Overrated Albums of the 90s.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure Corgan was the only talented musician in the band to begin with. Remember reading he had to record most of the parts himself for the albums, either because the rest of his band sucked or were too strung out on H to do it.
The drummer was/is excellent, and the rhythm guitarist was pretty good too. Billy was just an obsessive perfectionist, narcissistic, and very difficult to work with. Heroin didn't really hit the band hard until the Mellon Collie tour, and it claimed the life of the touring keyboardist and landed the drummer in rehab.

Oh, and I would disagree with listing the Flaming Lips as overrated. The average person has never heard a single song, and the Soft Bulletin is an all-time great album. They've been very hit or miss, and always weird, but I don't know who really acclaims them enough to call them overrated.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Overrated: Rage Against the Machine, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Flaming Lips

Underrated: Monster Magnet, Filter, Sneaker Pimps, Oasis, Kyuss
I loved Rage until I got older and started hating commies.

100% agree on Monster Magnet and Kyuss though. Love both of them.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Rage for me is still all about some of the best guitar riffs ever written. And Morello's wild effect use. Morello kicks ass.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
None of the bands mentioned are overrated because I have heard of them. All except My Bloody Valentine, I had never heard of them and checked out some of their music. I did not like it. I now consider them overrated because I wish I never heard of, and look forward to forgetting, that band.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
This thread is easy mode, cut and paste anything Synj Synj likes and its game over.

Also I think everything NIN is boring garage but it gives me a pavlovian boner because every stripper I pulled from a bar danced to Reznor being emo.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This thread is easy mode, cut and paste anything Synj Synj likes and its game over.

Also I think everything NIN is boring garage but it gives me a pavlovian boner because every stripper I pulled from a bar danced to Reznor being emo.
Deftones and Rob/White Zombie are the kings of stripper music.

• 2Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Rage for me is still all about some of the best guitar riffs ever written. And Morello's wild effect use. Morello kicks ass.
I love Morello on guitar, but he's also a retarded commie.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I love Morello on guitar, but he's also a retarded commie.

That stuff doesn't really impact my opinion. Jack White is an enormous douchebag but the dude can rock out and Raconteurs have produced some of the best pure rock music in the past 15 years. The dudes in Led Zeppelin definitely got into some nefarious shit, but I still think they're the greatest rock band of all time.

• 2Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't hate them. I just am not nearly as big of a fan as when I was young and dumb.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Overrated 90s albums? Anything by R.E.M.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users
Use Your Illusion i and II were terrible records, the absolute worst. Anything past Gish for the Pumpkins is for suckers.

Both bands had one good album in them. But the music biz will milk your grannies tits if they thought a kid would buy the resulting pablum.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Overrated: Green Day
Underrated: Gravity Kills
Rated correctly: Everclear

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I still think Tool aged the best out of the 90s. Still my favourite band. I’m ashamed I liked Limp Bizkit and Korn. God damn is Korn ever unlistenable and I religiously played their debut album in the mid 90s. Give them credit for creating a new gender but also credit them for the downfall of rock thanks to spawning all the garbage rock bands of the 00s.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I still think Tool aged the best out of the 90s. Still my favourite band. I’m ashamed I liked Limp Bizkit and Korn. God damn is Korn ever unlistenable and I religiously played their debut album in the mid 90s. Give them credit for creating a new gender but also credit them for the downfall of rock thanks to spawning all the garbage rock bands of the 00s.
Limp Bizkit's music has actually aged pretty well I would say. What Limp Bizkit was doing in 1999 isn't much different from what Post Malone is doing in 2020. Listen to "Circles" and "Re-arranged" back to back and tell me I'm wrong. Biggest difference is that Limp Bizkit played instruments and didn't rely on autotune. The thing is though Fred Durst was such a tool and their most popular songs were pretty cheesy (Nookie, Break Stuff) and that's the only thing that anybody remembers about them, so their music will never get the credit it deserves.

Korn on the other hand hasn't aged well at all but I guess that's expected when half of your songs are about being diddled as a child. In fact I'm not all that sure how they got so popular in the first place. "Blind" and "Freak on a Leash" are good songs though.

One thing I'll give Limp Bizkit / Korn and the rest of that genre credit for is the festivals they had were on another level compared to the shit today. When I went to my first Ozzfest I was like 13 and never seen a pair of tits in person before. I probably saw 20 pairs that day. In fact if you watch the Limp Bizkit performance from Woodstock 99 on YouTube you can see many pairs of tits and also many cases of what we would now call sexual assault.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
That stuff doesn't really impact my opinion. Jack White is an enormous douchebag but the dude can rock out and Raconteurs have produced some of the best pure rock music in the past 15 years. The dudes in Led Zeppelin definitely got into some nefarious shit, but I still think they're the greatest rock band of all time.
Ac-dc shit all over led Zeppelin.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
AC/DC and Led Zeppelin weren't really in the same genre, it's pretty hard to make a comparison. AC/DC's musical was always fairly popish and accessible even from their early days. Zeppelin was more experimental and progressive. It's like comparing the Foo Fighters to the Mars Volta, or Guns N Roses to Dream Theater. Maybe not quite to that extreme but you get the point.

• 3Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I loved Rage until I got older and started hating commies.
Pretty much this. I still love the riffs, but then I pay attention to the lyrics and I skip to something else.

• 2Like