Older Anime Series Worth Watching

Fingz_sl

shitlord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tatami_Galaxy

images

Most anime is about kids, your typical 14 year old. Tatami Galaxy is about college students. It's quirky and they don't tell you what the series is about, you have to puzzle it out.

A lot of people who would enjoy this might not have seen it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steins;Gate

Steins Gate is SF and has college age people in it.

Any other good series out there that people may not have scene?

I picked two with college age people cause someone was asking for anime with older characters the other day, I'm open to anything.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
that deals with "older" ppl? Rainbow comes to mind, set after wwii, it deals with the lives of teens after they get out of college and why they all have a close relationship with each other.

Szlia

Honey & Cloveris a romantic comedy / coming of age story set in an art school.

Eden of the Eastis everything about everything, but at the center of it there are young adults trying to find their place in society.

Maison Hikkokuis a rom com set in a boarding house with the main character being a guy trying to pass the exams to enter university.

Sherlock Houndis not that respectful of the source material and is targeted at children I guess, but it's good fun for the whole family (Miyazaki's strange machinery and crowds are in full effect here).

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
As for good shows with more mature themes and characters, off the top of my head:

Mushishi - About invisible beings that sometimes cause serious problems for people and a man who can interact with the creatures and help the people they were tormenting. Very atmospheric and follows a episodic format.

Now and Then, Here and There - About a boy who gets caught up in a war in another world/dimension and his life as a child soldier. Features rape, torture, insanity, murder, slavery and everything else true to war along with several sci fi elements. The main character is a child and he is childish (despite the horrors he sees) but the story is quite good.

Kenshin OVA - Gritty samurai action without the buffoonery of the TV show. Quite beautiful at times.

Cowboy Bebop - Obviously

Gungrave - a sci fi story of organized crime, murder, betrayal and revenge; features a reanimated gunslinger, weird monsters and a plot that I found entertaining 10 years ago. YMMV.

Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) - Kino, accompanied by a talking motorcycle, travels through a mystical world of many different countries and forests, each unique in its customs and people (each place usually representing a trait found in human psychology or society taken to extremes). The MC is likeable and the places she explores are often weird and interesting.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Juuni kokki is some very good fantasy.

Parano?a Agent from Satoshi Kon.

Ushuu no Stelvia a space opera. I like this one very much despite the young cast.

Hikaru no Go. It's like the best sport anime around.

Spice and Wolf a must see.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Cowboy Bebop (duh)
Witch Hunter Robin
Samurai Champloo was fucking AWESOME

I'm also a fan of various Gundam series.08th MS Teamis an easy starter. Not many episodes. Wing + Endless Waltz OVA was my real introductory. It caused me to fall in love with the series.

Aside from that, there's a 3 episode OVA for a series calledRead or Die. That's a must watch. A year or two later they did a 26 episode full run, but it didn't have all the magic that made the OVA greatness.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Trigun is also pretty entertaining. That's from the late 90's. The main character is Vash the Stampede. He was great.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Maison Ikkoku was indeed, very fun. I loved that series. If you like Rumiko Takahashi, then I would also suggest one of her original stories, Mermaid's Promise. Very, very dark.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Wolf's rain. Werewolves in a post apocalyptic scifi world. Bones' first major hit after they left gainax.

Ergo proxy, another great post apocalyptic series.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I tried wolf's rain years ago. I enjoyed it to some degree (kept watching) but it certainly didn't leave any sort of lasting impression.

Samurai Champloo, Gundam Wing, Read or Die, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop did though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Spice and Wolf
Dennuo Coil
Eureka Seven
Lovely Complex
Skip Beat
Samurai Champloo
TeknoMan
Noein

Im sure i could come up with hundreds more, but the main one to see if you havent is Eureka Seven as its one of the best older stories in existence even if it isnt THAT old.

Technically One Piece is old, you can start watching now and watch how animation has changed over the years lol - in a sense Hunter X Hunter is old too if you want to watch the old version of it!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This post may make you feel old, tried to list the ones not already mentioned after skimming the individual year lists.

(1992) YuYu Hakusho *had to edit this in after looking that far back
(1997) Flame of Recca
(1998) Gasaraki
(1998) Outlaw Star
(1999) Crest of the Stars
(2000) Banner of the Stars
(2001) Kaze no Yojimbo
(2002) Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
(2002) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
(2003) Scrapped Princess
(2004) Zipang
(2005) Basilisk
(2005) Blood+
(2005) Full Metal Panic!

Category:1990s anime television series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Category:2000s anime television series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Category:2010s anime television series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fingz_sl

shitlord
What was that anime series... Starts off with two samurai who got to kill a witch, turns out she's a vampire, she bites one samurai and turns him into a vampire. Centuries pass, it's now futuristic Tokyo, the samurai vampire is still alive. For some reason he gets mix up with the government who try to kill him?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh shit, I forgot all about Full Metal Panic & Scraped Princess. I liked both of those.

Another oldie but goodie is Full Metal Alchemist. The original series was great, but didn't follow the manga that much. That said, it was still a GREAT story. They redid it will Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. That one followed the manga pretty much to a T.

I would suggest giving both versions a shot, because the stories were so good. And the stories do somewhat blend together at times, and tell a similar story in the overall, but how they get there is a lot different. And the endings are different.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember liking Record of Lodoss War in the 90s but I was like 10 so I have no ides how well it's aged.