Octopath Traveler

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just started playing and got through Olberics first chapter, game seems pretty fun. Kinda dumb how right after the first chapter it says to try other characters. Spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to switch characters before looking it up and seeing that you can’t, just gotta play through with your OG until you meet up with them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea you're supposed to just travel to all the other "starting" cities for the first part of the game and recruit everyone. The game is level-gated in such a way to make this the only real option, as all the other areas are level 20+ so you have little choice but walk the entire circuit of starting areas to get leveled enough to move on to chapter 2 stuff.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
People do recommend while you are recruiting all 8 characters to grab some easy job shrines along the way. Early setups include Therion/Apothecary, Primrose/Scholar, Cyrus/Cleric, and then Warrior on whoever to fill out the party. Dancer is also a close grab but the last map is a level 20+ area so you might want encounter reduction + flee your way to get it early.

All Shrine Locations Map
all-shrines-map-complete-octopath-traveler.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I was wondering about 2nd class setups. I think I have mine all messed up. What about advanced job shrines. Do you have to be a certain level to get them or can you make it to them in your 20's

Malakriss

Yeah I was wondering about 2nd class setups. I think I have mine all messed up. What about advanced job shrines. Do you have to be a certain level to get them or can you make it to them in your 20's
You have to fight high level bosses for the 4 advanced shrines while the basic 8 are freebies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Advanced job shrine bosses are recommended level 50. For early job setups I had Therion/Apocthecary, Olberic/Hunter, Primrose/Cleric and Cyrus/Merchant. Beat those four stories first, now working on the last four.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So the general consensus here is still positive after putting some time in? I have an instinctive dislike of the disjointed, never-unifying plot structure but I enjoyed the demo and the combat and if that's enough I'll pick it up.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I've been enjoying it, but yeah the combat does carry it a bit. I've finished four of the eight stories and I only disliked one of them. There is a very slight connection between the stories but you do have to pay attention to details or you will miss it. From what I understand there is a hidden dungeon once you beat the eight stories but haven't gotten that far yet.

Merrith

Guy complaining about random encounters and the dialogue so much, it's ironic that the worst thing in this video is his voice whining about why he dislikes everything so much. I'd rather play through the game and dislike it normally rather than listen to him explain why he dislikes anything.

• 1Salty

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not even sure why he'd play the game, he has a long history of hating jrpgs. I guess gotta make a video about something?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Probably just doesn't want to come off as slobbering over everything Nintendo does, thus the Reggie joke at the end :)

Malakriss

Holy f%$# at getting 4th Thieving Tip in Grandport and loot bonanza! CHEEZE THIS EARLY IF YOU CAN. Literally just a crowd of NPCs standing around in the marketplace waiting to be stolen from and nearly all become 100% with the 4th tip. Grab the spear one, then the dagger one, then the hat one, then the bow one...

The NPC with the 4th tip is inside a blocked building though, had to read up a cheese tip for Olberic/Apothecary to poison the guy for 1100 damage a turn while you twiddle your thumbs and self heal occasionally. My 17 Olberic did it fine but afterwards my 30 Cyrus' scrutinize was only 16%, luckily you can save scum it.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Holy f%$# at getting 4th Thieving Tip in Grandport and loot bonanza! CHEEZE THIS EARLY IF YOU CAN. Literally just a crowd of NPCs standing around in the marketplace waiting to be stolen from and nearly all become 100% with the 4th tip. Grab the spear one, then the dagger one, then the hat one, then the bow one...

The NPC with the 4th tip is inside a blocked building though, had to read up a cheese tip for Olberic/Apothecary to poison the guy for 1100 damage a turn while you twiddle your thumbs and self heal occasionally. My 17 Olberic did it fine but afterwards my 30 Cyrus' scrutinize was only 16%, luckily you can save scum it.
I have no idea what you just said but it sounds amazeballs. Time to get this game.

• 1Solidarity