Overwatch

xzi

Mouthbreather
For anyone that got to try competitive during the beta, how does the queue system work? Can you queue with any number of people or do they have restrictions from solo to full group like HotS?
At the moment there's no restrictions, but like mentioned above I'm fairly certain it tries to queue you with similar group sizes (3 + 2 vs 3 + 2 queue). Wouldn't be surprising to get a solo queue post launch tbh.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I hope at launch they can figure something out about leavers/afks in competitive games. There is nothing worse than having to go through the motions in a 5v6.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think 40 dollars is more than reasonable for this game. Anyone complaining is, indeed, spoiled. It could be 20-30 because it's just multiplayer with no campaign, but it could also be 60 dollars like any console game ever. 40 is a good sweet spot.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You're right, if $110 was reasonably priced for Battlefront this is a relative bargain.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Overwatch is going to live and die by the size of its player pool, it just needs to be sufficiently large so that matchmaking can do its magic. The further outside the average skill range an individual lies - the longer their wait time if a competitive game is even attainable given the possible players it can slot in. The biggest challenge will be to have large enough active communities on all three platforms. The one weakness of the FPS genre is that PC and Console players cannot be allowed to crossplay. Just in contrast to a game like Rocket League - which benefits so massively from cross platform match making. There is 50-60,000 concurrent players at the slowest times (early AM west coast). It will be curious to see if we are allowed to see the number of concurrent player in the matchmaking pool like Rocket League does. I doubt Blizzard will display that information.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just watching this guy and honestly it's the first time I ever looked at this game. The documentaries finally made me take a few glances at the game and honestly it has potential. It tugged on my nostalgia a bit thinking about playing Unreal many moons ago (not UT but yeah, Unreal) but agree. This game will really live and die on the playerbase and possibly more importantly how they tweak the game from here.

I would like to see your character become a little more unique and individualized. They would also take advantage of cash shop appearance items that way as well. Regardless, looks fun but curious what they'll do keep players coming back for more.

*** Edit: Have since looked a little deeper and looks like they're taking the LoL approach to characters. Skins and such. Still skeptical of the longevity of this game. Needs to be a bit more skill involved and strategy. Again, i'm still new to this game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
*** Edit: Have since looked a little deeper and looks like they're taking the LoL approach to characters. Skins and such. Still skeptical of the longevity of this game. Needs to be a bit more skill involved and strategy. Again, i'm still new to this game.
Yeah, not sure about the longevity of it. I enjoy the game but I feel like it's going to be more of a flavor of the month shooter vs a long-lasting one. I have played with people that have played at a pretty high skill level in other games (cs/tf2/quake) and I do think that high level play in this game will be intense and have far more strategy than what is believed to be the current meta. I really look forward to it but like others said, the game is going to rely completely on the community more than the devs it feels. The maps all have decent layouts so I don't think that will ever be an issue.

Give us at least a map maker and I feel it will be around for much longer, because god knows modding communities are the reason most popular FPS games are still alive today.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If they provided some kind of map editor/custom servers I could really see this thing having some legs, however, it's Blizzard so that means it will be locked the fuck down.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well that's kind of an odd thing to say considering all their RTS games have editors unlike most of the genre.

But it will probably be locked down because it must be some sort of narrative kid friendly experience in order to attract Lego licensing and all that.

Tenks

If they provided some kind of map editor/custom servers I could really see this thing having some legs, however, it's Blizzard so that means it will be locked the fuck down.
I must have missed where Starcraft / SC2 didn't ship with outstanding tool editors.

They said in the future they would like to hand over map making tools but they said at the moment the tools are clunky and difficult to use and targeted more towards internal users

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm surprised they didn't ship with a map editor considering that's all Tigole talked about in part 2 of that series.

Maybe they are scared of another Dota situation.

Tenks

They hedged DOTA situations with the new EULA for their editors. To point everything you create in the SC2 editor is property of Blizzard.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Yeah, not sure about the longevity of it. I enjoy the game but I feel like it's going to be more of a flavor of the month shooter vs a long-lasting one. I have played with people that have played at a pretty high skill level in other games (cs/tf2/quake) and I do think that high level play in this game will be intense and have far more strategy than what is believed to be the current meta. I really look forward to it but like others said, the game is going to rely completely on the community more than the devs it feels. The maps all have decent layouts so I don't think that will ever be an issue.

Give us at least a map maker and I feel it will be around for much longer, because god knows modding communities are the reason most popular FPS games are still alive today.
I will have great longevity. Just like you can be good at HotS much easier then you can be good at LoL, this game won't be for the hardcore pwnface shooter crowd. It will be for the old guys or decent players who can never push it past decent in another game. This is Blizzard. Game company of the casual who makes games that have good art and are meh in mechanics but cater to everyone.

Tenks

Man I usually go home and play a few games of this after work. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to fill that 45m lull.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I must have missed where Starcraft / SC2 didn't ship with outstanding tool editors.

They said in the future they would like to hand over map making tools but they said at the moment the tools are clunky and difficult to use and targeted more towards internal users
Lol clunky. Didn't know Blizzard hired EAs pr people

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
2 days to decide if I want to pre-order or not and I'm honestly not sure.

Also, did they change the open beta dates for pre-ordering? For some reason I want to say I remember it being you play straight through until launch, maybe I'm old and just remembering something else.

Tenks

There is a hiatus. Open beta is pretty short. It ends the 9th and the release is the 24th.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
2 days to decide if I want to pre-order or not and I'm honestly not sure.

Also, did they change the open beta dates for pre-ordering? For some reason I want to say I remember it being you play straight through until launch, maybe I'm old and just remembering something else.
Why don't you just pre-order on Amazon? They will send you two codes and when the open beta is over you can cancel if you don't like it.