One million dollars!

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Invest it as safely as possible, buy a new computer and thats it. Oh god, I am boring.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seriously, I'd buy a Tesla S - and get off my ass and buy a house down here - invest the rest. Although would probably only be about a third left at that point - assuming it's post-tax, if it's pre-tax it would already be gone I guess. (Homes I like down here are $350k+ range, Tesla S is $250k IIRC)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Some good ideas here, my situation changes up some of the possibilities.

About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with MS as i lost feeling on large portions of my body and lost fine motor control of my left leg, a year after that I had another significant attack that fucked up the control of my right arm and left me with some cognitive weaknesses and chronic fatigue. My employer was super accommodating to my limitations for years, I was a Sr. Sys Admin so half my work was off hours anyways, but I was allowed to be flexible with my schedule and telecommute as I needed.

Fast forward to 3 years ago and my boss decided I needed to be in office every morning at 8am in case the HelpDesk needed any assistance. Its probably because I was at the point where I would publicly call him out as a main reason I could not get us HIPPA compliant. Upper management took his side and I was forced into retirement on disability.

Spent the last couple years establishing medical proof so I could get my student loans forgiven and my disability insurance provider to list me as permanently disabled. Now I have 3k a month income (tax free) until I am 65, I have ~50k from my 401.k that got rolled into a IRA, I bought my house at the bottom of the housing market and still owe about 120k. w/ a 3.7 rate.

After I secured the disability income, I worked on a discrimination suit for my former employer that is, or is about to be, filed. Asking for 2.2 million in damages, if I end up with enough to pay off the house i'm in great shape, if i clear a million after taxes and fees I am not sure what to do with it so i have been asking for ideas all over the place.

• 2Like

Vaclav

About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with MS as i lost feeling on large portions of my body and lost fine motor control of my left leg, a year after that I had another significant attack that fucked up the control of my right arm and left me with some cognitive weaknesses and chronic fatigue. My employer was super accommodating to my limitations for years, I was a Sr. Sys Admin so half my work was off hours anyways, but I was allowed to be flexible with my schedule and telecommute as I needed.

Fast forward to 3 years ago and my boss decided I needed to be in office every morning at 8am in case the HelpDesk needed any assistance. Its probably because I was at the point where I would publicly call him out as a main reason I could not get us HIPPA compliant. Upper management took his side and I was forced into retirement on disability.

Spent the last couple years establishing medical proof so I could get my student loans forgiven and my disability insurance provider to list me as permanently disabled. Now I have 3k a month income (tax free) until I am 65, I have ~50k from my 401.k that got rolled into a IRA, I bought my house at the bottom of the housing market and still owe about 120k. w/ a 3.7 rate.

After I secured the disability income, I worked on a discrimination suit for my former employer that is, or is about to be, filed. Asking for 2.2 million in damages, if I end up with enough to pay off the house i'm in great shape, if i clear a million after taxes and fees I am not sure what to do with it so i have been asking for ideas all over the place.

With those health issues, I'd suggest getting a few double checks with some high tier neurologists/rhuemetologists/etc before giving up your life to it. Your situation sounds shockingly like mine (except my employer was accomodating for about 2 years and you could remove the HIPPA chapter) - except in my case it was listed as Fibromyalgia - and after seven years with new doctors checking me etc (as a result of the move - I hadn't searched intentionally) - I'm well now, because of avenues that the docs up in Maryland had ignored.

Absolutely nothing is more valuable than health - its kind of fun to have the freedom to not work for a year or two and game/etc all day with it - but it drags after a bit. I was dying to get back to work, and really enjoying life a ton more with working again. Don't just give up on yourself unless you've exhausted all your options on pursuing better health. Period.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

So while it's great to think about future possibilities and what if you clear a million dollars, you should keep in mind that court cases in the U.S. can sometimes drag on for a long time (i.e. years) and that can at times just be the discovery period which is usually needed to be dealt with even before settlement offers begin to be made. Who knows if they want to drag it out further but it could cost you quite a lot of money up front as well as stress and probably will take longer than you might consider. I don't say this to discourage you in any way and I certainly hope you win the case or get a decent settlement that makes you happy, but I would wait to see how things turn out before contemplating on how you might spent that kind of money.

• 1Like

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have been fairly exhaustive in my medical testing and evaluations and feel pretty confidant I am in the right place medically. My 20 year family doctor, and 3 different neurologists think its better for my health to not try to hold competitive employment, I had an RFC test done and I do not qualify for sedentary work, and my insurance provider had me do a full day of neuropsychological testing where the doctor noted the testing indicates a 6 point loss in IQ from the damage in the brain. Consensus is preventing additional MS attacks is the number one thing for my health, that means avoiding stress, heat, and over exertion.

I spent near 10 years at my job, 5 of those before any hint of the MS. I started as the hourly HD guy and worked my way up to Sr. Admin because it was apparent I was good at my job and I got along well with everyone. I spent the final 3-4 years doing mostly off hours work for the company and its parent company half way across the country, lots of flights back and forth, I was putting 50-60 hours a week in so no one cared if I didn't walk in at 8am. If I was allowed to continue working the way I was I am positive I would still be working there. The problem with seeking new employment is w/o that level of confidence and trust you can't just land a 'let me work whenever' job. Anyone who hires IT can tell you the guy who thinks he's a rock star and wants to work from his cabin in the Adirondacks never gets the job.

Iv'e been retired 3 years now, I garden, host game nights, play competitive Magic, argue politics on the internet, and i'm working on a web site so people can play with my dog via the web so i can sleep more. I don't miss my job, just trying to cope with memory problems while paying your bills can make for an exciting day.

As far as not counting eggs before hatched, that's exactly why i have been asking people so i can see lots of ideas long before I would have to make any decisions.

I would want to put a Dumb Waiter into my house, and maybe get it raised so the basement is more usable. But then are you better just building a new house? I looked at repatriating (going over seas and living like a king) but I think I would lose my income, maybe if the settlement is big enough to offset the loss?

Other option is sell the house and travel, but fuck that makes me tired just thinking about it and I like having a place where people come by to hang out and play games with me.

I'd want to make the backyard into a lower maintenance rock/water garden but is getting a place out of the city with land to do a pond right better?

Vaclav

I have been fairly exhaustive in my medical testing and evaluations and feel pretty confidant I am in the right place medically. My 20 year family doctor, and 3 different neurologists think its better for my health to not try to hold competitive employment, I had an RFC test done and I do not qualify for sedentary work, and my insurance provider had me do a full day of neuropsychological testing where the doctor noted the testing indicates a 6 point loss in IQ from the damage in the brain. Consensus is preventing additional MS attacks is the number one thing for my health, that means avoiding stress, heat, and over exertion.

Shrug, I just know for me that my "Fibromyalgia" that was causing me to have absent seizures, falls from lower extremity weakness, difficulty handling objects with my hands at times (weakness, but not complete like my legs were), etc. were never explored as psychological for all those docs I visited. Ended up having the "dumb luck" of a panic attack/suicide attempt when my father died on my birthday that led me down the psychiatric path that led to the discovery that it was apparently panic attacks that were putting me into a semi-catatonic state. (And that the absent seizures were likely a result of the Neurontin I was on - apparently that's a rare complication with it - so axing the Neurontin cured that part as well)

Anyone who hires IT can tell you the guy who thinks he's a rock star and wants to work from his cabin in the Adirondacks never gets the job.

Heh, you don't have any Aerotech background with a Security Clearance, perchance? I'm not sure if my employer allows remote workers, but last I checked I've got 3 positions to fill with that criteria, and thusfar filled 0.

Iv'e been retired 3 years now, I garden, host game nights, play competitive Magic, argue politics on the internet, and i'm working on a web site so people can play with my dog via the web so i can sleep more. I don't miss my job, just trying to cope with memory problems while paying your bills can make for an exciting day.

Yea, memory fog sucks - another side effect of Neurontin I dealt with - still feels like that one lingers a bit, but then again, I'm 40 now, so maybe it's not lingering as much as it's age setting in. And sounds like you're staying productive, that's the important thing.

I would want to put a Dumb Waiter into my house, and maybe get it raised so the basement is more usable. But then are you better just building a new house? I looked at repatriating (going over seas and living like a king) but I think I would lose my income, maybe if the settlement is big enough to offset the loss?

Other option is sell the house and travel, but fuck that makes me tired just thinking about it and I like having a place where people come by to hang out and play games with me.

I'd want to make the backyard into a lower maintenance rock/water garden but is getting a place out of the city with land to do a pond right better?

On modifying a property/moving/etc - unless you're emotionally attached to your area - moving into a ranch style home with few floors in a region you won't have to screw with things like snow, etc is something I'd suggest - unless you're going to spend a fortune in modifying a home and caretakers/services. Getting snowed in was the worst during my unwell times and was a primary impetus to moving down to Florida.

Also another thing to consider is that for some neurologic stuff (unsure for MS specifically though) - different weather can help or hurt - might be worth taking a few trips around to regions you'd consider, see how your symptoms hold in different conditions.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Set up an endowment that will pay out for my kids' education costs. Do it right, never have a tuition payment that can't be met. Then, when all education is done, they each get $200,000 toward their first house.

• 1Like

Tim

Molten Core Raider
invest it in a boring annuity or some CEF's or something that payout monthly. Then become a little more careless at work knowing that I'll be fine when I finally lose my licence.

If that doesn't work out, hope that Borzak get's the million and hope he hires me for 6-7 years or so. (Promise I won't become careless)

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It probably varies by person, but I'm about 3/8 of the way to retirement now, looking at maybe 6 more years. It's already incredibly difficult to give a shit. If I were to get fired, we could probably last 10-12 years.

I think for some people that'd be incredibly freeing, but for me it's just very demotivating to actually coming to work.

I can't even imagine how complacent I become when I'm a year or two out.

• 1Like

Vaclav

It probably varies by person, but I'm about 3/8 of the way to retirement now, looking at maybe 6 more years. It's already incredibly difficult to give a shit. If I were to get fired, we could probably last 10-12 years.

I think for some people that'd be incredibly freeing, but for me it's just very demotivating to actually coming to work.

I can't even imagine how complacent I become when I'm a year or two out.

It's weird how it reverses once you're idle for a couple years - I'm so happy that I've found a contracting gig for my old career now that I'm back in the swing of working, so I don't have to 9-5 forty hours a week and have complete control over how and when I do my work - but still have nearly my old income coming in and the sense of accomplishment with getting shit done. (Besides the aforementioned finding sec-clearanced aerotech saavy computer techs - that's been a thorn in my side - easy to find all the industrial level workers around here, but NASA, Blue Origin, SpaceX, etc seem to vampire up all the techies that I'm expected to find before I get to them)

If there's any way you could retire while still retaining some contract work, that's really the ideal I'd suggest - because after the initial "long break" of it, it gets boring unless you're spending big $$ to travel/etc constantly.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
a million..hmm

pay off house
buy a new car
maybe get a lake side cabin in the woods somewhere.
get 2 shetland sheepdogs.

boat nothing huge 35' or so
travel

toss 400k into trust funds for the kids (133k each) something that does long term growth- minimum 10% a year average growth, not let them touch the funds until they are 35ish- so they would have 20yrs of growth...which would give them around a million dollars each.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I would buy a Dunkin Donuts franchise.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'd buy land somewhere with snow.

If your asking for 2.2, your going to lose 0-700k on taxes, prolly what 25% to 50% to attorneys? So . . . I'd hold off on the "what ifs". Esp adding in it could take a few years, etc.

Continue with your life like you wont get shit, b/c you might not.

• 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
31 Windy Cross Lane, Rangeley, Maine.

1280243_2.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Quit second job.
Update house and landscape, pay off house and car. Go on giant vacation or 6, one all by my self as an adventure, take certain others such as my mom to wherever she wants to go. Build my arsenal. Invest remaining money with help of trusted financial advisor with access to share as desired to family or pet projects.
Keep working but care a fuck ton less.

• 1Like