Outward (PC/Xbox/PS4 Survival RPG Mar-26)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Reading mostly not so good things about this. Anyone here playing it yet?

I'm seeing some really good reviews and some sort of bad reviews. The negative reviews seem to not agree with each other -- i.e. both overall are negative, but one says the combat sucks and then other says the combat is one of the few good things.

I'm downloading it to my PS4 right now. We'll see.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Saw that it was getting mixed on Steam. Then read the reviews. Most complained about graphics.

Looks more like a game where if you could get past some mechanics and oddities (similar to the Risen / Gothic franchises) you'd like this. But that goes against what many younger people like who want things more polished. Even saw a review that listed combat difficulty (saying it was similar to Dark Souls) as a negative.

Was thinking about buying it on PS4, but I got worried that it had only 6 ratings there, all one star. At that point I thought it might have been an error with that version, but can't find anything about it being unplayable.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Wait is this true? Can someone confirm?

It says 2-2 network players. So think so. Local up to two and network up to two. If not I assume it would show as 2 - 4? 2 local but 4 through network?

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If this thing sucks TJT TJT doesn't get to pick a game for us to play any longer.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Saw that it was getting mixed on Steam. Then read the reviews. Most complained about graphics.

Looks more like a game where if you could get past some mechanics and oddities (similar to the Risen / Gothic franchises) you'd like this. But that goes against what many younger people like who want things more polished. Even saw a review that listed combat difficulty (saying it was similar to Dark Souls) as a negative.

Was thinking about buying it on PS4, but I got worried that it had only 6 ratings there, all one star. At that point I thought it might have been an error with that version, but can't find anything about it being unplayable.
My first thoughts. On pc obviously.
Did the tutorial with a controller then back again with keyboard.

The game is rough around the edges for sure. clearly very few people.
first, the game loaded up and defaulted 1152x864 resolution. I had to go set the proper 1920x1200. then all graphics settings were at Medium. I think it just defaults there, no auto-detect or anything. so, im not sure exactly what my 1070 can properly handle... i put it at very high, and turned motion blur off.

Menus.. 50% look and feel like they were designed for consoles, and controllers. others, feel way better on keyboard. very spotty.
Quickslots are a million times easier with keyboard. Dodge/run as well too. since shift for run/ space for dodge on keyboard. dodge and run are the SAME button on controller.
If I try playing this on controller. LT RT vs LB RB ugh. fuck that shit up all the time. LB is dodge/run, RB is block. LT and RT swap quickslots. and got to hold them down, and pres x,y,a, etc to use em. fucking rough.

Tutorial is a SEPARATE like 10 minute dungeon. not part of the maingame experiance. as in, you run the tutorial with a prefab npc, etc. havent seen this shit in years..
Presumably this is due to the legacy, replay system.

I don't feel the combat is super responsive. Block/dodge, etc. Its no For Honor. I didn't play Darksouls much, cause I kindof hated it. But, I would not compare this to that. I would compare this to zelda. Brief experience in the tutorial, dodge rolls didn't seem to do much. always got hit still. blocking was much more effective. but, putting block back up after an attack. not fast..

Also, there is no jump.

Last edited:

Caliane

looking at steam discussions, I'm seeing people say 2 player only. although much of it is speculation.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Anyone playing in PS4 and in the inventory menu your slider moves up and you have to keep pressing down to get back to the items in inventory? Annoying. Anyway, did the tutorial. Ready to rock when TJT TJT gets home.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
After playing a couple of hours I feel like there is a good game underneath but it's just off a bit. Not a big fan of the combat as it's just kinda clunky and can piss you off with weird response times.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Utnayan and I played for like an hour or so. This game is great. But janky and has plenty of problems. Really a diamond in the rough. But running around and doing shit not knowing whats coming is a lot of fun and really reminiscent of playing EverQuest back in the day. It even has the shitty combat system!

Combat is wonky, shit is confusing but it's fun. Ut and I are wizards now. Eat it Grandma!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We stumbled upon magic :) that was cool. Now for the first time ever I’m not following a map and listening to directions and just found a cave I was looking for. This rocks. :)

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah combat is wonky. Graphics are kinda EQ ish though. Game really reminds me of an upgraded non mmorpg two player coop EQ if it had actual quests.

This tribe is fucking brutal though. One person in your family makes a mistake it’s like reparation city for the life of generations of your bloodline. Makes me want to kill the entire city and tell them to fuck off and steal all their shit.

• 1Like

Caliane

nah, the blood debt makes sense. Liberty is only an option with safety. Living in a world with slavers, bandits, and giant monsters everywhere, where its not safe for the average person to leave the village walls, you are going to have to make major concessions, and work together as a community with very strict laws.
Its a very lax form of indebted servitude. No prisons, no executions. Can't afford to lose people to them, or guards wasted on them. So, people are put to work, ensuring the safety and survival of the community.

Rolands mistake cost like 15-20 lives, and family fortunes in cargo.
Family's work together for gains, makes sense they would also pay off debts. I mean look at Game of thrones. Lineage works the same there.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

Starter blood price payment and early quests are a bit oddly balanced.
Walk around town at the start, and you can collect a number of quests, and hints. Some of those hints/quests are huge time sinks, a long ways away. Which would be giant noob traps to attempt to complete for your 150s. While, a couple others, are super simple, and just super basic gathering of very local mats probably can pay the debt off within 1 day..

The timed event for healing the guy on the beach is the worst offender for a bit too easy. Granted, you have to try going to the beach. But, your friend does send you south to a shipwreck for a hidden chest. Funnily enough, THAT hidden chest, is NOT on the south west beach you might think, its actually much further to the south. Really far. not reasonable to try for the 5d timer.

Bitterhollow is the easiest way to get the cash, with adventure. lots o easy to kill creatures, and items to sell.

I am pretty sure you can pay off the debt.. without even leaving town. Just picking up every item not tied down, and completing the couple quests you can in town. and selling everything. granted, much of the useful stuff you might want to keep.

Worst case, probably can make the silver... using the water flask to collect salt water, boiling it, and selling the salt, over and over.
edit: nope. vendors wont buy salt. ha.

Last edited: