Overwatch

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah playing a DPS is probably the best way to carry a team at lower ranks.

I also find it funny how some people at the lower rank talk about the meta, and team composition, and which hero is good or bad...when the meta at lower rank is so different than higher rank. Also they compare pro-team with excellent communication and team work, to a group of solo queue players. It's a totally different environment.

I mean for god's sake at 40-50 people have so much trouble dealing with turrets and bastion, and those 2 are essentially non existent in the pro meta. They are very valid pick at the low rank because people have such a hard time with them. Pharaah is not popular right now in the meta, but she's still pretty good at the low rank because people don't have the insane aim that the higher rank people have and can't shoot her down as easily. She's not as strong a pick as she once was but she is very good still at low rank.

It's a totally different game but some people don't get that, and those are generally the people who will bitch the entire game that everyone but them sucks. :)

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I agree that all the people bitching about 'meta' picks are annoying, however some heroes are just weaker than others, especially when you consider how certain heroes perform on certain maps. For example, trollborn on offense with no payload etc. is obviously a 'weak' pick, and so at some point it becomes about where you draw the line. Personally, I think mei is pretty garbage, anas are usually trash, and I feel like most teams (certainly at lower ranks) benefit immensely from having a lucio. Also in my experience, the insta-lock widows and hanzos are usually pretty terrible, so when you see people insta lock in hanzos on koth maps with no large los paths, it can be frustrating. And the hanzos etc. who are like 'but im top deeps! im helping!', you may be top dps plinking arrows into targets/tanks from a distance, but there's more to pushing a point than that, and it may be the case that your body on the point would help a lot more (since a lot of classes can do high dps but actually be present on objectives), or your ultimate synergises more with the team or whatever.

Also, from playing at SR > 60 compared to SR 40-50 games on my friends account, holy shit is it more about babysitting and not getting people to suicide into turrets/bastion before the team gets there. Its a very unenjoyable experience. In fact im hard pushed to say what the best class to carry at that rank on offense is, as mccree you get picks but no-one capitalises on them and you have low longevity because no-one heals you. I think maybe zarya actually since everyone shoots your shield and you can negate a lot of ultimates and peek turrets for energy etc.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think people sometimes forget it's a team game. Sure, you have golds, but are you helping your team win the game? You're flanking, you're getting 2-3 kills before dying, your team should be winning right? Wrong. You still have to work with your team. If your whole team has to constantly go in without you and are fighting 4 or 5v6 because you are doing your own thing your gold medals don't mean anything. You have those numbers because you are the problem. You aren't helping to win the game, you're getting big numbers because you're playing very well 1v6, but it's costing you the game.

Sometimes you just have to step back and realize that while I might be playing well, I'm not helping us win. How can I help my team win the game? Why are we losing? What can I personally change to make a difference?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Zarya is pretty carry mode right now. Just get a Zen to harmony orb you and play aggressive as fuck. Can easily 4 gold it most of the time. Plus with grav trick-shots you can often grab people off ledges and drop them in holes and such and nearly solo-wipe a team if you're lucky.

I used to just Soldier carry dummies too, because he can heal himself. And his ranged damage means that at least you can take down turrets/break Reinhardt's shield. Once DVA/Rein are down just hit Q and stay alive to win the point most of the time.

Mei is the best. Not necessarily the most useful, but the most rewarding to play. She's basically cheap McCree with her right click, but with her ult and a good wall you can fucking annihilate a large group of people. Not to mention with wall and iceblock up you can solo basically any other class in game. We've been running 2+ Mei's in QP for funsies and it's pretty brutal when they all know what they're doing.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
however some heroes are just weaker than others, especially when you consider how certain heroes perform on certain maps. For example, trollborn on offense with no payload etc. is obviously a 'weak' pick, and so at some point it becomes about where you draw the line. Personally, I think mei is pretty garbage, anas are usually trash, and I feel like most teams (certainly at lower ranks) benefit immensely from having a lucio. Also in my experience, the insta-lock widows and hanzos are usually pretty terrible, so when you see people insta lock in hanzos on koth maps with no large los paths, it can be frustrating. And the hanzos etc. who are like 'but im top deeps! im helping!', you may be top dps plinking arrows into targets/tanks from a distance, but there's more to pushing a point than that, and it may be the case that your body on the point would help a lot more (since a lot of classes can do high dps but actually be present on objectives), or your ultimate synergises more with the team or whatever.

See, I highly disagree with this thinking. I know there are times where I do say, yeah but I have all gold as a Hanzo main.. it can be outright triggering, but I won't forget to follow it up if its low or not.. It really says an insane amount about your team. It shows that they're not providing their portion of their role. I'm fucking mind blown when someone says "Yeah because you've been loading it into shields" like the fuck, are you retarded? Are you not trying to shoot the Rein shield.. are you that fucking dense? I mean, obviously target priority is a thing, but there should be absolutely zero reason you're not -idling- shots into any shield, or hitting hogs. I can't tell you how many times I've been called out for cheating because I can build my ult in such short time, never really timed it, but I can send dragons out pretty fucking quick. I can not count the times that i've clocked someone behind a Rein shield because he dropped it to fire strike.

There is also Torb main that is SR80 w/ 100% literal play time on Torb only. I've played against him in the SR70's. I honestly didn't think much of him, but when I really thought about the pressure he provided.. it was actually quite insane. I could pick him off usually, depends on who was in front of me challenging.. but he was doing things that I've never seen torbs do ie, instead of building a turret and trying to build it to t2, he'd leave it tier 1 so the rein would focus it and move to different locations to pop another, rinse repeat all while sinking shots. If he got the opportunity to get a T2 down based off who was dead, it was rather devastating with the build of molten core.

Look at Kephrii, I think i'm 2/5 against him and i've made him switch off widow essentially every time or at least some point in each match, but the guy is now like some odd mid-high SR80's with primary Widow play. He was being looked at by Team Liquid, but was dropped for reasons I haven't followed.

I've played w/ and against high level bastion cheesing, and i'm not talking about coin flip or defending either. I'm talking KoTH and Payload attack, and it working phenomenal.. but i've also seen it fail. Same w/ Symmetra on KoTH, against the double tracer/twinson/lucio comps and soar.. or countering Genji's.

I just find it funny when people scapegoat an off-meta pick, as if it was the reason they lost. I mean it's different when they aren't doing their part, but when i'm averaging 3 kills per death, constant trading, and crucial picks.. gold coins, whatever you want to call it... and i'm the reason we can't get on the point? As a Hanzo main, my full charge arrow does 125 to the body, and 250 headshot. I think at the moment a proper scatter is the highest damaging ability to tanks. Sure I can successfully flashbang a Rein stop w/ McCree, but I have also killed Rein's charging in with scatters. Dick riding meta is just shit mentality for sheep, its scapegoating reasons your team is actually sucking. I yell at my teammate/close friend all the time when he tries to blame a random performing poorly, sure he very might well be.. but we aren't facilitating around it either.. we aren't molding ourselves to try and see if he can do something to help him.. instead of just saying this fucking random soo trash, god so bad.. its annoying. Listening to people say you're not playing 2/2/2.. its annoying. Sometimes to beat 2/2/2, you might have to go 3/1/2, or whatever is needed. The game offers flexibility, yet its only the meta following is the problem you're losing.

Buuuut, I mean thats like 1 out of 10 players on those off meta picks being actually good, or bad. So I can't hate on them getting uneasy.. I don't really play Mei, Bastion, Torb, or anything much else but as Hanzo.. I've land crucial game turning kills.. it's all about how you draft.. and people are resilient to that and can only blame the 'weakest' pick by definition of meta reports rather than performance of other teammates.. esp if they're queued together.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I picked torb to start on kings row defense. Turret on point kills flankers dreams and shotgun at the gate can drop people quick. Wasn't good enough for my team though so I picked zen and got shit on by tracer.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Who is this high level torb you speak of and does he stream?

Thats his twitch, he used to have his climb on there but the videos seem to be gone now. He wins more on offence than defence surprisingly. There was a lot of comments on it over at reddit when it first came about that a torb had made it so far playing only one character.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
You know what sucks the most about that, is that a bunch of idiots are gonna use him to justify playing Torbjom all the time since it worked for him.

The thing is a very skilled player can manage to make any class work in any situation even though they might not be the best choice. The problem is most people do not have that skill level. :)

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You know what sucks the most about that, is that a bunch of idiots are gonna use him to justify playing Torbjom all the time since it worked for him.

The thing is a very skilled player can manage to make any class work in any situation even though they might not be the best choice. The problem is most people do not have that skill level. :)

I don't think that's true, it has to be something with high dps.

gauze

Molten Core Raider

I wouldn't go that far. I think hes relatively unknown outside of the reddit post, and the people who faced him. Like I said he wasn't impressive or anything, but I do think what happens w/ him is that the team realizes they are stuck with him.. so more than half the time they try and build around him. I'm sure he has lost a ton of games to, fuck we have a torb time to not try mentality.

I mean, this is like in any game.. ie CSGO, League of Legends.. ect.. but people mimic the pro's. It's exactly why we see this meta dick hugging that we all know and love. If the Pro's do it, so should we. It's not like they practice cohesion, and focus less on trying to do wild picks. It's like at MSI last year, a Chinese team took Evelyn/Morg into a match against a person like Faker and SKT.. and actually bodied the fuck out of them. It was a wild pick, everyone went crazy.. so for the next month, Eve was FOTM. Some things are staple, capitalize on what is broken and work around it. The whole Discord thing is really strong, and what compliments it really well is hit scan targets.. they can on the fly adjust to targets based off of Discord, faster than those with projectiles.

I've played w/ a handful of Mei's, and even more as of lately. I can't tell if its because of the word of the Buff happening, or if because one of the pro teams enlisted Mei into a match. I do though, enjoy when the enemy team picks Hanzo because I am beating them on any of their picks.. only to beat them on Hanzo v Hanzo. I had one game where a Genji went from Genji, dies from me, goes Widow, gets wrecked 2 or 3 times, then finally goes Hanzo and changes immediately to tracer, to still dying to me to then calling my Hanzo a shit pick and that I should feel bad.

edit4nodlbe

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had a match as Genji right at the beginning of my upswing (gained 8 ranks in a single day) and the other team just trolled the fuck out of me. Kept calling me a downy, retarded, idiot, etc. for picking Genji and my team should feel bad. I shut down the entire team and got a 5-kill with my ult right at the end that was play of the match.

I hate people that act like that but I've never been so satisfied in my performance ever in a videogame as I was in that moment.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting changes coming to Season 2.

Skill Rating going from 1-100 to 1-5000.

7 Tiers, you cannot fall out of a tier except for the top 2.

Sudden Death is dead, there will be ties.

Time Bank system that is on assault maps will be coming to Hybrid and Payload maps.

You won't be able to to play with people with vastly different skill rating.

There's other stuff, but those are the biggest changes...sounds pretty good to me.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I havent played in so long. Im probably gonna give it another go before BF1 drops.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Interesting changes coming to Season 2.

Skill Rating going from 1-100 to 1-5000.

7 Tiers, you cannot fall out of a tier except for the top 2.

Sudden Death is dead, there will be ties.

Time Bank system that is on assault maps will be coming to Hybrid and Payload maps.

You won't be able to to play with people with vastly different skill rating.

There's other stuff, but those are the biggest changes...sounds pretty good to me.

Sounds pretty good to me, only thing is I've always wished they made skill rating 1-1000. That way you get whole number instead of weird fractional moves like they have now, but also because that puts the 50th percentile at rating 500 which makes it easier to understand how you're performing in comparison to the "average" player - but maybe this is what they're trying to obscure so those with sensitive anus get less butt hurt.

One interesting thing is that the percentile he quoted was different than what's listed on Master Overwatch — Leaderboards for Overall on PC (US) . I believe he mentioned rank 60 was top 6%, meanwhile the distribution at masteroverwatch lists it as top 14%.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
One interesting thing is that the percentile he quoted was different than what's listed on Master Overwatch — Leaderboards for Overall on PC (US) . I believe he mentioned rank 60 was top 6%, meanwhile the distribution at masteroverwatch lists it as top 14%.

I think masteroverwatch only use the players whose battletag were submitted. It's not the entire playerbase. Blizzard's quote is probably more accurate since it uses the entire playerbase I would guess.