Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think they are going more along the lines that it's a fucking movie and who gives a fuck?

Also humans found it, not the other way around. It was chilling over by Saturn doing it's thing.

spronk

FPS noob
There may be an actual scientific basis for why they may want to target earth specifically: heavy water. I don't really know enough about it to say how its made or if it occurs in asteroids, other planets, rings, etc. On the other hand, there was a lot of science stuff wrong with the movie like if the moon gets blown up it wouldn't stay stretched out for that long although you gotta admit that moon looked cool as fuck. The moon also makes our oceans bulge, so losing the concentrated mass for even a short time would have massive effects on ocean levels (bigger shifts to the poles). Also, as water is sucked up out of the oceans things like clouds would stop forming and everywhere would get a lot hotter.

Anyways you gotta ignore that shit sometimes sadly, someone pointed out recently how there are some allegoric parallels between this movie and Homers Odyssey (sequel to Illiad) which was also the name of the Titan spaceship, kind of interesting but don't really see too much.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah guys I mean who gives a fuck if the storyline makes sense, there was plenty of bleak scenery and identical drones to keep your attention.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah guys I mean who gives a fuck if the storyline makes sense, there was plenty of bleak scenery and identical drones to keep your attention.
Another stupid point trying to be made when they never go into depth just what the water is being used for. He was told it was for hydrogen fule for the titan colony....but then again he was also told there was a titan colony and that humans were still in control. Which you know, they weren't. Everything was a lie so who knows what they were looking to get out of it.

fucker_sl

shitlord
I think they are going more along the lines that it's a fucking movie and who gives a fuck?

Also humans found it, not the other way around. It was chilling over by Saturn doing it's thing.
usually this kind of thinking is right for movies like Pacific Rim, a mindless action movie. But if you incluse also pure scifi movies like Oblivion, then i'm starting to wonder where you draw the line. By your reasoning, the moment someone enter a cinema he should shut his brain down whatever movie he's going to watch

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
which is still a completely retarded thing, considering how hydrogen is the most abundant atom in the universe both in its pure and unpure form

you dont need to travel light years to find a meaningless speck of dirt like earth if you are searching for hydrogen. you just need to turn your gaze in a random direction and you'll find million times more
Easily accessible in liquid form in massive abundance, without any extreme atmospheric conditions, while assuming that water itself was the sole reason they chose Earth, with no knowledge whatsoever of the space-faring capabilities of the vessel or its origin or its ability to adapt to environments that stray very far from Earth-like conditions, or its need for materiel to build/repair its own machinery that possibly could all be found in one place on Earth?

If you want to be pedantic as fuck I guess you can call it a plot hole.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Much better than I expected, the trailer didn't give away all the twists at least.

Since it's open spoilers I quite liked how Tet replicated the Nasa transmissions right down to the squawky interference part. Almost everything Cruise opened the film with in his monologue turned out to be a lie, Titan, memory wipes, the lot. Would have been amusing to see a brief glimpse of a Cruise clone army trashing what was left of the Earth when Morgan mentioned that's what happened.

Yeah there were the usual amount of plotholes and contrivances but at the end of the film it had entertained me. Hella nice scenery, must have been very nice on the big screen. Plus Morgan Freeman in a fucking cape, that makes any film a must watch before anything else!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Everything was a lie so who knows what they were looking to get out of it.
The main problem is that no matter what they were actually in search of, every single fucking thing they could find on this planet could also be found elsewhere in abundance and wouldn't require a clone army or genocide to accomplish.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The main problem is that no matter what they were actually in search of, every single fucking thing they could find on this planet could also be found elsewhere in abundance and wouldn't require a clone army or genocide to accomplish.
Again, the thing was already here, we're he ones who found it and went out to get it. It may very well have been doing its own thing out by Saturn but then found a nice place with a hospital environment it could harvest and could have the clones do it for it. It just sat there and reaped the rewards.

Also, maybe the thing is just a dick and wanted to kill us. Fuck, who cares? Do we never want any alien invasion movies ever or something?

spronk

FPS noob
the haters want the $200m budget alien invasion where the aliens just ignore Earth and go do their own thing, and the movie is 2 hours of people talking about how aliens suck, how they are proof of Jesus, how they are proof of No-Jesus, and in the end no one cares and we all go back to watching Pawn Stars

Lenas

Trump's Staff
All we want is for an obviously advanced race of artificial intelligence to make some, you know, intelligent decisions. When you are throwing millions of dollars at a movie I think you should come up with something more original than an invasion for resources. If the excuse was, "they're conquerers and they just wanted to fuck us up," that would still be more acceptable.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
All we want is for an obviously advanced race of artificial intelligence to make some, you know, intelligent decisions. When you are throwing millions of dollars at a movie I think you should come up with something more original than an invasion for resources. If the excuse was, "they're conquerors and they just wanted to fuck us up," that would still be more acceptable.
Every alien invasion movie IS that way, and then they use every resource available to them there too.

Independence Day? Dick Aliens want to kill us.

Signs? Dick Aliens want to kill us.

Oblivion? Dick AI alien wants to kill us.

Battleship? Dick aliens want to kill us.

Why would they NOT take our resources after doing so? They type of movie you want seemingly doesn't exist.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dug the ending, but was bored most of the other time.
I liked the ending too... when I saw it 17 years ago in Independence Day.

While it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen its full of massive plot holes, huge stretches of "look at our cgi!" and generally unexplained characters.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I liked the ending too... when I saw it 17 years ago in Independence Day.

While it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen its full of massive plot holes, huge stretches of "look at our cgi!" and generally unexplained characters.
Hmmm, Will Smith being a clone and being reunited with his wife, getting her pregnant and then sacrificing himself to save humanity....only to have his other clone show up like 3 or 4 years later with the remains of humanity in that region of the world to be with said wife and child must have been in the special edition directors cut.

Also...what unexplained characters?

fucker_sl

shitlord
how about an alien invasion movie where first contact happends during the first manned expedition to the outer solar system and we royally screw it? dunno like....slaughtering them out of panic so they go full genocide? you know...something like a sequel of District 9

at least it would be a better reason than harvest resources that can be found much more easely, billions of times more abundant, pretty much in every corner of the universe

oh right....we must be the good guys

spronk

FPS noob
check out europa report for a cool scifi movie that is a lot more realistic and interesting, but it highlights the problem: good, solid science scifi movie shot on what had to be a decent (but low) budget. Movie doesn't even sadly get a theater release, instead you have to pay amazon $10 to stream it or pirate it.