Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

ShakyJake

<Donor>
check out europa report for a cool scifi movie that is a lot more realistic and interesting, but it highlights the problem: good, solid science scifi movie shot on what had to be a decent (but low) budget. Movie doesn't even sadly get a theater release, instead you have to pay amazon $10 to stream it or pirate it.
Moonwas a good one too.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved the drones. The whole time the movie is looking through their eyes and seeing the Terminator Vision (TM), and they are scanning weapon wielding Tom Cruise, I kept thinking about the ED209 in Robocop and was waiting for the drone to growl "Drop your weapon" at Tom Cruise.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmmm, Will Smith being a clone and being reunited with his wife, getting her pregnant and then sacrificing himself to save humanity....only to have his other clone show up like 3 or 4 years later with the remains of humanity in that region of the world to be with said wife and child must have been in the special edition directors cut.

Also...what unexplained characters?
That is the epilogue, not the ending. The epilogue doesn't even make much sense when you think about it - clone 49 of my dead husband who saved me... clone 52 of my husband... a train of clones... Seriously anyone who happens to look like her dead husband works?

Every character other than Jack Jack entirely lacks exposition.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
check out europa report for a cool scifi movie that is a lot more realistic and interesting, but it highlights the problem: good, solid science scifi movie shot on what had to be a decent (but low) budget. Movie doesn't even sadly get a theater release, instead you have to pay amazon $10 to stream it or pirate it.
Just watched +1 would recommend.

Fadaar

That guy
Watched it the other night, was surprisingly good. Twist was pretty obvious as soon as he zoomed in with the rifle, but interesting nonetheless.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That is the epilogue, not the ending. The epilogue doesn't even make much sense when you think about it - clone 49 of my dead husband who saved me... clone 52 of my husband... a train of clones... Seriously anyone who happens to look like her dead husband works?

Every character other than Jack Jack entirely lacks exposition.
Except except that they explain who every character in the movie it, other than that yes they are all unexplained.

And she just smiled when she saw him, that was it. It's not like she ran over there and jumped on his cock. And there the movie ends. Makes sense to me. -shrug-

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I watched this movie last night. I saw a trailer for it way back in February/March, and made a post (on another forum) with predictions about how I thought the movie plot was, based off of that single 3 minute trailer.

Here's the trailer in question:

And this is the post that I made:
Xarpolis_sl said:
So humans believed they won the war against the Aliens, yet left the planet anyway for some reason. There are "survivors" of the war still living on the planet.

What really happened is the aliens won the war and kicked us off earth. The survivors were people that hid out. Somehow the Aliens made us believe that we won, while we actually lost.

Tom Cruise actually works for the Aliens by patrolling the earth making sure there's nothing out there. When he finds the survivors, he learns the truth, so the Aliens try to stop him. The aliens actually trying to stop him is all of the strange shit you see in the trailer.
That wasn't a bad prediction. The only thing that the trailer didn't spoil was that Tom & the other chick were clones made by the Machine aliens. That they made thousands of them (Morgan Freeman said that in the movie), and that the "real" Tom was like a general or something in the army.

That alone leaves the movie with a plot hole. I think we are to assume that there are thousands of Tom Cruise / British chick "groups" stationed around the world. Each radiation zone is just a buffer to prevent the Tom's from meeting each other. And Tom #52 was able to find the "real" Tom's wife and live happily ever after, but what about all the rest of the Toms? Did they all magically die? Maybe they were all inside a their living quarters thing when the mother ship blew up, so they fell to their death when the flying thing lost power. *shrugs* They'll probably make a sequel about all of the other Tom's out there.

Overall I did like the movie. I just dislike how much of the plot these fucking trailers give away. It's pathetic. I know that the studios aren't responsible for making the trailer, but they should at least have SOME say in it. A trailer should only be allowed to show footage from the first 1/2 of the movie. Never the second, and DEFINITELY not the finale. Yet they all seem to do that. Pathetic.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Was better than Elysium and overall one of the better Sci-Fi films out there.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Overall I did like the movie. I just dislike how much of the plot these fucking trailers give away. It's pathetic. I know that the studios aren't responsible for making the trailer, but they should at least have SOME say in it. A trailer should only be allowed to show footage from the first 1/2 of the movie. Never the second, and DEFINITELY not the finale. Yet they all seem to do that. Pathetic.
There wouldn't be a need to give away the plot in the trailers if the movie had more than one predictable twist followed by nonsensical action that is glued together by nonsensical dialogue.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did say though that when I watched this, I hadnt seen a single trailer and knew nothing about it other than Tom Cruise and it being Sci-Fi. I think it was a lot more enjoyable. After watching the trailer after the film, I would have been pissed if I saw it before hand. Sure you could probably guess out some plot points, but far too much was revealed.

I think it might be a good plan going into these movies blind. Dont watch any trailers, just wait for a favorable iMDB or RT rating.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I usually watch the first minute or so of trailers then exit them. It usually gives me a general feel if I'm going to enjoy the movie without giving away the plot.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Worst ever was the Tom Hanks movie Castaway when the trailer showed his homecoming after being rescued.

blumpster_sl

shitlord
This movie is incredible. It feels like a stripped down The Matrix. I really enjoyed the lack of solid/scientific information. It relies heavily on emotional investment into the characters, and I can see how someone could feel cheated by the seemingly shallow ending, but the truth is it's the exact opposite of shallow. It's pretty fucking deep, like the Abyss deep, that this woman willingly loves a clone of her husband, and the now self-aware clone accepts himself and the echoes of his former, and concurrent (the other clones), lives. The way the human resistance was downplayed in lieu of focusing on the story of Jack was done extremely well. There's a bit of religious vibe going on, too, where Jack and his clones are like the various prophets of god that religions base themselves around. Freeman's character even states that he was "the best of us," and eventually he delivers unto them salvation. And although he's the prophet, he's still just a man wanting nothing more than a peaceful, love filled life. I had very low expectations going in, and was rewarded with one of the better movies I've seen in the last five years.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Except except that they explain who every character in the movie it, other than that yes they are all unexplained.

And she just smiled when she saw him, that was it. It's not like she ran over there and jumped on his cock. And there the movie ends. Makes sense to me. -shrug-
I meant to respond to this before but.... she also tells the kid that he's her father as opposed to uncle or father's twin.

I did say though that when I watched this, I hadnt seen a single trailer and knew nothing about it other than Tom Cruise and it being Sci-Fi. I think it was a lot more enjoyable. After watching the trailer after the film, I would have been pissed if I saw it before hand. Sure you could probably guess out some plot points, but far too much was revealed.

I think it might be a good plan going into these movies blind. Dont watch any trailers, just wait for a favorable iMDB or RT rating.
I hadn't even heard of the movie when I saw it and actively dislike it
wink.png

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Always with the fucking clone bullshit. This movie sucked. Was fun to watch visually but the story was piss poor.

Titan_sl

shitlord
Was surprisingly good. Went in without watching any trailers aside from quick TV promos. Would recommend to someone for sure.

am I the only one that expected his wife to be a clone that the Aliens sent to infiltrate the Humans? Thought for sure when the drones came into the human outpost she was gonna start blasting Humans from the back end. Was disappointed that it didnt turn out that way