Octopath Traveler

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Never mind, decided against it at full price.

It's an ok game, but I never finished it. Saw the price on it, and no. It's not worth it in my opinion. Wait until a 50% drop at least. Put it on wishlist and wait for the summer sale.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The bigger issues for me were the areas all being the size of a shoebox and the battle system not having a quarter of the depth (or fun) of Bravely ______. Even when I cheesed the game by stealing all the high level gear in T3+ towns and using 3 OP characters + 1 gimp whose story it was, the combat was still a slog.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Never mind, decided against it at full price.

i haven't played it either. right there with you on waiting for a sale, tho. we've waited this long, what's a bit longer. i've got other games in my backlog already anyway.

• 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Definitely not worth full price. It’s fun at the beginning and scratches the old school rpg itch, but combat becomes a huge slog and the structure of the game makes the characters and story pretty much trash

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The combat stops being so dumb when you unlock the advanced classes, but that's like the final quarter of the game anyway and it can be pretty dull getting there. There's far less cross-class synergy between skills than you'd think, and all your characters eventually just end up all using the same passive skills because there's just obvious best choices. Then you unlock the advanced jobs which make everything else look like hot garbage, then the game ends.

It's pretty, and the music is really good, and it's a cool idea, but ultimately it just lacks the depth needed to really keep a JRPG interesting for 30+ hours.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Kung Fu Reaction GIF

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What, no Octopath 2 threads?
I played it, it’s basically the same game as the first with some decent improvements. If you liked the first you’ll likely like the second better. Hopefully if they do a third one they attempt to combine the storylines into one cohesive one, it’s still just eight separate stories. I’d also like to see them do something like chained echoes where you can use all eight and swap characters in and out so it doesn’t get so monotonous when you have one group makeup for a while.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I got through a few of the stories at the recommended level so the boss fights were interesting, but once you step past that and start getting end game powerups the remaining ones fall over and you don't get to experience any challenge until final bosses. 5-6 would have been a better number for what they are going for, or they do have to condense the story dynamics.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got through a few of the stories at the recommended level so the boss fights were interesting, but once you step past that and start getting end game powerups the remaining ones fall over and you don't get to experience any challenge until final bosses. 5-6 would have been a better number for what they are going for, or they do have to condense the story dynamics.
Yeah that was another poor design. Locking you into having one main character for some reason made it so you had one guy who was 30% higher level than everyone and absolutely wrecking everything while your less played characters were at lower appropriate levels and being carried by your main the whole time. They should have either gave the main you select an exp penalty, or not locked you into someone. The stories were so disconnected I’m not even why they locked you into a main character anyways.