On becoming an electrician

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother flunked out of junior college (out of immaturity, not stupidity) and then went to tech school. Travelled some doing his apprenticeship and then finished it wiring houses for a non union shop. A few years in he joined IBEW and started doing industrial work instead of wiring houses which I think he really preferred.

They warned him when he joined the union to have savings because there would definitely be times when he was out of work but in 10 years he never got close to being laid off. If you aren't a fuck up, not an addict, and can show up to work regularly that's really all it takes to stay employed and make a solid middle class income.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
My brother flunked out of junior college (out of immaturity, not stupidity) and then went to tech school. Travelled some doing his apprenticeship and then finished it wiring houses for a non union shop. A few years in he joined IBEW and started doing industrial work instead of wiring houses which I think he really preferred.

They warned him when he joined the union to have savings because there would definitely be times when he was out of work but in 10 years he never got close to being laid off. If you aren't a fuck up, not an addict, and can show up to work regularly that's really all it takes to stay employed and make a solid middle class income.

Thank you for the response and story about your brother!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Being an electrician is a useful skill that could get him decent paying work in other fields if he doesn't like it as well. Such as power generation.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

My father was an electrician for 40 years and was IBEW for the entire time.

There were plenty of times in the late 80's and early 90's that he was on the book due to a lack of work, but starting around '96 that all changed. He wasn't laid off a single time that I can recall from mid 90's until he retired a few years ago.

There is such a lack of available electricians and so much work for corporations like AT&T that I can't imagine there will be many out of work electricians in the country's future unless something drastically changes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
My father was an electrician for 40 years and was IBEW for the entire time.

There were plenty of times in the late 80's and early 90's that he was on the book due to a lack of work, but starting around '96 that all changed. He wasn't laid off a single time that I can recall from mid 90's until he retired a few years ago.

There is such a lack of available electricians and so much work for corporations like AT&T that I can't imagine there will be many out of work electricians in the country's future unless something drastically changes.

Thank you for replying and for your experience!

• 1Like

MajorZero

<Banned>
Greetings to you, boy. I want to wish your relative in finding a good place to study on a topic related to electricity.

• 2Worf
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The best tip I could give would be to go find someone looking for a wire monkey or a basement bitch,
i would make a joke about this but i'm scared of my crawl space and come out looking like a sweaty terrorist
08e994b54e3d5b8acf781659da7d2b3f.png

23e74a9fb8c0699d681510fbd3f4e9c8.png

i have since ordered khaki colors so i don't scare my new neighbors

Janx

<Silver Donator>
i would make a joke about this but i'm scared of my crawl space and come out looking like a sweaty terrorist
08e994b54e3d5b8acf781659da7d2b3f.png

23e74a9fb8c0699d681510fbd3f4e9c8.png

i have since ordered khaki colors so i don't scare my new neighbors
Throw on a Naruto head band and people will avoid you like the plague assuming you're a weeb.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am an electrician by trade. There is currently an extremely high demand for electricians right now all over the country and companies pay out the nose for them compared to when I started out. My current company pays JW's $113 to $143/hr for nonresidential electricians depending on which IBEW local you come out of. This hourly wage does includes the benefit package.

• 1Mother of God

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I am an electrician by trade. There is currently an extremely high demand for electricians right now all over the country and companies pay out the nose for them compared to when I started out. My current company pays JW's $113 to $143/hr for nonresidential electricians depending on which IBEW local you come out of. This hourly wage does includes the benefit package.
Thanks for this feedback. He's interviewed for the IBEW apprenticeship program and we'll find out soon if he's accepted.

What's the best way to prep for commercial work while he's apprenticing?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Commercial work is more about sizing and bending conduit than running wire.... but Commercial can lead to Controls which is a crazy interesting field that demands you have no life. Good controls techs are impossible to find because it's like 70% or more travel. For Controls work look at Mechatronics classes and learning the basics of PLCs and Drives is a fantastic skillset in commercial. Don't get stuck in maintenance, you'll' suffer behind some asshole that has no interest in anything other than what's currently installed, and be expected to do alot of shit that isn't electrical. Also the pay sucks in maintenance.

• 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Typically you select the specialty that you want to go into with the union when you apply.
  • Residential Wireman—Installing electrical systems into residential areas, a 3-year program
  • VDV Installer Technician—Installing circuits and equipment for low-voltage systems, a 3-year program
  • Outside Lineman—Installing distribution and transmission lines, a 3-1/2 year program
  • Inside Wireman—Working in commercial and industrial settings, a 5-year program
The apprenticeship program will teach him everything he will need to know. There is really no prep work. He will end up working full time for a and going to night school for the duration of his program.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If I was a younger man, I'd jump on traveling and doing new work.

Not so much now.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Damn dude what state are you in?

to op-
depending on your state iec school or jatc / ibew. I would recommend getting on as an apprentice at an industrial group even if they need to travel a bunch.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I no longer do field work and work doing estimating in the office, but the company I work for does only projects in Silicon Valley only and those IBEW locals I think are the highest paying in the country.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Bump, going in at 41. Already getting looks from those taking applications in person, but I don't give a fuck gonna be the best apprentice any journeyman could want and crush it for the next 4-5 years until I get journeyman myself. If anyone knows anyone in Houston area hiring helpers hit me up.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bump, going in at 41. Already getting looks from those taking applications in person, but I don't give a fuck gonna be the best apprentice any journeyman could want and crush it for the next 4-5 years until I get journeyman myself. If anyone knows anyone in Houston area hiring helpers hit me up.
Not sure what your background is, but if you don't have an electrician type of background, while you are putting in apps, get a copy of a book on electricity (example, something like this from Fowler).

At ATT we did low voltage work but still had all of our techs learn the basics of electricity if they wanted to get a higher rated job. Some might say it's a waste, but understanding the theory of how electricity works and why is useful.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users