Orange Is the New Black

iannis

Musty Nester
"we need to stop gang activity"
niiiiiice

Fuck. Daya is a stupid cunt. One moment she seems resistant to her stupid mother's influence. The next she comes across as naive and impressionable. Why would she be ok with her baby remaining in the custody of her mom and her drug-peddling relatives?
Daya is just about the weakest character in the show. I don't know what they tried to do with her. I still don't know, 4 seasons in. In a way maybe she's the most believable? She's been flanderized the least.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Daya is just stupid and the by-product of the even dumber mother Aleida, who should know better. Isn't Daya one out of 5 children she popped out, all with different fathers? Then when she gets sent to prison, remember she adopts Maritza as her prison daughter, and is jealous of Daya and ostracizes her.

Then she fucks up the best thing for her grand-daughter, by letting a drug dealer take care of it, not to mention he's dealing with 5 or 8 other kids, although, he does seem to at least be parental.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
yup

Basically Caputo needs to cut a tree down, but he only gets the budget to buy a spork, so cut a tree down with a spork.

Well the head guy actually seems pretty good, he's basically acting how i think a head guy should act (not that i'm agreeing with all that brotherhood bullshit, but when you're in a building with animals, the brotherhood is your lifeline).
Piscatella is the definition of despot. Half the shit he does would probably be considered cruel and unusual punishment. However, I agree that the writers have gone overboard with the corrupt COs. I don't imagine this type of behavior is all that uncommon in the real world, but there doesn't seem to be one good apple in this new group of guards.

Caliane

No no. there was one, He had flashbacks. Then murdered an inmate. What a coincidence.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Completely agree. Although it was in some ways vastly more entertaining than last season it was also pretty much jumping sharks 5 times an episode.

They have black guards at the prison and none of them object to the other guards calling the prisoners monkeys and gorillas?

Please.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Turns out the fat one is the worst of all. Making a kid juggle grenades and murdering a girl after raping her? God damn.

Good season but I agree the evil CO's were over the top stupid.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Turns out the fat one is the worst of all. Making a kid juggle grenades and murdering a girl after raping her? God damn.

Good season but I agree the evil CO's were over the top stupid.
But he did that to Jawas, so no one cares.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I didn't mean it was because they were vets, more that they were going for the cheapest option for a second time. First round after they priced out the real guards they got random people off the street including a well meaning but in over his head guy and a weird perv etc with no idea what they are doing. Then he asks for more help and they grab untrained, obviously unscreened vets because they are cheap and that causes problems again. It just goes along with the rest of the theme of the season which is the corporate guys have no idea how to run stuff they just go for whatever is cheapest (food, guards, labor camps etc) to increase their profits.
Yeah, I think the ultimate goal this season is to portray corporate-owned prisons as corrupt and uncaring. The new COs, like the crappy food they're now being served, is an extension of that and meant to show how much worse the prison has become since MCC took over. The problem the writers faced, however, is how do you make guards that are worse than the ones they previously had - ones that traded drugs for sex, screwed inmates, are incredibly lazy, or helped smuggle things in? I guess that answer is to make them all psychopaths, murderers, and rapists?

While it did create some good drama, I think they could've accomplished the same thing more realistically by emphasizing the authoritarian aspects Piscatella was instituting without having to go over the top with the COs. But then, I think one of the main problems with the show right along is how ridiculous their villains become.

Piscatella is the definition of despot. Half the shit he does would probably be considered cruel and unusual punishment. However, I agree that the writers have gone overboard with the corrupt COs. I don't imagine this type of behavior is all that uncommon in the real world, but there doesn't seem to be one good apple in this new group of guards.
I don't recall the female CO ever doing anything questionable. She seemed to waking up to some of the shit going on around her. I also don't think the guard with the shaved head that made Flores stand on the table was supposed to really be that bad. Seemed he was like Bayley and just in over his head. He didn't expect Flores to hold out for as long as she did and wanted to let her down, but the fat guard and Piscatella wouldn't let him since they said it would make the COs look weak.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think one of the points they were getting at was the us v them nature of the prison. The guards start looking to root out gang activity, in doing so they display behavior similar to gang activity. It isn't as if they are all bad, but a couple are and that is enough to severely impact the entire prison. Especially with Piscatella at the helm.

I didn't buy him just straight up telling Caputo to fuck off. Yeah ok, even if you win today, how does that play for you in the long term? MCC would fire a hundred guards before one warden.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really enjoyed this season even if it was a bit heavy on the "See the guards should be in jail not these woman!" mantra

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man this season is sad.

it's clear the writers don't give a fuck about the two white girls, the blond and that 70s girl, every other fucking girl is more interesting.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't even remember if I watched season 4
Clicked this thread out of curiosity. I want to say I watched the first episode or two of the last season.

They really fucking destroyed what was an entertaining (not necessarily "good") show.

iannis

Musty Nester
We got a lot of caputo backstory last season. And him having an affair with Anorexia McNose. And we had one REALLY good episode about Pensatucky. I remember that episode. Shit got dark. Real dark. I think that was season 4.

I mean most of the show is mildly entertaining garbage. Where they shine is in those vingette episodes. That Pensatucky episode really was good.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We got a lot of caputo backstory last season. And him having an affair with Anorexia McNose. And we had one REALLY good episode about Pensatucky. I remember that episode. Shit got dark. Real dark. I think that was season 4.

I mean most of the show is mildly entertaining garbage. Where they shine is in those vingette episodes. That Pensatucky episode really was good.
yea... if you liked that, say fuck you to S5 then...

the flashbacks are horrible... actually in a twist, the only good flash backs are for the white ppl, the blacks have really horrible flashbacks and are downright boring as shit, actually it's more like the SJW flashback edition, it's really disgusting.

iannis

Musty Nester
:(

That was basically the saving grace of the show.

YOU HAD ONE JOB, PRISON LESBIANS. ONE FUCKING JOB.