Okay bros - Oil Prices & Energy Stocks - time to buy?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Boy and boy talk about jumping to conclusions. You have no idea what I'm even talking about.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't know about the oil producing side but on the refining side they are taking the opportunity to run extended downtime for their spring turn around. Normally they have a spring and fall turnaround for maintenance where they shut down a number of process lines. These are normally planned a year or more in advance.

This year because of the stockpiling of refined fuels and other market conditions they took the opportunity to extend them and do larger maintenance on very short notice. The 2nd largest refinery in the country has a cat cracker shut down with the top off of it (which is the heart of a refinery which actually cracks the hydrocarbon chains) on short notice. What normally is a few weeks is going into the 3rd month of a large portion of the refinery being shut down.

I would imagine at some point that is going to impact the prices.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Haven't oil exploration, equipment, and infrastructure companies been outperforming the rest of the energy sector for pretty much all of recent memory?

Khane, did you actually do the credit-card flipping to invest? The difference between you and Trump is that when he uses other people's money he isn't personally obliged to pay back losses. OPM =! IOU

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
probably a good time to short oil. With the Iran "deal" in place, they will soon be able to unload a huge amount of reserves they've been stockpiling.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
So all this talk about the "storage tanks filling up" and a price crash down to $30 turned out to be a bunch of hot air. I bet ya when Goldman Sachs was telling everyone to sell sell at $40 oil cause storage was about to hit capacity they were backing up the trucks and buying the quality producers for the next run to $100 in a couple years time. Usually how these things work.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So all this talk about the "storage tanks filling up" and a price crash down to $30 turned out to be a bunch of hot air. I bet ya when Goldman Sachs was telling everyone to sell sell at $40 oil cause storage was about to hit capacity they were backing up the trucks and buying the quality producers for the next run to $100 in a couple years time. Usually how these things work.
Unfortunately true
frown.png

Oil's trouble aren't over yet but whatever problems come from countries unloading excess supply the market will eventually correct.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Putting my money where my mouth is, I bought $150k of VGELX today. Buy price should be 89.54. COME ON YOU FUCKERS DRILL !

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I had that kind of cash and chose that MF, I'd be more inclined to go in $50,000 at a time, or less depending what vanguard rules are for it, especially of you think oil/energy still has a ways to go.

then again that's basically trying to time the market but whatever, just a thought.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
TSO was my long pick ~2 years ago and has done well. Now I picked up some XOP at 37.20. I cheer when gas prices go up =p.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If I had that kind of cash and chose that MF, I'd be more inclined to go in $50,000 at a time, or less depending what vanguard rules are for it, especially of you think oil/energy still has a ways to go.

then again that's basically trying to time the market but whatever, just a thought.
Yea I'll hold this for a few years so I don't want to try to time the market. I'm just looking and it's at its lowest point in 5 years. It might go down more... might not. Guess we'll see. I could just plow more into VGHAX which has been paying like crazy for years, but just trying to spread it around.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
heh, logged in to my brokerage account prior to checking any news this morning. I was like "I'm pretty sure that my total account value started with a different digit last week." Looks like things have bounced back up again, though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Automated sell positions? Still, the DJIA has dropped almost 2k points since June.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For personal reasons I also monitor the USD:Yen conversion rates and it was strange today. As of late it trades around 1:122. Sometimes spiking to 1:125. This morning it was 1:118. Now it is back up to 1:119.