Old Cars Bleed Money

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I always used a large screwdriver on the valve rocker post with the valve cover off to set valve lash back in the day. Reminds me I'm still waiting on the tool guy to fill my $500 snap on gift card.....from 30 years ago lol.

I have quite a bit of Snap-On but I almost never use them. I cant have them in my shop or my tards with lose them all, so they stay home, but I dont have a lift at home so I do most of my wrenching at work. One day when I retire I will move my kitchen, knock down the wall and make a 3 car garage with a lift in the middle.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Won the gift card for an auto competetion. Never got to use it. Which would have been probably one socket lol.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Won the gift card for an auto competetion. Never got to use it.

If you do just dont buy electric or air tools. Snap-On makes god tier hand tools, everything else is second rate. Well except their diagnostic stuff.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So.... renting my car with Turo has magically come to an end. Every person I rent to beats the absolute fuck out of my car. In 3 months, I've had TONS of damage that Turo never accepts responsibility for. Ok, that's not entirely true... I was given $47 for a popped tire and anther $415 for scratching on the roof.

Ignition switch was on me ($1k), headliner was on me ($400). Now the fucking radiator cracked because someone didn't care when the overheating light came on. I don't even know how that happened, but Turo doesn't care because it isn't visible damage on the outside of the vehicle. Mechanical is on me. Whatever the fuck that means. Anyway, I'm looking at $2600 after all is said and done just for that to get a new Radiator, Thermostat & Water Pump. I'm just going to sell the car as is for parts at this point. I fucking hate people. It's a shame. '07 VW Jetta Wagon that's in immaculate condition, minus a cracked radiator. I'm just sick of dealing with this shit.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
So.... renting my car with Turo has magically come to an end. Every person I rent to beats the absolute fuck out of my car. In 3 months, I've had TONS of damage that Turo never accepts responsibility for. Ok, that's not entirely true... I was given $47 for a popped tire and anther $415 for scratching on the roof.

Ignition switch was on me ($1k), headliner was on me ($400). Now the fucking radiator cracked because someone didn't care when the overheating light came on. I don't even know how that happened, but Turo doesn't care because it isn't visible damage on the outside of the vehicle. Mechanical is on me. Whatever the fuck that means. Anyway, I'm looking at $2600 after all is said and done just for that to get a new Radiator, Thermostat & Water Pump. I'm just going to sell the car as is for parts at this point. I fucking hate people. It's a shame. '07 VW Jetta Wagon that's in immaculate condition, minus a cracked radiator. I'm just sick of dealing with this shit.

2 problems, 1 buying a VW. 2 WTF are you thinking renting your car to internet randos? Just from your experience on these forums should have taught you better than that.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

If they drove it while it was overheating you're probably lucky it just cracked the radiator and didn't blow the head gasket, warp the head, or even destroy the engine completely. Also, if my brother's Jetta was any indicator, VWs suck really badly, like it's hard to find a car that unreliable these days. They are almost in a class of their own at being shitty.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Blown head gaskets are an easy fix. Everyone knows that.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does turo offer insurance to you? That'd be the big red flag to me, nevermind that I've neve even heard of turo in the mainland. When i travel, renting a car is usually the least prohibitive item cost wise.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They offer insurance, but it ONLY covers exterior visible shit. Like your own personal car insurance wouldn't cover a mechanical thing, neither does theirs. It's bullshit.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you can get classic car insurance, its pretty damned cheap. maybe 100 bucks a year, but you can only use it as a secondary car insurance and you need a primary car. owned clasic cars and just plain old cars. i rather have the old american cars because the availability of parts makes everything that breaks down negligible. the downside is on an old car things will fail that should never fail on a new car. had to replace the break lines, fuel lines fuel tanks, rusted out panels, alternators, but all that stuff is cheap. the best part is you will get compliments on an old car you would NEVER get on a new one. good luck.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I have classic car insurance for cheap but I told them I only drive it on weekends and for special events. That is a lie.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Blown head gaskets are an easy fix. Everyone knows that.

True story. When I was a kid my dad blew the head on a forklift and instead of trying to chase down the right gasket he made one out cardboard from a case of beer. That was the day I learned what the peen side of a ball peen hammer was for.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have classic car insurance for cheap but I told them I only drive it on weekends and for special events. That is a lie.

Anyhow, about your fuel pump, I would consider that not viable for a passenger car, if you specced the specific parts you wanted installed into your car by the shop you are on your own as far as recourse to a solution, but if you told your builders 'gimee a great EFI system' and they handed that back to you I think you have a legit gripe and one a shop should be willing to solve for you. It may be a QC fail on the part, or it may be that model is meant to go into a NASCAR or Top Fuel build where that sound would be the least audible one you'd hear. The shop knows you have no problem spending money and if they want you to spend more with them they will try and swap out another same make to see if it solves it or choose a different make part that meets the spec and doesnt sound like you have a small airport in your trunk. Shops that do this kind of work live and die by having happy customers and a good reputation, I doubt their answer will be too fucking bad open your wallet again. I eat all kinds of failures similar to this when building boats for customers. Some stuff out of the box is better on paper and as a builder I can bitch to my supplier and get my solution to make my customer happy and not have to swallow the whole loss other than the labor.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyhow, about your fuel pump, I would consider that not viable for a passenger car, if you specced the specific parts you wanted installed into your car by the shop you are on your own as far as recourse to a solution, but if you told your builders 'gimee a great EFI system' and they handed that back to you I think you have a legit gripe and one a shop should be willing to solve for you. It may be a QC fail on the part, or it may be that model is meant to go into a NASCAR or Top Fuel build where that sound would be the least audible one you'd hear. The shop knows you have no problem spending money and if they want you to spend more with them they will try and swap out another same make to see if it solves it or choose a different make part that meets the spec and doesnt sound like you have a small airport in your trunk. Shops that do this kind of work live and die by having happy customers and a good reputation, I doubt their answer will be too fucking bad open your wallet again. I eat all kinds of failures similar to this when building boats for customers. Some stuff out of the box is better on paper and as a builder I can bitch to my supplier and get my solution to make my customer happy and not have to swallow the whole loss other than the labor.
So I literally just ordered the entire Holley Sniper EFI setup.

Tank
Pump
Filter
EFI Carb replacement
Fuel Lines

All of it was done at a local shop and i will be dropping by there tomorrow. I didn’t just make up the parts or let someone else come up with it out of spare parts from the shop.

I am pretty sure they fitted the pump and sock incorrectly.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Oh and this was a week long job but took them three weeks.

And my gas gauge doesn’t work.

yeah there is something going on. You bought a new fuel cell / tank? was it set up for FI? otherwise the return in probably coming back in thru the same hole where the sender for you fuel gauge is.

I would contact Holley and ask them too. They may warranty you pump on the spot if its a known issue and not an installation failure.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the kit you bought has a tank with plumbing for FI.

they have retrofits that you can use a stock tank.

Oldbased

> Than U
Had a 68. It was named Gold Digger and we stuck fat tires on it, took out the seats, put in a roll cage and a 750 hp engine. The wheels would lift off the ground and it ran high 9's in the 1/4 mile. My brother died, we put it back to stock and sold it back to the person we purchased it from. The end.

It was pretty easy to work on. There was a place not far from me in Franklin, KY who my brother was friends with that ran a parts and restoration business just for those years of cars. If they didn't have it or couldn't find it, they would manufacture it. I'll look later to see if they are still around. This was 12 years ago.