Overrated Albums of the 90s.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Coma was a multi-key changing sprawling epic of a song off that album that I really liked! But overall I'd say that UYI 1 was the more inferior of the two (UYI 2 being king... more 'hits' )

View attachment 265072

This is my submission. Now hear me out! I'm not denying their overarching influencing on pretty much taking hair-metal bands and curbstomping that entire genre out of existence. That cheeve is well earned on their part.

I put this as an overrated album strictly from a musician's point of view. Whilst the hair-bands that Nirvana overtook were cheesy in retrospect, they still commanded great musical talent in their music... much more so in heavy metal like Metallica and Prog Rock like Rush from the era pre-Grunge. Nirvana took a shit on all of that. Their songs were catchy, I give credit, but they were mind-numbingly basic from an artistic point of view and I realize that was kinda their point. A revolt and social dissonance to the established and polished rock/metal scene and sound of the late 80s very early 90s.

I'm sure I'll rustle some jims with picking Nirvana but again... Culturally? Yes, they had a significant place in music history but musically? Overrated as f00k.

My final series of shitposts. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is completely false. Yeah those hair metal bands could shred, but that's it. There's much more to musicianship than playing notes fast. None of those hair metal bands could play La Villa Strangiato. Guess Tommy Lee really gets you going and that biases you.

Some of the grunge bands had truly legit music talent. Soundgarden was the real deal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
None of those hair metal bands could play La Villa Strangiato. Guess Tommy Lee really gets you going and that biases you.
they still commanded great musical talent in their music... much more so in heavy metal like Metallica and Prog Rock like Rush
I'm a fan of Rush too (as evidenced by my bolded quote above) and can play La Villa Strangiato. Hair metal bands could replicate or come closer to replicating La Villa on their respective instruments more than Nirvana, guaranteed. Hair metal bands could probably cover ever single Nirvana song note for note MUCH faster than Nirvana could cover every single hair metal band's songs.

Yes, I fully agree that there is more to music than "playing fast" and "shredding" that's why I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Vai than Malmsteen for example and Rush than Motley Crue, but I think what I stated above is factually correct :/ We agree to disagree if you don't see my point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was just saying that the musicians in hair metal bands aren't beating out my boys in Rush. Those hair metal dudes can't count anything not in 4/4.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I was just saying that the musicians in hair metal bands aren't beating out my boys in Rush. Those hair metal dudes can't count anything not in 4/4.
Mostly, yes, I can't disagree here.

Metallica is mainstream now (though their newest shit kinda got back more to their roots vs. Black/Load/Re-Load era) but if you're familiar with Justice and Puppets, you'll find songs chock full of odd meters and alternating 4/4 3/4 sigs. They "sold out" on the Black Album (thanks Bob Rock!!!) but also improved their sound tenfold. It's just a matter of your particular taste but I really dug pre-Black Metallica musicianship wise.

• 3Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg

Yes this is a "fine" album. I'll never understand why it generally gets more hype than Mellon Collie though. I enjoy it much, much more. The song writing is more mature, the production is better, and Mellon Collie has quality and quantity.

Official_Album_Cover_of__The_Downward_Spiral__by_Nine_Inch_Nails.png

I know many NIN fans consider this to be their best album. I am not one of those fans. I fucking love NIN, but this album is not why I love them. It has 2-3 songs I like but that's it. Gimme Fragile any day.

Achtung_Baby.png

U2 is overrated so this album is too.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
almost all music coming out of the 90s was overrated with the exception of _____________

More of an autotune fan eh? Or the screamo of the 2000s? The 90s was one of the last eras when harder edge rock with some legit musicianship and more creative sonhwriting could make it mainstream. It still happened in the 2000s but it was only a handful bands by then. Now Top 40 is mostly pure garbage. Still great music coming out, but it's all relatively underground.

• 1Solidarity

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
In the 90s, smashing pumpkins was a great studio band. They were absolutely terrible live. Everything they've done since the original lineup changed has been forgettable

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
aug.jpeg

Fairly recently they released the titular track. Although the unfinished lyrics adorn the cover the song was never part of the original album.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 265550

Yes this is a "fine" album. I'll never understand why it generally gets more hype than Mellon Collie though. I enjoy it much, much more. The song writing is more mature, the production is better, and Mellon Collie has quality and quantity.
Couldn't disagree more. While I think Mellon Collie tends to be a bit underrated, Siamese Dream is a fucking masterpiece. In fact, it might even be my favorite "grunge era" album ever. Hummer is probably the only song on that entire album that I'd put into the "meh" category. You have shit like Soma, Luna, and Mayonaise as amazing, "slower" songs. Disarm is fantastic from a lyrical standpoint, and of course the massive hits like Cherub Rock, Today, etc.

Mellon Collie is great album(Porcelina might be my all-time favorite Pumpkins song and almost nobody has ever heard of it). But outside of 1979 and By Starlight, the 2nd part of that album goes downhill quick. That was the start of Corgan going "artsy-fartsy" and by Adore, he had gone completely off the rails. The "Super Deluxe" version of the album is 6 goddamn discs - stupid.

Their last album was actually pretty decent though. Probably some of their best stuff since Mellon Collie. Songs like Knights of Malta and Silvery Sometimes remind me a lot of early Pumpkins.

In the 90s, smashing pumpkins was a great studio band. They were absolutely terrible live. Everything they've done since the original lineup changed has been forgettable

Yeah, I've seen them live once after D'arcy left. Mostly as a "just to say I did", because I had everyone telling me they were garbage live. They were right and are pretty horrible live.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is somewhat hilarious to me that Butch Vig is responsible for like 2/3rds of the albums in this thread. But he was probably responsible for 2/3rds of the music back in the day.

Not sure what I would consider overrated, this is kind of my wheelhouse. From my tastes not OK Computer at all but then again we were listening to Radiohead at Pablo Honey so the critical acclaim for OK Computer didn’t put any higher importance on it than “just another good Radiohead album.” And that’s including me flying to Nüremberg to see them at Rock-I’m-Park.

Beck I could see but his library is so extensive and diverse. Maybe Odelay is overrated in the face of his other work. Smashing Punpkins I never really “got got” like a few friends. iva is my favorite song of theirs though and that’s from Gish for whatever that means. Like I had friends that did nothing but collect live albums of Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews. Seemed totally bizarre.

Fuck U2.

Ooohhhh what about Dummy by Portishead? Man I loved that album so much. And really still do, but man, in retrospect it is no wonder I was cutting myself in high school.

And anything Ken Andrews touched was underrated.

*edit: realized auto correct changed Siva to Diva.
Also, didn’t Dave Grohl play all the instruments on that debut Foo Fighters album with maybe some help from Pat Smear? Like Taylor wasn’t in the band yet, or what’s his name.... maybe that was just a rumor back in the day. I had a lot of hate for Dave there for a minute, after Color and the Shape maybe. Seemed like he let the rockstar go to his head and was turning his back and snubbing his nose to the Nirvana stuff. Really I was just young and didn’t understand how things work and took it all too seriously.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
View attachment 265550

You should listen to Billy Corrigan's JRE; I have way more appreciation of him as a person and Smashing Pumpkins as a band after hearing that. I don't think that anything they did is overrated but sometimes, people are more excited about an artist's first work, or the first work in which they discover an artist, even when later works are better/more developed/more mature. I am guilty of that just below.
View attachment 265552

I know many NIN fans consider this to be their best album. I am not one of those fans. I fucking love NIN, but this album is not why I love them. It has 2-3 songs I like but that's it. Gimme Fragile any day.
I saw NIN in 1989/90 in Houston at UH when he opened for Peter Murphy and got mistakenly seated in like the 6th row. It was awesome until the Goth couple showed up to see the former Bauhaus guy, although "Cuts You Up" is a great song and we watched from our real seats in the nosebleeds. :) Pretty Hate Machine will always be my favorite NIN album. It was an explosion of something (at least for me) something all together new. Pretty Hate Machine essentially was proto-electronic grunge but really tapped into that anger that would define the first half of the 90's.
View attachment 265553

U2 is overrated so this album is too.
Personal taste and all that, I have a varied history with U2. They had the Protest Trilogy and then Rattle and Hum, and then every other album was good: the Joshua Tree (meh), and then Achtung Baby (great) then Popmart(terrible) the How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb(really good) then No Line on the Horizon (terrible). They just became rockstars and mostly started phoning it in; In between those good albums were tour/live albums and movies of the tour and unreleased singles and the machine kept churning out product to be consumed and keep the profit engine running to allow Bono to do his charity work. TLDR: They aren't overrated, they just quit trying and are mostly coasting at this point. At that point, though, they were just finding a new sound and still making music and not going through the motions.
View attachment 265075

I couldnt stand this shit on the radio every day. I get it, I know every song but it was never on any ipod or anything I owned. Never had a cd but I saw them live and hes a Cubs fanatic so hes only half as bad.
One of my best friends was a die-hard PJ fan, would fly someone to see them every time they toured. This was the only album of theirs I liked. I don't know if it was because of my age when it came out (19?) but I just connected with this album. When Vs. came out, I was thrilled... until I listened to it, and couldn't find a single song on the whole album that I liked. Ten remains the sole album of the band with which I found any connection. To me its also one of the best *albums* of all time, with almost no filler; Almost the whole album is good start to finish.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I dont know about most overrated but most underrated is obviously anything by Blood Hound Gang.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never really got radiohead.

It's not bad music, but it follows a pretty simple format most of the time. It's super spaced out and hard to focus on and then the singer will say something completely fucked up very clearly. Which makes it -perfect- stoner party music.

Obviously they also produced a few songs that are basically top ten of the decade. So it's not like i'm shitting on radiohead.

A band that I really really never got was Stone Temple Pilots. But I think they were more '00's than they were '90's.

At the age of 19 I did a 13 hour road trip with some friends in an 1970 something VW bug that included lots whippets, weed, ecstasy, and Ok computer on repeat. Still to this day I get a bit of an after glow if I listen to a song.

Dookie was my girlfriend's favorite album at the time and while she wasnt my first, we did a lot of first time things in the bedroom with that album on so it gets a pass from me but they are whiney fucks.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
And while not overrated related, lead singer for Fountains of Wayne died of COVID a couple weeks ago. I got in to them and Local H real big back in 96.

• 2WTF

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Pretty sure Corgan was the only talented musician in the band to begin with. Remember reading he had to record most of the parts himself for the albums, either because the rest of his band sucked or were too strung out on H to do it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Overrated: Rage Against the Machine, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Flaming Lips

Underrated: Monster Magnet, Filter, Sneaker Pimps, Oasis, Kyuss

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic