Oculus Rift

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I am pretty susceptible to motion sickness and as bad as I want something like this I can't get one until that's fixed.
You mean you or the VR? lol. Pretty sure if it is meant to emulate motion then it's always going to be a problem. Dramamine?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
People who can't do VR without getting sick will just guarantee humanity will have resistance fighters when the robots try to take over matrix style.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The price seemed pretty crazy, then I remembered people are spending more on g-sync and freesync monitors.

For me Valve FPS games give me intense motion sickness and head aches, no way I would buy a VR headset until I can spend time with them and find out if they cause similar problems.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
G-sync monitors are useful for all your games though since they're just general use monitors. VR is only useful for stuff that's built to work with VR. You can kinda hack shitty VR support in a lot of stuff, but for really good VR stuff it seems you need to make a decent amount of decisions so it runs without a hitch.

And you mean source games? Pretty sure you can adjust FOV in all source games, so you can just do that? I know I get queazy with too low FOV but generally I'm fine if I increase it. Haven't been a large issue. But yeah probably testing the headsets first would be a good idea for a 600$ purchase regardless.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
G-sync monitors are useful for all your games though since they're just general use monitors. VR is only useful for stuff that's built to work with VR. You can kinda hack shitty VR support in a lot of stuff, but for really good VR stuff it seems you need to make a decent amount of decisions so it runs without a hitch.
*-sync monitors aren't really adding anything new though, they're a PQ improvement. To my mind though both are too expensive for what they add, I expect within 1-2 years they'll be half the price or dead like nvidia's 3D vision tech.

And you mean source games? Pretty sure you can adjust FOV in all source games, so you can just do that? I know I get queazy with too low FOV but generally I'm fine if I increase it. Haven't been a large issue. But yeah probably testing the headsets first would be a good idea for a 600$ purchase regardless.
Going back to Halflife they've caused me issues. It may be fixable but I'm not going to buy the games and spend time making myself sick to see if changing values fixes the problem. Really its absurd they haven't bothered to fix it as it isn't an uncommon issue with their games.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I only get sick in first person views where it's walking, skiing, etc. I got sick in Dread Halls, and also on a skiing demo.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Do you get sick doing those things otherwise?

Like I'm curious how it feels skiing if you actually ski. Is it the desync between your senses or just what you would normally experience?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you get sick doing those things otherwise?

Like I'm curious how it feels skiing if you actually ski. Is it the desync between your senses or just what you would normally experience?
I don't get sick walking in a house (ala Dread Halls) or skiing in real life. No one knows why this is happening, I believe NASA's theory is that the body thinks its hallucinating because its poisoned, so it wants to vomit it out. And the fix is supposed to be a fake nose. Really.

I am one of the 55% of gamers that get motion sick during shooting games. Oddly enough, it's not every shooting game that makes me sick. I have no problems playing Destiny for hours on end.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
The old FPS's like Wolfenstein and Doom would make me sick, but since they got better graphics I haven't had a problem. It was just something about the 2D to 3D conversion I think.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I don't get sick walking in a house (ala Dread Halls) or skiing in real life. No one knows why this is happening, I believe NASA's theory is that the body thinks its hallucinating because its poisoned, so it wants to vomit it out. And the fix is supposed to be a fake nose. Really.

I am one of the 55% of gamers that get motion sick during shooting games. Oddly enough, it's not every shooting game that makes me sick. I have no problems playing Destiny for hours on end.
Prescription marijuana to help with VR sickness 2016! I wonder what it'd be like eating mushrooms while using VR... I lost myself in a game of League of Legends one time.

I don't really get sick playing games (at least not badly). I get headaches mostly if I play Elder Scrolls or Fallout too long on the pc (like more than 30-60 minutes, but i'm fine if i'm on the couch and it's on console, I can go for 10 hours no problem). I'm sure there would be other similar games that do it but I don't play a massive variety of games.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Some interesting stuff in there, like the round FOV (Vive) vs rectangular FOV (Rift):

SteamVR... everything outside the circular target is aggressively culled with a stencil mesh and not rendered.

OVR does not [cull outside the target]] with the rationale that those "extra" pixels are potentially useful for asynchronous timewarp, which is expected to finally arrive for Rift with CV1.

If you don't render those pixels at all, you can't work that trick. Both approaches have their advantages in different circumstances. Culling makes it easier to hit your render target, timewarp/retroprojection makes it less disturbing for the user when you can't.
plus the note that the guy felt nauseous even in the "ideal" VR situation of EVE Valkyrie, once he started doing barrel rolls - again it's the discrepancy between what you're seeing (the world spinning) and what the rest of your body is telling you (everything is stationary).

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
um what? That statistic seems rather suspect.

I mean by gamer does it mean "anyone who has ever played a game ever including candy crush" and so they extrapolate that of the general population (who play games, ie everyone) only 45% play shooters so the other 55% must get motion sickness from them? I mean what.

if we're talking real gamers, then 90% of gamers play shooters, and i've never heard of people getting motion sickness from them. I mean sure that's anecdotal but never met anyone who gets motion sickness from playing shooters. What's not anecdotal, I've never seen the thousands and thousands of articles that would of been written if this 55% figure was anywhere close to being the case, nor have I seen the tens of millions of dollars in research in graphics, UI improvements, syncing improvements, FOV, etc improvements specifically to counter motion sickness that would of been spent, if the majority of your players couldn't actually play the games that they are currently playing. But they are playing them, so did you forget a decimal here? like 5.5%? or maybe, 0.55%? that seems more reasonable.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's definitely not 55%, but it's not as small as 5% either. Simulation sickness is a pretty big deal for FPS games, and it's why FOV sliders are such a huge deal for a lot of people.