On becoming an electrician

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
49d 13h 40m
My brother flunked out of junior college (out of immaturity, not stupidity) and then went to tech school. Travelled some doing his apprenticeship and then finished it wiring houses for a non union shop. A few years in he joined IBEW and started doing industrial work instead of wiring houses which I think he really preferred.

They warned him when he joined the union to have savings because there would definitely be times when he was out of work but in 10 years he never got close to being laid off. If you aren't a fuck up, not an addict, and can show up to work regularly that's really all it takes to stay employed and make a solid middle class income.

• 1Like
Reactions: whoo

whoo

<Silver Donator>
69d 9h 40m
My brother flunked out of junior college (out of immaturity, not stupidity) and then went to tech school. Travelled some doing his apprenticeship and then finished it wiring houses for a non union shop. A few years in he joined IBEW and started doing industrial work instead of wiring houses which I think he really preferred.

They warned him when he joined the union to have savings because there would definitely be times when he was out of work but in 10 years he never got close to being laid off. If you aren't a fuck up, not an addict, and can show up to work regularly that's really all it takes to stay employed and make a solid middle class income.

Thank you for the response and story about your brother!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
119d 21h 38m
Being an electrician is a useful skill that could get him decent paying work in other fields if he doesn't like it as well. Such as power generation.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
61d 22h 12m

My father was an electrician for 40 years and was IBEW for the entire time.

There were plenty of times in the late 80's and early 90's that he was on the book due to a lack of work, but starting around '96 that all changed. He wasn't laid off a single time that I can recall from mid 90's until he retired a few years ago.

There is such a lack of available electricians and so much work for corporations like AT&T that I can't imagine there will be many out of work electricians in the country's future unless something drastically changes.

• 2Like
Reactions: Janx and whoo

whoo

<Silver Donator>
69d 9h 40m
My father was an electrician for 40 years and was IBEW for the entire time.

There were plenty of times in the late 80's and early 90's that he was on the book due to a lack of work, but starting around '96 that all changed. He wasn't laid off a single time that I can recall from mid 90's until he retired a few years ago.

There is such a lack of available electricians and so much work for corporations like AT&T that I can't imagine there will be many out of work electricians in the country's future unless something drastically changes.

Thank you for replying and for your experience!

• 1Like
Reactions: LiquidDeath