I thought I was doing fine, dying two or three times against most bosses but then beating them, and able to beat them first try for the most part in boss rematch.
And then I started the final couple story missions.
I am humbled.
I’m assuming that perfect block is holding L1 then tapping X or whatever. On ps5 here. So my dumbass got told about that. So I was trying jt during multiple fights. Found out this morning it’s a talent or skill you get later? lol.
Issen man - my ass is not reflexive enough for that.
Yeah. I was fighting some white lion something fucker. I’m only 25% in per the PlayStation tracker. But I had a hard time getting the timing down on some of his moves to deflect. I do like that the AI will back away to regenerate stamina. Forces you to not turtle, which is my natural tendency.
It's impressive reflexes for sure. But sadly I think it also makes the fights a lot less interesting visually, they're just "spamming" (with incredibly precise timing of course) the same move over and over again, no swords clashing, no deflections, no dodges, no grabs, and of course there's the health sponge problem. Even an overhead hit with two hands as a Oni takes away like 3% of the enemy's health (and it's not even a real boss). Hell, even the ultimate Oni finisher near the end only chips away some health.
It's a shame they based Carnage difficulty around Issen mostly because I think it takes away from a lot of the game's strengths (the beautiful combat and the different ways to approach it).