Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Loved Brad Pitt kicking Bruce Lee's ass.

I know this gets brought up from time to time: just how legit was Bruce Lee anyways?

I know this was supposed to be a fictionalized version of him, but I'm pretty sure IRL, Lee never used high kicks very often, if at all.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Hard to say as there isn't really much footage of Lee actually sparring. I think a lot of the myth around him grew over the years after his death. I'd say your average MMA fighter today would destroy him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not so sure of that.

Bruce Lee was not a fanatical type, or one for bluster or show. His teachings revolved around effectiveness, and practicality.

The one inch punch and movies kind of cause people to believe he was just a showman. But if you look into it, he was much more than that. His principles actually bode well for modern MMA.

He fought against some dude in a duel, supposedly. It was the only "real" fight Lee was in during his star turn, and he whipped the dudes ass. So if he was trained with today's technology and knowledge, I bet he would be a force in MMA. He had incredible stamina and strength, that is not up for debate. He would have to focus on wrestling/TD defense and some basic BJJ in order to survive, but overall Lee was the real deal.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Theres the Bruce Lee that you white ppl know, then theres the Bruce Lee that Chinese know.

• 1GreNeg
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm not so sure of that.

Bruce Lee was not a fanatical type, or one for bluster or show. His teachings revolved around effectiveness, and practicality.

The one inch punch and movies kind of cause people to believe he was just a showman. But if you look into it, he was much more than that. His principles actually bode well for modern MMA.

He fought against some dude in a duel, supposedly. It was the only "real" fight Lee was in during his star turn, and he whipped the dudes ass. So if he was trained with today's technology and knowledge, I bet he would be a force in MMA. He had incredible stamina and strength, that is not up for debate. He would have to focus on wrestling/TD defense and some basic BJJ in order to survive, but overall Lee was the real deal.

No he wasn't. An average MMA fighter would obliterate him.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Once Upon A Time nails the look, feel, and aesthetic of the set/setting it takes place in and that should win the movie some awards when Oscar night comes for production/set design that sort of thing, the characters were great, and the movie pays tons of homage to that which Tarantino himself worships (Hollywood) but it was Tarantino's most snooze inducing movie yet and I cared less for these characters than I usually do for other Tarantino characters.

He is still the absolute master of tension building in film, no question.

Overall though, C+

Man, but Melanie Laurent was just so nice to just look at on the screen!!
You prefer her to Diane Kruger?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I saw this movie for the second time. The first time I was on vacation and the inlaws had some free passes so we went. Problem was, the seats were front row and you all know what that's like.

So I went again and I have to say, the first time I thought the ending was funny. Hearing the phone bell ding every time Cliff slams Sqeaky's face into it was hilarious. (Sqeaky wasn't involved in the murders). The second time it was incredibly sad. When the narrator introduces Frykowski and Folger as guests of Sharon Tate, I knew the truth of the pending events was not funny. I understand the ending is what we would have liked to have happened that night, but sadly it didn't turn out that way and I just had a feeling of hopelessness. That's good filmmaking from everyone involved, but still sad.

• 1Solidarity

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You go along with the story, there is no glue at end. I think there is nothing more to show. He just put Polanski, Sharon Tate, Manson family, etc just to show the context the characters were living in.
I think this movie is just a big wink wink from Tarantino to Hollywood.
6/10

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bruce Lee was incredibly fast, but he didn't actually fight. He was a TV black belt. He was in incredibly good shape and good at executing things technically, but he was never in any real fights. Chuck Norris on the other hand, was a legit fighter and still is for someone his age. Chuck has stayed current too. He got his third degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2015 at age 75.

• 2Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw this on friday, after work, but the theater down the street from me was only showing it in German. Said whatever, and saw it anyway. Understood probably 80% of it, but I really liked it, anyway.

Watching the actress who played Sharon Tate watch her own film, and enjoy people's reaction to it, was a scene with a lot of character connection.

Quentin Tarantino really enamors the audience to his characters in this. Following Brad Pitt's character home, and watching him feed his dog, was such a slow scene that really didn't add anything to the plot. But it was perfect for making me feel a connection with the character. I think QT does that very well, and it was top notch in this film.

The theater is showing the film again tomorrow, this time in English, so I'm going to see it again. Quite excited to get the dialogue out of it this time, as the German audio only had two or three voice actors (as far as I could tell).

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Bruce Lee was incredibly fast, but he didn't actually fight. He was a TV black belt. He was in incredibly good shape and good at executing things technically, but he was never in any real fights. Chuck Norris on the other hand, was a legit fighter and still is for someone his age. Chuck has stayed current too. He got his third degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2015 at age 75.

I don't think that was ever a goal for him either. I don't think he would have ever participated in MMA. He was making money doing what he loved and reminds me of a more talented Jackie Chan than a Norris.

• 1Like

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watch the first 3 seasons of MMA. Its loaded with tiny Asian men that devoted their entire life to mastering martial art and they all get their ass beat by random fat ass bar room brawlers.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Watch the first 3 seasons of MMA. Its loaded with tiny Asian men that devoted their entire life to mastering martial art and they all get their ass beat by random fat ass bar room brawlers.

The first couple Pride PPVs are an awesome watch.