Old Cars Bleed Money

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I bought a 68 Camaro and in this thread myself and others can talk about the fun and problems they have.

I will start off with a video of my fuel pump whining. Zapatta Zapatta save me.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/ExhHVdn.mp4

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bought a 68 Camaro and in this thread myself and others can talk about the fun and problems they have.

I will start off with a video of my fuel pump whining. Zapatta Zapatta save me.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/ExhHVdn.mp4
you didn't turn on sound
e8952ca5b2f5312b457b26dba4dd5c4d.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Rather do a total rebuild on a 50 year old car than change plugs on a 5 year old one.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

And as you may or may not have already determind, you inherit problems the previous owner couldn't, didn't know how, or want to fix.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
And as you may or may not have already determind, you inherit problems the previous owner couldn't, didn't know how, or want to fix.
Plenty, this is a brand spanking new fuel system from down spout all the way to the new EFI setup. The only thing that touches gasoline that isn't replaced is the gas cap and fuel injectors, etc.

Borzak

It sound smore like the fuel coming back on the return line going thru the valves back to the tank than whine from an electric fuel pump. With fuel injection I would think they are running a high PSI and high gallons per minute numbers on the system. Do you have a way to electrify the pump with the engine off and see if it pumps and listen for the return? It also sounds kind of like high volume electric pumps with the funky valves inside we used to use on super gas drag cars. They have a triangle shaped valve/rotor inside and it kind of sounds like that.

Not an expert in the least, but it doesn't sound like electric whine to me at all really.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Not hearing any sound in the clip on my phone. I am no fuel injection expert, I like carbs. But FI is usualy a loop system i.e. the fuel goes under pressure from the tank up to the rail feeding injectors and the extra returns via a 2nd line back to the tank to recycle under pressure. You might be hearing the high pressure return hitting the metal of the tank. That could be a design flaw or the angle of the return not being correct and dumping straight down into the pool of gas or it could be that its just having hi-pro aftermarket over the top pump that they dont expect you to be able to hear over the super loud glass packed or straight pipe exhaust they expect you to run with a mongo set up.

Edit Borzak Borzak beat me to it.

Borzak

I'd get under the car and put your hand near the pump and then on the return line a few feet away and see if the feeling matches the noise so to speak. And ear up near the tank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Not hearing any sound in the clip on my phone. I am no fuel injection expert, I like carbs. But FI is usualy a loop system i.e. the fuel goes under pressure from the tank up to the rail feeding injectors and the extra returns via a 2nd line back to the tank to recycle under pressure. You might be hearing the high pressure return hitting the metal of the tank. That could be a design flaw or the angle of the return not being correct and dumping straight down into the pool of gas or it could be that its just having hi-pro aftermarket over the top pump that they dont expect you to be able to hear over the super loud glass packed or straight pipe exhaust they expect you to run with a mongo set up.
I posted a youtube.

Borzak

If all else fails take a foot long screwdriver and hold it up to the pump lightly, or in your hand with your hand on the pump and your ear on the other end. That will tell you pretty quick if the sound is coming from the pump. Caution, the pump will get likely be hot so don't burn yourself heh.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I'd get under the car and put your hand near the pump and then on the return line a few feet away and see if the feeling matches the noise so to speak. And ear up near the tank.

Mechanics stethescopes are good for zeroing in on sounds like that, old school guys just use a stick of wood and touch their jaw to it. I learned how to hear loose valves that way as a kid.

• 1Blown

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Here's a video of someone changing out a different brand pump than yours, because of the pump noise.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I would take it back to the shop that installed it and ask where is my free stereo to drown out the god awful noise.

Borzak

Mechanics stethescopes are good for zeroing in on sounds like that, old school guys just use a stick of wood and touch their jaw to it. I learned how to hear loose valves that way as a kid.

Yeah, I always used a large screwdriver on the valve rocker post with the valve cover off to set valve lash back in the day. Reminds me I'm still waiting on the tool guy to fill my $500 snap on gift card.....from 30 years ago lol.

I guess a_skeleton_03 could use a nightstick, everyone has a nightstick right?

• 1Solidarity