Oculus Rift

spronk

FPS noob
probably a week before ship I'd imagine. The ship date keeps moving, new orders are now up to May 2016 (the first batch at 8am PST are all March 2016).

you can't cancel online though, you'd have to call them up to cancel

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
He supposedly said that you will not be charged until the unit ships. When I looked at their pre-order page it was saying expected ship date is May. The Vive, if it's not delayed again, is coming in April. I'm comfortable waiting, even if Rift does run out of stock.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Also shots fired!

rrr_img_122257.jpg

Edit: Damn, I've been had by a parody account.

Caliane

If I had the money I would probably buy. these are my thoughts on it.

Maybe the KS itself shows there is enough desire for this to be really supported. but, buying a final product aids this even more, if we do hope to see actual games made.
gen1 is going to suck though. gen2 within a year. With a camera... Can you afford to buy one now, and another 1 year from now?
that camera on the Vive changes everything honestly. even if I had the money, that camera gives me immediate pause.

In the end, I am poor, so not going to bite, as much as I would like to, if I had the disposable income. My PC isn't even close to being powerful enough to use it, in the first place.
(I should point out, I couldn't even really afford one, even at a 200-350 price point. need a good 500 or more to get the pc up to par first.)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Vive isn't gonna be any cheaper though, that's just an impossibility. On the other hand, Vive has a lot more stuff in it, so while it may be more expensive, it could be better value. The room scaling lighthouse whatever, which from my understanding will only come later to Occulus with the Occulus Touch that you'll have to buy on top of the Rift, and Vive comes with a controller too while Rift is just bundled with a generic xbox controller(that might be the Occulus Touch too, frankly I have no real idea, just seen the argument between the 2).

But yeah shit's expensive, as expected. They say it's industry standard to not announce the price when you announce the preorder, but if it was 400 they probably would have announced it right away. They didn't cause they knew it was expensive, so there was no point in announcing it beforehand. It's still selling anyway so whatever.

That said, it's PC luxury, which is an fairly good market. There's plenty of people buying SLI video cards and the Titan and gigantic screens/multiple screens and 150hz screens and shiny keyboards and whatever else, so yeah I don't think it'll be an issue for sales if it has a high price point. 2nd gen will probably be just as expensive too, but they might have a "lite" version that's based on the first gen with some improvements for a more accessible price at that point. That's how I assume they'll go forward, instead of trying to reduce costs. That's how video cards industry has been working for a while.

I expect the PSVR to be 400-450, since Sony might be able to make the money back on software and console sales and shit like that, so they don't have to sell at component prices if they don't want to. Also cause their shit is less powerful than the others I think?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The real cost is higher, unless you have the top 1% PC you need to run this. I went to the Alienware website, and the only Oculus certfied PC was $1,199. The keyboard was 99, and screen was 699. And then it's 730 for the Rift.

I will most likely try to run the Rift on my Asus, and tweak the graphical settings of the games down. On the preorder site, there is a program to tell you if your PC is ready.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alienware trying to sell their pricy shit though, doesn't really mean you need a 1k$ PC to run games, as usual for PC gaming it depends on settings and game optimization. Some games will require better PC cause they're optimized like shit, others won't. But yeah obviously you need a pretty good PC on top.

Northerner

N00b
Ha! My i5-2500K isn't good enough for Oculus. I mean, it *is* the oldest thing in my system (well, MB same age) by far but I'm curious about just how CPU intensive this Oculus thing actually is! They do mention that they are emphasizing single-core performance too, which concerns me slightly.

Either way, next generation I'm on board.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah why the hell would you even consider an Alienware? Especialy if you care about the budget. That's retarted.

Caliane

well if you are the kind of person to spend 600 on a gen1 Oculus rift.. you are the kind of person to buy an Alienware pc. haha.

spronk

FPS noob
it sucks timing wise too since nvidia pascal isn't due out until late(r?) this year, and that is a huge jump in tech for video cards. Going to HBM2 memory from GDDR5, 16nm fab, shift from 2D transistor layout to 3D planar, theoretically lower power usage, etc. It would really suck to drop $500+ on a video card now and 3 months later a card that is 2x or more better come out at nearly a similar price.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
If I had the money I would probably buy. these are my thoughts on it.
Real talk - if you were in a position to have the money you probably wouldn't want a device like this. There is a correlation between why you want it and why you don't have the money.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Real talk - if you were in a position to have the money you probably wouldn't want a device like this. There is a correlation between why you want it and why you don't have the money.
Hmm I'd say it's maybe kinda like a bell curve? If you don't have the money you really want it, if you have enough money you're kinda meh, and if you have way too much money, you really want it cause why not.

But really depends on people though.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
it sucks timing wise too since nvidia pascal isn't due out until late(r?) this year, and that is a huge jump in tech for video cards. Going to HBM2 memory from GDDR5, 16nm fab, shift from 2D transistor layout to 3D planar, theoretically lower power usage, etc. It would really suck to drop $500+ on a video card now and 3 months later a card that is 2x or more better come out at nearly a similar price.
Which why it's probably not worth it to buy first gen.

It's the first rule of gadget/electronics shopping - never buy first gen of anything unless there's a hole in your life shaped exactly like the product. Alternatively, consider a buttplug.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ha! My i5-2500K isn't good enough for Oculus. I mean, it *is* the oldest thing in my system (well, MB same age) by far but I'm curious about just how CPU intensive this Oculus thing actually is! They do mention that they are emphasizing single-core performance too, which concerns me slightly.

Either way, next generation I'm on board.
How does this thing not work with an i2500K? It isn't like they have made that many advancements in CPU tech over the last 3 and a half years. I haven't upgraded my 2500k because I never need too at this rate. I know it will be CPU compute heavy, but good lord. Single core.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah why the hell would you even consider an Alienware? Especialy if you care about the budget. That's retarted.
It's the only PC that is Oculus certified. As Tuco said in another thread, there are hidden specs that no one is sure about. I'm not buying one, I went to look at the price.

When they release the other certified PC's, I'll decide.

Malkav

French Madman
"certified" "hidden specs"
Please allow me to roll my eyes at this marketing non sense.