Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My impression was that the Tet was a sort of automated harvester ship. The reason for the clones was likely, initially, to have an easily maintained indigenous force of troops to mop up what was left of mankind. Once they hit the suck up the water part of the invasion, then the clones had to have more elaborate programing to carry out the drone maintenance and it is probably easier to program a bunch of dudes with KILL ALL HUMANS than try and blank slate a fully grown human mind with all the technical stuff needed to maintain the plants and drones. The aliens seemed fairly low tech for an interstellar capable race, so my guess is it was a robot ship designed to go to planets full of water that they had scoped out with long range telescoped and rape them for the water resources (which are fairly rare compared to mineral ones once you are out in space). In some ways this is a refined version of the plot from Skyline, really, with the aliens having a giant photocopy machine to make biological grunts capable of carrying out tasks for them in the foreign environment.

It is also possible that it was a sleeper ship with aliens who may not have been compatible with earth, possibly due to the people nuking the shit out of it, and they needed human derps to run their machinery for them while they sponged up enough resources to move on to another planet, perhaps even Titan itself. The nature of the alien tech and efficiency centric demands of the "Sally" lead me to believe that it was more likely a robot ship, though. Also, if you are planning on colonizing a planet after an invasion, blowing up the moon is likely not the best way to keep the biosphere intact, which was the aliens opening move. Blowing up the moon is actually relatively easy, incidentally. All they would have had to do is accelerate a big hunk of metal to near light speed aimed at the moon to do the job, so that part of the plot I have little issue with.

The only real plot hole that bothered me was how the penis mobile (as my wife dubbed it) was not remote hackable by the Tet or at least had hard coded programing to prevent it from shooting at the drones. The Tet's interest in the survivor also bugged me a little, as there was no explanation for their interest in the survivor. I would have also liked to know some more about the nature of the invaders, but I can understand that being limited to keep a sense of mystery.

Liked it well enough, but its not in my top ten or anything. I will be interested to see the director's cut down the road, however.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Movie was alright, and I always like Tom Cruise movies despite his personal life insanity, but the problem is that this movie was really just a collection of ideas taken from other sci-fi movies. It had nothing unique to offer and some of the themes were just way too similar to other movies

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
movie was all right.

the music was really jarring and seemed out of place in certain scenes like when they go skinny dipping in their pool and they play the most epic sounding track of music ever. it was stupid.

the movie really abused that blaring horn sound effect too. every couple minutes BWAAAAAAH BWAAAAAH.

couldn't stand the lead female either. she just kept making these awestruck faces the entire time.

cruise carried a lot of the film as well as the shots of earth were really well done too.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I thought the music fit because fucking in a glass pool thousands of feet up in the air is fucking awesome.

spronk

FPS noob
saw the blu ray rip, excellent video and audio quality at 1080p. Good movie, a LOT better than I thought it would be given the rotten tomato and imdb ratings which are at like 54%. Yeah, a few plot holes but nothing you can't sorta hand wave away; it did drag on a little bit in parts. The lead actress (brunette) was great to look at but horrible acting, just the same dumb "eh?" face for every reaction. Rest of the actors were great, including Cruise.

Minimal backstory is a bit annoying but I think people can fill in their own bits, my take is
Its pretty much a self-replicating AI, similar to Reapers in Mass Effect. The ship goes from planet to planet, sucks up all the juicy biological resources to restock and fuel up for the next hop. Pyramid Galactus basically.

If no advanced life on the planet, the drones just set up shop and suck up everything. If there is space faring life, it captures a few specimens, clones the hell out of them, sends them down as an invasion force, and then uses a small clone crew to keep the harvesters operational. Its like playing any X3/civ/SC2/etc game, you don't want to spend too many resources protecting your harvesters but just enough to harvest and move on.

I thought that was the best part of the movie, the idea of this giant asshole AI, but it barely got touched. Morgan Freeman was also barely used, although the Kingslayer was goddamn awesome.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally got to see this. I liked it more than Superman or Pacific Rim. I guess I just miss the science Fiction/Special effect movies that take some time to explain a story and have good acting. As much of a douche as Tom Cruise might be in real life with Scientology, he still does a good job of acting. The story was different enough as to provide quality entertainment without feeling like it was to much of a rehash. Yes it can be compared to various movies, but at this point just about any science fiction will suffer from that. It is worth a rent at the very least.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
saw the blu ray rip, excellent video and audio quality at 1080p. Good movie, a LOT better than I thought it would be given the rotten tomato and imdb ratings which are at like 54%. Yeah, a few plot holes but nothing you can't sorta hand wave away; it did drag on a little bit in parts. The lead actress (brunette) was great to look at but horrible acting, just the same dumb "eh?" face for every reaction. Rest of the actors were great, including Cruise.

Minimal backstory is a bit annoying but I think people can fill in their own bits, my take is
Its pretty much a self-replicating AI, similar to Reapers in Mass Effect. The ship goes from planet to planet, sucks up all the juicy biological resources to restock and fuel up for the next hop. Pyramid Galactus basically.

If no advanced life on the planet, the drones just set up shop and suck up everything. If there is space faring life, it captures a few specimens, clones the hell out of them, sends them down as an invasion force, and then uses a small clone crew to keep the harvesters operational. Its like playing any X3/civ/SC2/etc game, you don't want to spend too many resources protecting your harvesters but just enough to harvest and move on.

I thought that was the best part of the movie, the idea of this giant asshole AI, but it barely got touched. Morgan Freeman was also barely used, although the Kingslayer was goddamn awesome.
Is that rip you got on IPT? All their "HD" rips I've seen are just public tracker cam rips.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, spronk, but...

what they're after seems to be the most common element in the entire universe. There is more of it floating around the edge of the solar system than all the planets have, combined. There is no reason to ever invade or even make themselves known to us.

lnsfobN.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
Is that rip you got on IPT? All their "HD" rips I've seen are just public tracker cam rips.
just search for oblivion 1080p there are 4-5 rips that are all r1/r2 bluray rips that are perfect quality, 11 gigs or so, and some are freeleech. I don't bother with a movie unless its basically 8+ gigs in size and 1080p, nowadays its gotten really confusing since 2 months after theater release there is a HD webrip that is ~3 gigs, then a month later you'll get russian dvd rips that have a different sourced audio track (english), then a month later you get the "best" r1/r2 bluray rips which is what I wait for. fortunately there are so few good movies it isn't that hard to wait. Basically just go to amazon, find the release date of the bluray, and around 2 weeks before that expect to see high quality torrents. Oblivion comes out on bluray August 6th.

and agraza
yeah I agree the water thing was dumb, they are discovering tons of massive jupiter size planets now that are mostly water, so it makes no sense to come to earth for it. I just hand wave it away by assuming the Reaper needs salt or biology by-products (fish poop! algae etc) for some reason. you could also start arguing about how inefficient it must be to clone humans, but then again its scifi so maybe human beings are way better energy wise (to create) than any alien species its encountered before, including its own drones.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I downloaded this one and hadnt seen any trailers or anything about the movie. Going in blind, I actually liked it quite a lot! There were a few plotholes here and there, sure, but this is better than the other big budget movies of the year so far!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I downloaded this one and hadnt seen any trailers or anything about the movie. Going in blind, I actually liked it quite a lot! There were a few plotholes here and there, sure, but this is better than the other big budget movies of the year so far!
I recently saw this and After Earth within the span of a few days. Difference between this movie and After Earth is as large as the thetan levels of Cruise vs Smith. Cruise might be crazy, but he rarely makes bad movies, honestly, the vast majority of them are good. This movie was decent, well shot, ok acting, nice visuals. After Earth was.... Jaden Smiths Wild Wild West.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Yea, spronk, but...

what they're after seems to be the most common element in the entire universe. There is more of it floating around the edge of the solar system than all the planets have, combined. There is no reason to ever invade or even make themselves known to us.

lnsfobN.jpg
wait....i have not seen the movie nor i plan to but....the aliens came to get our water? seriously ? i can accept it in Visitors, just like a can accept the Martians dieng for a virus in the original World of the Worlds....but in a post 2000 movie both things are just plain ridiculous to use as plotpoints. Is this another Scientology based myth ? because it seems their members are specializing in scifi movies with shitty basic ideas

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well they were sucking up a lot of stuff, but explicitly what they wanted remains vague. They probably use all kinds of chemicals that they're absorbing. Most of those are also more easily available well outside the inner system. Earth is just too small to be considered a plentiful source of any resource except self-aware life, which the aliens wiped out.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They were looking for energy, not water. But they were using water-sucking machines to make energy.

fucker_sl

shitlord
The machines were converting the water to hydrogen energy.
which is still a completely retarded thing, considering how hydrogen is the most abundant atom in the universe both in its pure and unpure form

you dont need to travel light years to find a meaningless speck of dirt like earth if you are searching for hydrogen. you just need to turn your gaze in a random direction and you'll find million times more