Oculus Rift

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's not really obvious no. They could have offered a rebate based on the kickstarting amount sure, but giving them free when the minimum kickstarter amount is probably gonna be several hundreds of dollars lower than the cost of the product, on top of the dev kits themselves, that's quite a gesture to reward the early backers.

At the same time I guess they take that money off the advertising funds, it's good publicity to announce this kind of stuff and it'll probably be all over the tech/gaming press and shit, doing free publicity for the Rift preorder release and such.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My guess is it will be identical to the standard but have a little emblem embossed onto the case and maybe the rift itself. I think I'm going to preorder a normal one too.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Palmer has also said they are bringing back the plastic carrying case that the DK1 had (vs just a cardboard box for the DK2) since it was so popular. Kind of meh to me but there are people out there who may care.

spronk

FPS noob
thats pretty awesome kickstarters get a free CV1, very cool of them

Valve/HTC Vive announcement, shipping in April no price or other details though?
HTC unveils Vive Pre, its second-generation VR system | Android Central

I guess the big thing is that it will have a built in front face camera?

Damn that headset looks like something out of Splinter Cell
htc-vive-pre-1_0.jpg

Caliane

well a front face camera does seem like an obvious, and really useful addition. Both so you can swap to a "live" mode, and not be totally blind with those rigs on your head. And so you can make "games" which utilize the real world as part of the game.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The lack of a front facing camera is one of my big disappointments with the Rift.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Heh, showing that off will probably get a lot of people to doubt jumping on the Rift. Not that they'll have any problem selling out whatever they're allocating for pre-orders, but serves as a reminder of how new and evolving this technology segment is. Front facing camera makes a lot of sense and using it to do augmented reality stuff could be pretty awesome. Even just the chaperone stuff described (bleeding in the real world as you approach boundaries so you don't bump into things, etc) sounds really nice and useful.

Fun times ahead.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
List of countries that will be able to preorder tomorrow:

From the Kickstarter reward:

This offer is only available in the following countries where Oculus Rift is shipping: United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, and Taiwan.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They need to release a price ASAP. Decisions need to be made.
Don't be silly, this is like any other consumer product release.

Really though, this is silly. Makes it seem like they're going to say 'surprise! $1k!'

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't be silly, this is like any other consumer product release.

Really though, this is silly. Makes it seem like they're going to say 'surprise! $1k!'
$1k and I'm going to stick with my Samsung VR, and wait on the Playstation VR and VIVE. We aren't even for sure that the same PC that runs the Rift will run the VIVE.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are they going to release Leisure Suit Larry for it? I might buy it if they do...

Northerner

N00b
Although excited for the tech, I think I'll wait for the next generation before pulling the trigger. Hopefully there will be plenty of early-adopters though!

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They need to release a price ASAP. Decisions need to be made.
Thats exactly why marketing department isnt showing a price tag. Theyd miss out on the impulse buys if youd be able to sleep/think twice before tapping the "buy now" button like a hot bunnies bottom.