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
At this point I would try Sonarr instead of SickBeard if I were you. It will handle things a bit better and is still being updated with new features.

SickBeard is pretty much feature and update locked.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
At this point I would try Sonarr instead of SickBeard if I were you. It will handle things a bit better and is still being updated with new features.

SickBeard is pretty much feature and update locked.
Looks slick and handling failed episodes is nice, but I can't seem to get it to recognize my networked drive.
frown.png
I tried entering \\IP\name, but no luck.

Skip_sl

shitlord
Looks slick and handling failed episodes is nice, but I can't seem to get it to recognize my networked drive.
frown.png
I tried entering \\IP\name, but no luck.
Try \\server\share, and check if it's running as a service, that can cause problems (FAQ · Sonarr/Sonarr Wiki · GitHub).

I switched to usenet about 2 weeks ago, set up sonarr/couchpotato and I'm pretty amazed how much better it is than torrenting. Currently using nzbgeek and oznzb,
seems fine for most things but still missing a few here and there, so still on the lookout for an invite to one of the closed ones if anyone has any.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I recommend Sonarr as well.

And I'm using NZBGeek and it gets pretty much everything I need.

With usenet you do need to adjust your thinking in regards to old stuff. If there's an older TV show you want, there's a good chance you're shit out of luck; unlike torrents. But for new stuff, it's much better. Keeping current shows updated is significantly better.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know that it is "much better" per se, because even IPT typically has shows up moments after they air. And a good RSS feed (which even IPT has) and some filters, which I'm sure you have to set up on newsgroups too, is going to do practically the same thing. It is just that people only think of doing that kind of setup for newsgroups, not torrents. And torrents don't get DMCA deleted unless there is actually a problem with them.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So my VIP sub to OZNZB just ran out. They were decent over the last year, but I'm wondering if there are better providers. Any suggestions?