Older Anime Series Worth Watching

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Forgot to chime in on this thread.

A few series that were good and are 20+ episodes. I can easily recommend these without restraint:

Steins;Gate
Tiger and Bunny
Zetsuen no Tempest
Jormungand
Fate/Zero
Psycho Pass (new, hour-long ones out now though)
Shingeki no Kyojin
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (don't bother with the other series)
Claymore
Mushishi
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Bokurano
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Black Lagoon
Darker Than Black (don't watch Season 2 unless you hate yourself)

I probably missed some other good ones, but I was just going over what I had on my one drive. I'm sure I'll add more later. If there's any type of genre people are interested in, I can drop some other names.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Huge +1 for black lagoon. (And I am not an anime person at all.) Would pay $100 personally for another season.

I am critical of a lot of this genre (harem w/ seemingly fag main male and gigantic eye balls make me violent.) But I really do appreciate a lot of the "realistic" and usually dark/gritty stuff out there. So GITS/Black Lagoon and a few more fantasy stuff like Ghilbli movies, Vampire Hunter D (theres multiple? Just know the one movie with spaceship in end).

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Vampire Hunter D (theres multiple? Just know the one movie with spaceship in end).
There was an original one, which is old school. He acts as a bounty hunter and confronts an old count who's been terrorizing the countryside. It explains some of his origins.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Suprised no one has mentioned FLCL. Short series but damn is it a treat. Forget her name, but the alien chick with the bass guitar has to be one of my favorite anime characters.

Edit: Haruko is her name!
Well someone said "OLDER" anime so I left it out. But then ppl start listing stuff thats less than a decade old. Anyways yeah, FLCL is easily my favorite OVA of the last 20 years.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Well someone said "OLDER" anime so I left it out. But then ppl start listing stuff thats less than a decade old. Anyways yeah, FLCL is easily my favorite OVA of the last 20 years.
Shrug, if older is not current :

Puella Magi Madoka
Angel Beats

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed "BECK" (Mongolian chop squad) when I was younger, it's a great coming of age story about a guy who doesn't really know anything about himself. Definitely recommended

I also always liked Azumanga Daioh, might not be for most people though

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh wow, I completely forgot about Azumanga Daioh. Ok, did you watch Gundam Wing & Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz?

Gundam Seed? Gundam Seed: Destiny? Love me some Gundam.

It's also worth watching all of the various Robotech series, and Initial D. Initial D finally ended a few months ago.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Kiddy Grade is another one that's popping into my head. It wasn't great, but it's worth watching if you're bored. Also check out the 3 seasons of Full Metal Panic!.

satael

Silver Squire
Not sure if these all have already been mentioned: Noir, Durarara!!, Martian Successor Nadesico, Outlaw Star, Lost Universe, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (it's quite long since I've watched some of these so not sure how well they'll stand up compared to today's animation but I enjoyed each of them at the time they first came out)

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Katanagatari. Not old at all but I feel like a lot of people might have skipped it.