Office and gaming chairs

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I just put in an order for some stuff for the office and included this one that isn't glass but seemed to be close. The only reason I didn't default go with the glass mat was because the size I wanted was $140 or something from Lorell which seemed to be recommended. Needed to get an order in before going on business trip so couldn't wait until our Costco trip, although could have ordered it through costco.com in retrospect.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just a heads up there is no price difference between a Steelcase Gesture with headrest and an Embody or Herman Miller anymore.

Steelcase just hiked prices to 1,600$ and Bestbuy is retailing Gesture's for 1,700$ in line with the new MSRP.

I never thought my Gesture would become some rare artifact I need to protect.

This country is fucked. I expected price to go down to 1,100 to 1,000. Not increase to record highs.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just a heads up there is no price difference between a Steelcase Gesture with headrest and an Embody or Herman Miller anymore.

Steelcase just hiked prices to 1,600$ and Bestbuy is retailing Gesture's for 1,700$ in line with the new MSRP.

I never thought my Gesture would become some rare artifact I need to protect.

This country is fucked. I expected price to go down to 1,100 to 1,000. Not increase to record highs.
This timeline's Mad Max will be people scooting around in spike covered office chairs

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This timeline's Mad Max will be people scooting around in spike covered office chairs

I would have taken better care of my Gesture if I knew this was going to be the case. It was a real bloodboiler finding out the price is through the roof now.

Spilled stuff on the seat and already burned the fabric in a small area by doing some dry-cleaning tactics except accidentally touched hot metal to the chair inadvertently this time.

So I'm calling Steelcase and Crandall (if steelcase can't offer options, aftermarket might be able to) about doing a full seat replacement down the road. Certainly won't be covered by warranty I don't think since I damaged it myself and didn't buy accident insurance AFAIK.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I just put in an order for some stuff for the office and included this one that isn't glass but seemed to be close. The only reason I didn't default go with the glass mat was because the size I wanted was $140 or something from Lorell which seemed to be recommended. Needed to get an order in before going on business trip so couldn't wait until our Costco trip, although could have ordered it through costco.com in retrospect.

I've had one of those for a bit over a year and it shows no signs of cracking. The only complaint I have is it does shift around a little on the carpet over time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've had one of those for a bit over a year and it shows no signs of cracking. The only complaint I have is it does shift around a little on the carpet over time.

That's good to know. I'm out this week on business in Nashville so won't get to try it out until this weekend. Don't do too much sliding around on my new desk setup so hopefully it won't shift too much. Measured my pile using a suggested method from YouTube and it looked not quite 3/4" so seemed pretty high. And I'm only 160 lbs on a cheat day :rolleyes:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I spent about a year looking for the perfect chair. I own aeron millers, bought other chairs 1-2k in price etc. Basically spent like 7k with not being good for like 14 hour gaming sessions. Then I finally found the only chair I've ever had that truely has no fatigue from sitting in it. I don't have to shift my weight and sit differently after 4 hours. I was looking into "24 hour" chairs that are used by 911 operators etc. Most chairs just aren't designed for a full blown gaming nerd.

Then I found that stressless makes office chairs. I had to track down a store that actually carried them as they start at 3k. And take 6 months to a year to get. Some standard configs exist in a warehouse on the east coast, but all others are custom order. Stressless Mayfair Office Chair by Ekornes You can go sit in normal stressless chairs which are easy to find, but they sit lower than the office version. The office version is rare, cause who is really buying 3k office chairs? Was the best decision for me. I may buy another for my second office. Since I work from home, I spend more time in the chair than I do my bed. Obviously this is a big purchase for "just an office chair". I wish I had done it sooner.

I just thought I had to do my duty cause you can google best chair for days, and you just keep seeing the same stuff, get a used aeron milleron craigslist, get the embody, "i like my secret labs chair" etc. I bought 2 different secret lab titan chairs, gave em to employees. I even bought expensive aeron miller pad upgrades, different heat supports, padded arm rest covers.

I guess one side effect of the quest for the best chair possible was that lots of employees got upgrades. I'm just glad I found the stressless as I was considering having a presidential chair made for like 13k. Literally the companies that build the chair to suit for a president in the oval office.

View attachment 440210
Considering the desk chair and our bed are the things we spend the most time in , neither should be skimped on.

• 1Truth!

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
I would have taken better care of my Gesture if I knew this was going to be the case. It was a real bloodboiler finding out the price is through the roof now.

Spilled stuff on the seat and already burned the fabric in a small area by doing some dry-cleaning tactics except accidentally touched hot metal to the chair inadvertently this time.

So I'm calling Steelcase and Crandall (if steelcase can't offer options, aftermarket might be able to) about doing a full seat replacement down the road. Certainly won't be covered by warranty I don't think since I damaged it myself and didn't buy accident insurance AFAIK.
Have you used a Steelcase Leap? Would love your opinion on Gesture vs. Leap if so. I love the Leap I have work, and was planning on picking one up for home, but I'm tempted to upgrade to Gesture. Last time I tried to upgrade though I grabbed an Embody which caused me an extreme amount of back pain that persists almost 2 years later. More recently I picked up a Secret Lab Omega which is okay but way uncomfortably firm and the backrest is all weird. Too much pressure with the lumbar pillow, too little support without. Makes me feel like an idiot for not just getting the Leap right out of the gate, when I knew I liked em.

Amazon has Gesture's for $960. Seems to good to be true, am I missing something here?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have you used a Steelcase Leap? Would love your opinion on Gesture vs. Leap if so. I love the Leap I have work, and was planning on picking one up for home, but I'm tempted to upgrade to Gesture. Last time I tried to upgrade though I grabbed an Embody which caused me an extreme amount of back pain that persists almost 2 years later. More recently I picked up a Secret Lab Omega which is okay but way uncomfortably firm and the backrest is all weird. Too much pressure with the lumbar pillow, too little support without. Makes me feel like an idiot for not just getting the Leap right out of the gate, when I knew I liked em.

Amazon has Gesture's for $960. Seems to good to be true, am I missing something here?

I tested a Leap for a few days then mailed it back.

It's the best back support out of any chair I've had. More recently my buddy just got a Leap and he's around 300-400lb and he hasn't bitched or complained about needing a new chair so I assume it worked out. But he had to use a cushion for the seat.

The seat on the Leap is plainly inferior to the Gesture. You can confirm this on Reddit that there is an observed difference in the seating experience between a Leap and a Gesture. Steelcase corporate has addressed this and claimed it's the same. This is simply untrue. They have their reasons for claiming there is no difference (They can't say one seat is allegedly more comfortable than another). How they get by publicly claiming a Gesture and Leap seat is the same is through half-truths. What Steelcase probably means is the type of padding/foam is the exact same. So they're able to publicly state there is no difference, because they weren't asked a specific enough question about it. If you had a lawyer take a deposition from Steelcase executives I guarantee you would end up with 5 differences between the Gesture and Leap seating. The fact Steelcase maintains there is no difference between the seats is scoffed at by most of the chair community.

You will bottom out in the Leap if you are 200+ lbs. If you have the right body type, that's not going to be a big deal. But for some the Leap can cut circulation to the ass/legs over time, like a cumulative effect. This effect may manifest within just a few days of owning the chair. But if you are a lighter guy, the Leap might end up being the best chair you ever sat in. In terms of lumbar, backrest, the Leap is ahead of a lot of chairs. If you absolutely need a headrest the Leap is not the chair for you, as the headrest is universally panned and considered terrible by the entire chair community. Gesture headrest on the otherhand, is all 5 star reviewed. You have to decide what is important for you.

As for the alleged 960$ Gesture. First of all, it's probably Amazon acting as the direct seller, selling directly from Amazon's warehouse of Amazon's own inventory. Amazon's refund policies basically degrade any expensive item Amazon might directly sell. You can buy anything from Amazon rip it open and then slam it back in the box and cancel it and they are forced to accept it back. You could end up with a refurbished or restocked chair without even knowing it if you can't clarify who the seller is or who is shipping it. You want to compare prices to a legitimate Steelcase that you know for sure is unblemished, then you go to a licensed Steelcase dealer in your area and go ask about a price in person. Thirdly, there is no way the 960$ is fully optioned or has a headrest even if Amazon is selling chairs directly for that price.

Now if that's 960$ with headrest from Steelcase Store listed as the seller? That's a very good price.

You sacrifice quite a bit of lumbar support by moving from a Leap to Gesture. It all comes down to what you value in a chair, and what you value may change depending on your height and weight.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tirant

Nice, 10/10 response there. Ever make it OKC I'll buy you a beer.

It's just impossible to tell with chairs haha, the Embody is regularly praised for its back support and 100% killed my back. To the point where I'm wondering if I had a defective chair or something.

I use a Leap at work, and never notice any seat issues (I'm on the small end, 5'10 ~160lbs, and currently sitting in the rock that is Secret Labs seat at home) so the back support difference is the big differentiator. I love the Leap back support. Sounds like you prefer the Leap back to the Gesture back, which was my main question. Honestly the 43% sale on Amazon is the biggest driver causing me to debate the Gesture vs the Leap. If the Gesture was a step up in quality version of the Leap I'd be all over it, but I also thought the Embody would be a step up version of an Aeron and I was horribly mistaken. I did like the embody seat though.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I tested a Leap for a few days then mailed it back.

It's the best back support out of any chair I've had. More recently my buddy just got a Leap and he's around 300-400lb and he hasn't bitched or complained about needing a new chair so I assume it worked out. But he had to use a cushion for the seat.

The seat on the Leap is plainly inferior to the Gesture. You can confirm this on Reddit that there is an observed difference in the seating experience between a Leap and a Gesture. Steelcase corporate has addressed this and claimed it's the same. This is simply untrue. They have their reasons for claiming there is no difference (They can't say one seat is allegedly more comfortable than another). How they get by publicly claiming a Gesture and Leap seat is the same is through half-truths. What Steelcase probably means is the type of padding/foam is the exact same. So they're able to publicly state there is no difference, because they weren't asked a specific enough question about it. If you had a lawyer take a deposition from Steelcase executives I guarantee you would end up with 5 differences between the Gesture and Leap seating. The fact Steelcase maintains there is no difference between the seats is scoffed at by most of the chair community.

You will bottom out in the Leap if you are 200+ lbs. If you have the right body type, that's not going to be a big deal. But for some the Leap can cut circulation to the ass/legs over time, like a cumulative effect. This effect may manifest within just a few days of owning the chair. But if you are a lighter guy, the Leap might end up being the best chair you ever sat in. In terms of lumbar, backrest, the Leap is ahead of a lot of chairs. If you absolutely need a headrest the Leap is not the chair for you, as the headrest is universally panned and considered terrible by the entire chair community. Gesture headrest on the otherhand, is all 5 star reviewed. You have to decide what is important for you.

As for the alleged 960$ Gesture. First of all, it's probably Amazon acting as the direct seller, selling directly from Amazon's warehouse of Amazon's own inventory. Amazon's refund policies basically degrade any expensive item Amazon might directly sell. You can buy anything from Amazon rip it open and then slam it back in the box and cancel it and they are forced to accept it back. You could end up with a refurbished or restocked chair without even knowing it if you can't clarify who the seller is or who is shipping it. You want to compare prices to a legitimate Steelcase that you know for sure is unblemished, then you go to a licensed Steelcase dealer in your area and go ask about a price in person. Thirdly, there is no way the 960$ is fully optioned or has a headrest even if Amazon is selling chairs directly for that price.

Now if that's 960$ with headrest from Steelcase Store listed as the seller? That's a very good price.

You sacrifice quite a bit of lumbar support by moving from a Leap to Gesture. It all comes down to what you value in a chair, and what you value may change depending on your height and weight.
What did you end up settling on, by the way?

I'll definitely pick your brain here in the coming months. Getting tired of this Ikea Markus chair. Definitely looking to jump into the big leagues.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ok so I'm thinking about purchasing a Gesture: Limited-time deal: Steelcase Gesture Office Chair - Cogent: Connect Graphite Fabric, Shell Back, Light on Light Frame, Polished Aluminum Base https://a.co/d/aOGxS0F

Looking for any insight or opinions from those who have had one.

Also Amazon has the cheapest price here, and it's sold and shipped from Amazon, but I believe still qualifies for all the Steelcase 12-year warranty, and customer service. Some Reddit postings claim it does. Anyone else gone this route?

The only thing that worries me about the Gesture: A) I've read some people think the seat isn't cushioned enough and bottoms out too easily at 180+ lbs - I'm right at 195-200 lbs @ 6 ft. B) That the chair inevitably develops a clicking sound after awhile when reclining - seriously? That sounds like cheap shit? Surely not? C) It's a bit noisey and wobbly? jayrebb jayrebb is this still your go to?

I've also thought about a nicer Grade A Gesture from Crandall if they're more likely to offer better "Customer Service".

I'm also giving some thought to the Aeron & Embody as well if they just have better durability than the gesture.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Well, I think most of the gaming chairs suggested above by other members can work for you. Unfortunately, you have no huge budget for it, so maybe you would consider getting some additional money and buying a better gaming chair.
Indian bot spotted Amod Amod

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Absolutely fantastic price on the gesture. Amazon also has an all-black Amia for $707. I finally caved and bought an Amia from steelcase with their Black Friday sale. Went with the Amia based on some review videos from BTOD and some other reviews stating that the seat was more comfortable than the Gesture.

The link is showing the incorrect price. Once clicked you should see $863.20 - Sale is good until midnight.

• 1Quality Calories

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Absolutely fantastic price on the gesture. Amazon also has an all-black Amia for $707. I finally caved and bought an Amia from steelcase with their Black Friday sale. Went with the Amia based on some review videos from BTOD and some other reviews stating that the seat was more comfortable than the Gesture.

The link is showing the incorrect price. Once clicked you should see $863.20 - Sale is good until midnight.

That's a really good fucking deal.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's a really good fucking deal.
Yeah so I bought this when it was on sale, because Amazon has free returns until Jan 31st 2023. It's already here! I also ordered a Herman Miller Aeron Remastered but the order keeps getting pushed back deeper and deeper into January. It was also 400 dollars more.

Might just cancel the Aeron...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah so I bought this when it was on sale, because Amazon has free returns until Jan 31st 2023. It's already here! I also ordered a Herman Miller Aeron Remastered but the order keeps getting pushed back deeper and deeper into January. It was also 400 dollars more.

Might just cancel the Aeron...
Still waiting on my Amia directly from Steelcase, but it's supposed to be here Monday I believe. Very excited to upgrade from an Ikea Markus chair.

Tirant

Really interested in hearing reviews from both of you. Especially the Amia as I've not heard a lot about them.

Took all my restraint to not buy that Gesture deal, as I decided on the Leap and trying to stick with my decision. I've checked the Leap price every single day and can't find it under $900, which is where I saw it on Amazon the day I made that previous post (Nov. 7th).

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really interested in hearing reviews from both of you. Especially the Amia as I've not heard a lot about them.

Took all my restraint to not buy that Gesture deal, as I decided on the Leap and trying to stick with my decision. I've checked the Leap price every single day and can't find it under $900, which is where I saw it on Amazon the day I made that previous post (Nov. 7th).
This is a great video, extremely detailed about BTOD's ranking of chairs, they go into excellent coverage. Specifically linked at the Amia bit.

I believe I get my chair tomorrow or Tuesday - I'm excited.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Reading this thread I'm finding that my HM Mirra II is kind of getting uncomfortable over long work/game settings. Something about all the hard rubberized plastic surrounding the mesh that I didn't really notice at first but has started becoming bothersome.

Reading this page I thought I'd give the Amia Steelcase a whirl (that video sealed it) - was about $500 delivered in the dark blue/platinum variety. It's a 10/10 this past week so far. I'm about done with mesh in general, and for the $ this thing is great. Only thing I wish it had was the adjustable arms, but honestly they're just about perfect as configured. Wondering if I can maybe buy the better arms for a few hundo. Either way, thanks for that link! Exceptional chair so far.