Overwatch

Xevy

Log Wizard
Also twitch is the Tindr of video game community building. You can literally see some one and how they perform/act before approaching them to play a game with you or your guild or whatever. I agree though about 90% of streams are people with 1-5 viewers a night who will never make it. But that's society. Everyone wants to be a celebrity but very few have the ability to become one.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Probably more like "I'm an autistic weirdo who is not gregarious enough to actually be a full time entertainer but I'm going pro in twitch anyways." Probably stream 10 hours a day for years and get 1k viewers consistently but that isn't funding the 401k. Just because very few people on twitch are making a king's ransom doesn't mean everyone will. It takes a certain skill set to be a popular streamer. A skill set I'm introspective enough to know I do not possess.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll try and lower my settings and play some tonight, I tried last night and the lag was unbearable but was playing with friends so just closed it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If someone is pulling a consistent 4k viewers on their stream they are making north of 50k/year off it. There's unbelievable money to be made in Twitch if you can build any kind of audience.

Dudes like Summit are banking couple hundred thousand a year, and Lirik may actually be at a million already.
I guess I don't have any numbers to say one way or the other. My numbers are all ancient from when SC2 was starting and most money was made off ads and the fill rate at the time. It seems a bit high to think someone broadcasting to 4k people a day can make 50k a year. That would mean one consistent viewer is effectively worth ~$12/yr. Which I guess may be accurate if they make $2.50/mo off a sub.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Elohime just did a 24hr Overwatch stream and he is fairly entertaining to watch on big releases. I don't like Summit because he doesn't have much of a personality, but if you spend a little time in some of the larger channels chats you'll see the chat community around the streamer has a life of it's own. They'll even have forums and subreddits dedicated to them, so that 14k or so people that summit has watching him is always there. The threshold for being able to start to survive off twitch seems to be around 1k.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like Elohime, I'm always happy when I see him streaming something I'm curious about because he isn't a gigantic tool and seems like a nice guy in general. He's not hyper-skilled but isn't retarded either.

I thought subs were $5/month? I've never subbed or had subs so idk. I am just now trying to stream when I'm doing something, basically just because. I have no interest in dedicating much time to the actual stream
smile.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Subs are 5$ yea, but the least public figures anyone got on how it breaks down is about a 50/50 split with Twitch, depending on your partnership deal.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I guess I don't have any numbers to say one way or the other. My numbers are all ancient from when SC2 was starting and most money was made off ads and the fill rate at the time. It seems a bit high to think someone broadcasting to 4k people a day can make 50k a year. That would mean one consistent viewer is effectively worth ~$12/yr. Which I guess may be accurate if they make $2.50/mo off a sub.
Streamers make money on Twitch from:
  • Twitch Ads (non-Adblock viewers only)
  • Donations
  • Subscriptions

I don't know exact current dollar numbers and I have to believe that Twitch has differing rates per Streamer. I know Nightblue3 was stoked to work out some premium deal with Twitch so that he had an Ad-Free experience and only money he takes in is Donations/Subs.

Using my foggy memory, I believe Ad Rates are like $0.01/1k views/Ad. So someone with 2,000 viewers and no Ad-Block would make $2 per Ad. Most streamers of LoL do a block of 3 Ads before & after a game.. So ~9 Ads/Hr (game length ~40mins). Comes to $18/Hr from Ads with 2k viewers not using Adblock.
Take into account that ~80% of twitch viewers have Adblock and you would need to have a viewership of 10,000 to get that $18/Hr.

Donations are 100% profit.

Subscriptions are $5 but Twitch takes a cut, which probably differs by streamer. I read a post somewhere that one streamer was taking $3 of the $5. So if you get 500 Subs/Month that's another $1,500 in Revenue from subs. Subscriptions are monthly btw, so income keeps coming in from Re-subs.

Using VERY BAD statistics & math pulled from my ass:

Stream for 10Hrs/Day for 22 days each month to 4k people Average
Total Streaming: 220 hours/Month

$7.2 per Hr from Ads
$2.72 per Hr from a sub rate of 200 subs/month (5% of viewership)
$2.27 per Hr from donation rate of $500/month (random amount)

Total: $12.19/Hr streaming to 4k people Avg.
$2,681.80 per month
$670.45 per week

This obviously doesn't take into account YouTube videos & Sponsors.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Using VERY BAD statistics & math pulled from my ass:

Stream for 10Hrs/Day for 22 days each month to 4k people Average
Total Streaming: 220 hours/Month

$7.2 per Hr from Ads
$2.72 per Hr from a sub rate of 200 subs/month (5% of viewership)
$2.27 per Hr from donation rate of $500/month (random amount)

Total: $12.19/Hr streaming to 4k people Avg.
$2,681.80 per month
$670.45 per week

This obviously doesn't take into account YouTube videos & Sponsors.
That's actually what I bring home in net money per month but that's after awesome health insurance, 401k, and stock purchase plan. And 4k average people is probably still the top 0.01% of streamers, if not 0.001% (most game channels don't even have 4k viewers total on average)

Edit: Sweet, can't wait to be disappointed when I get home :p I actually really hope I get in for Friday since I have literally nothing planned right now and this would be great.

Neph_sl

shitlord
The thing about YouTube vids is that they don't make themselves and they take work to get a decent production quality. Personally though, I'll watch a decent YouTuber over their stream as the dead air time is usually edited out

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Streamers make a lot more then you guys think. Sodapoppin on stream said he makes six figures alone just from donations. Lirik has over 10k subs and pulls in at least 3k a month from subs alone. Summit1g bought a Nismo Nissan GTR.

Desirae Lazar on Twitter:

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Kripp must be making bank with about 20K viewers and around 250K views per Youtube video

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Top steamers are making 6 digits, a few rare ones are 7 digits. My math above is still above average for a Joe blow streamer, but the top guys averaging 10k+ viewers are making a decent living for sure

Neph_sl

shitlord
No doubt. And he puts out YouTube vids daily; all of which get 250k views. But he's a part of that .001% of streamers / YouTubers

Needless

Toe Sucker
I betcha summit drives his GTR automatic, fuckin big headed pleblord.

account wasn't flagged with that set of flags either
frown.png

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't aspire to be a streamer with the software development market being what it is currently, and has been for years. If you like games keep them as a hobby - not a job.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Streamers make a lot more then you guys think. Sodapoppin on stream said he makes six figures alone just from donations. Lirik has over 10k subs and pulls in at least 3k a month from subs alone. Summit1g bought a Nismo Nissan GTR.

Desirae Lazar on Twitter:
Lirik makes closer to 35k/month from subs. The amount of cash that kid is rolling in is insane.