Oculus Rift

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
like any DK1/2 users still actually use their systems weekly?
I think it just highly depends on games. I used my DK2 quite a bit while I was playing Elite Dangerous. There haven't really been any big games since then that work with the Rift. Eve: Valkyrie looks like it might be fun. If you're into Racing sims I could see you using it all the time too.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am hearing the driver switching around to the different SDK's because nobody is using the same version is still a pain in the dick. Is that true?

A guy at work I was talking to this morning has a DK2 and he built some python scripts for switching and even that is a pain he says. He is suggesting I wait until the software is better.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yeah, the fragmentation of the SDK has been a big pain. A while ago I was looking to try Elite again until I found out it currently only runs on 0.5, which can also butt fuck Windows 10 (As in won't even load anymore). Hopefully once they release 1.0 they'll stop with the major compatibly issues between versions.

spronk

FPS noob
palmer said if your 3d mark score is above 9k you should be ok for rift. You can get a free trial demo of 3D mark here (or run it in steam)
3DMark on Steam

click get the demo on the right side, its a 1.7 gig install. run fire strike (3d one)

my score is 7500
frown.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I am hearing the driver switching around to the different SDK's because nobody is using the same version is still a pain in the dick. Is that true?

A guy at work I was talking to this morning has a DK2 and he built some python scripts for switching and even that is a pain he says. He is suggesting I wait until the software is better.
It's a huge issue and one of the large barriers to providing good user support and a wide library of easily usable games for the DK2. But it's a beta/developer version so that's to be expected.

For the CV1, I expect the following:

1. The CV1 will work out of the box with a decent offering of free games.
2. That people will, within the first few weeks, re-publish most of the popular DK2 games and demos (for free or very inexpensively) for the CV1.
2a. That people will continue to make new demos and games that are either free or very inexpensive.
3. That there will be some decent triple A games with integrated Rift support in 2016. Not many, but enough to matter.
4. That the vorpx guys will get good CV1 integration to allow people to use a passable VR experience with games like GTA5, Skyrim etc.
5. That all the above will continue to work indefinitely with the CV1 as it gets patched.
6. That the CV1 will be able to be used with all new Rift VR experiences for 2-3 years.
7. That the amount of stuff learned by the VR industry in the next couple years will allow for the creation of a new VR system that makes backwards compatibility infeasible and undesirable. At this point in time the CV1 will become obsolete and nobody will use it.

TLDR: I expect the CV1 to be an amazing VR platform for two years, then I expect to buy another one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that sounds like a decent guess. That's why I'm mostly considering buying the PS4 shitty one first, it won't cost as much(mostly cause I don't need to buy a new PC to use it) and will be nice to check out the whole thing, and then see what the future versions of the rift/vive/whatever if someone else launches one look like.

Although we'll see, I tend to get into impulse buying mode sometimes, so a crazy game announcing VR support might get me interested. Say, Elder Scrolls 6 for example.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
palmer said if your 3d mark score is above 9k you should be ok for rift. You can get a free trial demo of 3D mark here (or run it in steam)
3DMark on Steam

click get the demo on the right side, its a 1.7 gig install. run fire strike (3d one)

my score is 7500
frown.png
may grab another 970 and maybe I7s are worth the price now.
7dwgffK.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
13810, I have an off the shelf dell from costco and added on an SSD and geforce980ti

rrr_img_121988.jpg

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Now by recommended do they mean minimum? Because that would change things. I always figured the recommended is what is used as a benchmark for a gauranteed smooth experience. I always have a system in between recommended and minimum requirements, but am usually able to play what I want pretty well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Now by recommended do they mean minimum? Because that would change things. I always figured the recommended is what is used as a benchmark for a gauranteed smooth experience. I always have a system in between recommended and minimum requirements, but am usually able to play what I want pretty well.
Well it's a baseline, but in the end it depends on the game and the settings. Like some games will definitely have higher recommended settings than those, so in this case, the best you can afford is probably what you want. Can always hit the graphic quality to keep it smooth though, just like normal gaming. Like removing shadows and reducing AA and so on. Obviously it'll look a lot more garbage, but should still be a good enough experience.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Obviously it'll look a lot more garbage, but should still be a good enough experience.
My Samsung VR is powered off of the phone and looks fine (enough). At the end of the day, it's about having less than 20 ms lag, any more and people get pukey. Some of the best games on there have crappy graphics.

As Tuco said in the other thread, his graphics card weighs 5x more than the Samsung set up. I'm anxious to see what a high powered rig will do. Because the cell phone version is impressive enough. And in many cases, because the hard drive is so small, we are looking at compressed textures.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
anyone tried it? wondering if theres any kickass games coming out with it.
thankfully my system is good enugh for the recommended specs for this.
It's great for something like Elite where being able to look around you is a big advantage. The downside is that the graphics are going to be low resolution compared to what you see on your monitor.

One of the issues with VR in games is that it works best when your actual position mirrors the position of your character in game, and when there's a discrepancy between the two (e.g. even something like your in-game character running while in reality you are sat down) you can get the equivalent of motion sickness. YMMV on how much of a problem that is; people get used to it with time. That leads to another minor quibble that a few people have where the height of their in-game character is significantly different from their own, so that virtual cars, buildings, etc. look slightly off to them. I can see there being a myriad of settings to play with in VR games to make them feel comfortable.

Caliane

It's great for something like Elite where being able to look around you is a big advantage. The downside is that the graphics are going to be low resolution compared to what you see on your monitor.

One of the issues with VR in games is that it works best when your actual position mirrors the position of your character in game, and when there's a discrepancy between the two (e.g. even something like your in-game character running while in reality you are sat down) you can get the equivalent of motion sickness. YMMV on how much of a problem that is; people get used to it with time. That leads to another minor quibble that a few people have where the height of their in-game character is significantly different from their own, so that virtual cars, buildings, etc. look slightly off to them. I can see there being a myriad of settings to play with in VR games to make them feel comfortable.
yeah, people in reddit were talking about it.
the huge problem is, games are not made for it. Most specifically, HUDS and UI's are not made for it. taking any 3d world/game, and rendering it in 3d is no problem at all. but MENUS are designed to be 2d, and 1ft-3ft away from your eyes, and accessed with a mouse, and flush with the screen.

They also pointed out alot of things in game, taken for granted, to add "realistic motion" to a flat screen. Head bob, motion blur, etc. All totally fuck you up. "
Then, point of view issues, as noted. the joke of how in shooters, the player characters gun is coming out of their head.

This is all stuff that makes porting between Rift, and normal gaming pretty much impossible imho. A bigger jump then even Wii or Wiiu, and they don't do it most of the time.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got an email this morning, if I'm reading this right I get a free special version of the new one???

Thank you from Oculus

Posted by Oculus

Friends,
On August 1, 2012, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to seed the development of a groundbreaking virtual reality headset - Oculus Rift.
Tomorrow, we'll be opening Rift pre-orders on Oculus.com. This is a major milestone on the path to putting great VR in the hands of millions.
You're going to experience thrilling adventures in Lucky's Tale and Edge of Nowhere, feel your heart race as you scale mountains in The Climb, and become a rockstar in Rockband VR. You'll create and share something magical in Oculus Medium and participate in the ultimate space dogfighting in EVE: Valkyrie. As one of the early supporters of Oculus, you helped make this revolution happen. And before we open Rift pre-orders to the world, we wanted to share one more special update with you, our Kickstarter community.
As a small token of our appreciation for your support, all Kickstarter backers who pledged for a Rift development kit will get a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift! And like all Rift pre-order purchasers, you'll receive a bundled copy of Lucky's Tale and EVE: Valkyrie.
To claim your free Rift, fill out the survey you'll receive from Kickstarter before February 1, 2016 and provide a shipping address that is located in one of the 20 countries Rift is launching in. For those who don't live in one of those 20 countries, we're working on an alternative, and you can let us know your preference in the form.
You were there at the beginning of our journey -- we couldn't have done it without you. Today marks a new chapter.

? Play video

Thank you!
-- Palmer, Brendan, Nate, Michael

Comment on Kickstarter

Want to keep up with projects you love on the go? Try Kickstarter for iPhone and iPad!
Don't want to receive updates from this project? That's okay, you can unsubscribe.

Kickstarter ? 58 Kent St, Brooklyn NY 11222 ?Kickstarter

Contact Us

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What's the difference between a regular Oc and the kickstarter edition? There has to be a catch here. That is a huge bonus for backing a kickstarter.

Caliane

is it? I mean, if you fund enough for a dev kit, $275 or more, I'd have been more surprised if you didn't get a final version.