Oldboy Remake

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Let the jimmies rustle. Spike Lee is going to fumblefuck this classic.

I dont think this means he changes anything.

Do you expect him to roll out and say OH YEAH IM CHANGING IT? Or do you think he would go on TV and say OH YEAH ITS THE SAME FUCKING ENDING UNCHANGED SO NOW YOU HAVE NO REASON TO SEE MY MOVIE.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
manga was 10 years oldboy was 15 years, remake is 20 years. doesn't seem like there will be any dumplings... 15 years of the same dumplings.

Goatface

just got pushed back 1 month to Nov 25th so opening against animated Frozen and the week after Hunger Games 2

Buu_sl

shitlord
I suppose next, Paul W.S. Anderson will get his hands on the rest of the Vengeance trilogy and my personal nightmare will be complete.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i'm actually torn between curious and worried about what will be the counter-vengeance twist. I really dont expect them to use the incest storyline in an american movie. So it will probably be some M.S Shalaalalakalala kind of bullshit

iannis

Musty Nester
Someone needs to put spike lee in jail. Or at least put all of his money in a trust. This man has only ever made 1 movie worth watching -- why do they let him keep making them?

iannis

Musty Nester
Do the right thing was horrible though. Straight up horrible. I know it was widely acclaimed, but it was horrible. Watch it again if you don't believe me. You won't because it's terrible. But it was a surefire way for a young film maker to get a LOT of attention.

There's not many ways he could have fucked up Malcom X. Never watched 25th hour.

I was actually thinking of that one with Harvey Keitel. I don't remember the name of it, but it was the reason why "drinking juice in da hood" was added to the parody. It was like The Wire in movie format about 5 or 6 years before The Wire. Had to look it up. Clockers. 1995. So 10 years.

So ok, he's made 2 movies that were worth watching. I had forgotten about Malcom X.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the problem is not spike lee (who i don't really care),is in fact the idea of "let's do a western remake of a great asian movie".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They do the reverse, also. If the remake is good, why not make it? Why not broaden the audience?

The real problem is remaking this particular movie. No possible way it will have the impact of the original. They will take the teeth out of it, it will be just another shitty movie.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Its Spike Lee. It will probably have some anti-white statement. The main villain probably fell in love with some black chick, and the protagonist spread the word, causing some kind of racial issue. So he gets his ass locked away for 20 years. Then he finds out the daughter he left behind fell in love with a black guy. Oh the harsh intensity of jungle fever!

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I have a little bit different viewpoint on this 'reinterpretation' then most. I love Oldboy and have tried to get so many friends to watch it. Even if they are sort of an indie film buff, many seem to have some kind of block against watching foreign subtitled films.
It will never be as good as the original to those of us who watched the original, but coming in fresh the remake will still be pretty amazing for them. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that it will at least be a good film on it's own, but still bad compared to the original. If I hadn't seen the original, the trailer would be pretty good really.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Someone needs to put spike lee in jail. Or at least put all of his money in a trust. This man has only ever made 1 movie worth watching -- why do they let him keep making them?
b/c the only other black director ppl might even remember is antoine fugue, his action movies are better than the shit that spike lee dibbles out. even shooter!

Szlia

I think you mean Antoine Fuqua. It's true the list of notable non-african black directors is pretty short... Steve McQueen (the director, obviously). The one in the Wayans brothers who is the director. 2 generations of Van Peebles... Charles Burnett... yep...