Overwatch

Column_sl

shitlord
"You said streamers make too little. But in fact you're an idiot. They make WAY more than that. Because they're being exploited by twitch."

You are truly a fucking moron.
You are stupid as fuck. You said they made almost nothing.

I said they make a lot but deserve a bigger cut, and gave the reasons why that cut should be larger.

Such a clueless little person.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Column is right, the rates twitch is taking are obnoxious. Fuck you guys for making me say that.

Also, this game lets me play as a SJW bluehair? Im fucking sold.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If I was in the beta do you think I'd waste my time arguing with Column?! I'm just here during Heroes of the Storm downtime....

khalid

Unelected Mod
I am so horribly bad at this game. What is the easiest "can't fuck this up even if you are a total noob" hero?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
including yourself earlier listing those ridiculous low numbers.
You talking about my numbers or did Tenks post some figures somewhere that I missed? Assuming you reference mine: they are intentionally low, and I made that clear. Streaming hours are low, subs are low, donations are low. It's still ~30K/year with really low numbers. Streaming to 4k average viewers is really good and if someone milks it for all they can, they SHOULD be able to make 50k+ easily... remember, 4k AVG viewers for ~10+ hours of streaming is probably like 8k unique viewers or more. the subs/donations can easily skyrocket. Avg viewer numbers mainly affects the Ad revenue whereas Unique viewers affects subs/donations.

Regarding the other topic of streamer worth... Organizations have tried other services and eventually they all come back to Twitch. CLG was on Azubu for a while. And none have yet moved to Youtube. Seems like the Twitch deals must be fair enough. Twitch has enormous costs too. They aren't much different then a movie studio that spends more on Advertising than was the entire movie budget. The studios are going to receive a much larger share of the revenue than the producers of the actual film. Doesn't matter that producing a film is 100x harder than calling up all the big advertising agencies, it's just business.

Column_sl

shitlord
Seems like the Twitch deals must be fair enough. Twitch has enormous costs too. They aren't much different then a movie studio that spends more on Advertising than was the entire movie budget
I'll take these two points on exclusively. It has nothing to do with what twitch pays out it has to do with what platform the most viewers are on. Right now that is Twitch. We are still in the stone age of streaming.

A Twitch partner/streamer makes very little of their revenue from Twitch themselves they make money off Donations, Sponsors, and that Sub Button. For that Sub button to work they have to the largest available. audience.

Even tho Twitch pales in comparison compared to Youtube numbers, they are still a juggernaut when it comes to their streaming audience even tho it is actually very small in the big picture. As streaming becomes more popular, and internet prices are more competitively priced at higher speeds we will see an explosion in that audience.

Twitch used to have high fees when they moved off Justin TV and a very small viewership, with very little amount of content. Now not only are they owned by one of the biggest corporations on the planet, but they have an audience that is drastically growing with more content then that audience can support for the moment.

When they came up with the 50% cut they were in the infancy of their website, unfortunately for the streamers they never rethought that policy 4 years later considering even they didn't know how big this was going to grow ,and how fast it happened.

Tenks

The sub button came way after they moved from Justin to Twitch. It was a direct response to streamers making absolutely zero money from ads once they realized twitch/streamers will never survive on a ad-based revenue stream. The subscription model is a symbiotic relationship where both parties understand one cannot survive without the other. You can argue to the high heavens that the talent that streams on twitch is more important than the twitch platform but clearly since no real competition has entered the market I doubt that is true. I'm honestly shocked Twitch doesn't try and curb paypal donations and set up their own style of tip jarring to try and take a cut of that as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
The sub button came way after they moved from Justin to Twitch. It was a direct response to streamers making absolutely zero money from ads once they realized twitch/streamers will never survive on a ad-based revenue stream. The subscription model is a symbiotic relationship where both parties understand one cannot survive without the other. You can argue to the high heavens that the talent that streams on twitch is more important than the twitch platform but clearly since no real competition has entered the market I doubt that is true. I'm honestly shocked Twitch doesn't try and curb paypal donations and set up their own style of tip jarring to try and take a cut of that as well.
Once again wrong. The Sub button has been their for a very long time on Twitch. Turbo subscribers came later which is Twitches own sub button.

And I can prove it with the older streamers who started with Twitch. Their sub buttons allow you to bypass ads, and they are grandfathered in forever.

Streamers for the last 2 years do not have that same sub button.

Also it's easy to make an argument for the talent when you can see guys like Pewdipie making Youtube drastically more money then he could ever got paid in a single year.
Eventually when Twitch gets up to those levels more journalists will make the argument for them as well.

Again Clueless, but I'm here to educate you.

Tenks

Again you're wrong because you were late to the party. Justin.tv turned into Twitch.tv during the time of Starcraft2's WoL beta. I know because I was an active watcher of these streams (people moving from Justin to Twitch) when an "unheard of" day was getting 500 concurrent viewers. According to Wikipedia it officially launched in 2011. Which honestly doesn't feel correct because I was watching WoL beta streams on Twitch and WoL released in 2010. So I was probably watching on a "beta" release of twitch. The earliest I can find any mention of a subscription button dates back to mid-2012. I can't seem to find an official release from Twitch saying it was added. This is all coming from Destiny. At the time he was probably the biggest e-celebrity who was the most transparent about his income and earnings because he was getting a "ridiculous" 1k viewers daily. He was very vocal about how his bottom line was being impacted by ad block. He was very vocal about how the fill rates on Twitch were progressively becoming worse and he also was transparent about what Azubu was promising him for fill rates. Then (again, I can't recall the exact date) he sub button came out and he explained it was a 50/50 cut. Popular streamers at the time (eg; IdrA, LzGamer, Destiny) all acknowledged while the cut seemed high they understood that twitch needed money for hardware and band and the cut seemed fair to them.

But go one with your recent knowledge and your jacking off of 13 year olds saying 'fuck' into the microphone at unheard of rates. I guess since you like to and commiserate with 13 year olds you do consider something being added 3 years ago "very long" ago

Column_sl

shitlord
Paragraphs please, good lord man what is wrong with you. Did you just discover message boards

Justin.tv turned into Twitch.tv during the time of Starcraft2's WoL beta
I've been watching Justin TV for years. It was always a mess, Hell Alan from serious gaming was one of their biggest streamers for taking a shower in chocolate..

People just watched it for all the bootleg shit.

Destiny wasn't even on Twitch btw, after that other streaming site he was on failed he finally came over.

Their huge stars at the start were Toweliee, Pooksie,ManvsGame etc

Also Destiny didn't have a 50/50 cut, he made a deal with twitch from the start, as well as some other really popular streamers at the time that had a full payout on thier sub buttons. It was common knowledge.

But go one with your recent knowledge and your jacking off of 13 year olds saying 'fuck' into the microphone at unheard of rates. I guess since you like to and commiserate with 13 year olds you do consider something being added 3 years ago "very long" ago
And when the baby loses the baby throws a tantrum.

Tenks

Lol this is frustrating. I'm done. Now I understand why everyone else on this forum hates you.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Soldier is pretty straight forward. He's pretty squishy, though.
Thanks, having fun with soldier atm. Helping me ease into all this shit.

Trying to read up on the game a bit, really didn't expect to get into the beta. What is really annoying me atm is so much of the commentary on the game says things like "This feature is like TF2" or "It is unlike TF2 in this way", etc. Having not played TF2, that shit is useless for me.

Tenks

What are you having issues with, specifically? I don't have the beta but I've read up and watched a ton of content for it so I may be able to help you out.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm getting the hang of most of the mechanics and shit now. Just was kind of information overload for a bit, as I haven't really played similar games and was trying to switch between heroes too much.

Really liked it so far, even though none of my friends are in yet. Will be playing it a bunch more this weekend.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Sodapoppin is convinced blizzard black listed him for trash talking wow and intentionally didn't give him an Overwatch beta key.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Again you're wrong because you were late to the party. Justin.tv turned into Twitch.tv during the time of Starcraft2's WoL beta. I know because I was an active watcher of these streams (people moving from Justin to Twitch) when an "unheard of" day was getting 500 concurrent viewers. According to Wikipedia it officially launched in 2011. Which honestly doesn't feel correct because I was watching WoL beta streams on Twitch and WoL released in 2010. So I was probably watching on a "beta" release of twitch. The earliest I can find any mention of a subscription button dates back to mid-2012. I can't seem to find an official release from Twitch saying it was added. This is all coming from Destiny. At the time he was probably the biggest e-celebrity who was the most transparent about his income and earnings because he was getting a "ridiculous" 1k viewers daily. He was very vocal about how his bottom line was being impacted by ad block. He was very vocal about how the fill rates on Twitch were progressively becoming worse and he also was transparent about what Azubu was promising him for fill rates. Then (again, I can't recall the exact date) he sub button came out and he explained it was a 50/50 cut. Popular streamers at the time (eg; IdrA, LzGamer, Destiny) all acknowledged while the cut seemed high they understood that twitch needed money for hardware and band and the cut seemed fair to them.

? One long rambling sentence
rrr_img_114469.png
? Completely incorrect info
rrr_img_114472.png
? Makes himself look like a retard
rrr_img_114473.png
? Must be a Tenks post
rrr_img_114470.png