Overwatch

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not even sure what to do with myself right now. I've started placements on my smurf account and after 2 games I'm playing with diamond players. I tried to play skill classes in one of the matches, but frankly my accuracy etc doesn't hold a candle to these guys.

I've just defaulted into Roadhog, which isn't exactly a toon that I'm amazing with, because I can handle the positioning and land a decent amount of hooks. The organization and cadence that I've seen at this level isn't something I'm used to and I'm not really sure *exactly* what I'm even supposed to be doing at any given time. Hook squishies and not dying has basically been my only strategy, but when should I be using whole hog, and how do I avoid bleeding ults over to the other team?

Needless

Toe Sucker
How is Sombre still so garbage? Cucklan, you designed a cool character on paper but damn is she dog turd tier

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
How is Sombre still so garbage? Cucklan, you designed a cool character on paper but damn is she dog turd tier
she's horrifically bad. If her gun did better damage at range she be alot better, but in order to do damage you need to be really close but she get smoked so easy.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
When does this season end? Think I'm going to sit it out, all 5 of the games I played last night had trolls/leavers, I'd lose 2 then take a break for an hour and think maybe things changed. Nope. Losing cause people dont play is aggrivating, its getting to be a common theme. People dont even have patience for it, say the wrong thing and it's sombra time even before the gates open.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
When does this season end? Think I'm going to sit it out, all 5 of the games I played last night had trolls/leavers, I'd lose 2 then take a break for an hour and think maybe things changed. Nope. Losing cause people dont play is aggrivating, its getting to be a common theme. People dont even have patience for it, say the wrong thing and it's sombra time even before the gates open.
Seasons are like 3 months long and we kinda just started S3, so probably March? Plenty of time to climb.

I'm slowly grinding, at 2700 atm, maybe this Season I'll get Plat. Previously I get to 2900 and tank, did that twice in S2.

Kinda funny, I get very little playtime, most played this Season is Mei at ~14 hrs. Had a teammate go "You only have 14 hours as Mei, can you switch?"

She's my most played character ... "only" 14 hours. Lol.. fucking kids man. 14 hour gaming days was normal for me in college, now I get 14 hours in like a month.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I can't imagine how anyone can be downright terrible with Symmetra, yet here we are. She's the new insta-pick in 9 out of 10 games I play and it's almost always a wasted slot. From bad turret placement making it take forever to build her ult to the wrong ult being played when it is built. Teleporter on control maps? Suuuure, why not!

I'm basically gonna start picking her just so other people can't and that sucks.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Seasons are like 3 months long and we kinda just started S3, so probably March? Plenty of time to climb.

I'm slowly grinding, at 2700 atm, maybe this Season I'll get Plat. Previously I get to 2900 and tank, did that twice in S2.

Kinda funny, I get very little playtime, most played this Season is Mei at ~14 hrs. Had a teammate go "You only have 14 hours as Mei, can you switch?"

She's my most played character ... "only" 14 hours. Lol.. fucking kids man. 14 hour gaming days was normal for me in college, now I get 14 hours in like a month.

Ya I hit 3k on my main account and 2994 on my smurf, but its just not fun. It's like a job, gotta wade through the losses that shouldnt have happened, strive to win the hard matches more than you meet a leaver, which is impossible. And I'm just one dude, I feel like I do pretty well as soldier I take out the pharah I try to flank kill the healers, rape reinhardt when he overextends/charges, but in my experience when the team realizes you're carrying they just change to counter you then no win.

Yeah 14 hours lol, I wouldnt listen to them, just say its your smurf account. Just need people to recognize to switch, switch fast, when they arent doing well on a class.

And yeah symmetra, I still think you need 2 healers but some reason people think symmetra = healer slot so we end up with one healer instead of two. Shes a flanker, not a healer.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I can't imagine how anyone can be downright terrible with Symmetra, yet here we are. She's the new insta-pick in 9 out of 10 games I play and it's almost always a wasted slot. From bad turret placement making it take forever to build her ult to the wrong ult being played when it is built. Teleporter on control maps? Suuuure, why not!

I'm basically gonna start picking her just so other people can't and that sucks.
Yeah, turret placement and using her alt fire. I spam the shit out of alt fire, usually smaller charges so they're faster but will mix them as as well to try and keep them a little more unpredictable.

Dashivax

N00b
I've just defaulted into Roadhog, which isn't exactly a toon that I'm amazing with, because I can handle the positioning and land a decent amount of hooks. The organization and cadence that I've seen at this level isn't something I'm used to and I'm not really sure *exactly* what I'm even supposed to be doing at any given time. Hook squishies and not dying has basically been my only strategy, but when should I be using whole hog, and how do I avoid bleeding ults over to the other team?

Couple tips. Sit behind your rein at all times and pick anyone who isn't covered. If you are facing an enemy rein keep blasting his shield with right click. Roadhog chews through shields faster than anyone and keeping pressure on their rein should be your top priority, helps your other dps get picks when their rein has to back off to recharge. Every time their rein drops shield to fire strike be ready immediately to hook someone. A lot of times a soldier or roadhog will be sitting behind that shield thinking they are safe so just be ready for it and react fast.

For his ult the best way to use it is for counter intiation, due to the huge pushback effect. The biggest difference between rating brackets is ult management. A lot of players will use their ult as soon as it's up, for most heroes that is wrong. If there is 90 seconds left on the clock and you use your ult to finish off 3 players you are just screwed when they come in for a last push and blow all their ults in unison. Just be patient and use hole hog at the best possible time keep the enemy team at bay, especially in the last few moments of a push or a defense. His ult does not coordinate well with teammates at all, except for zarya. Instead you use it to stop a push when the enemy team starts popping their ults.

Can't really avoid feeding the enemy team ults as roadhog, especially soldiers and tracers. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just focus on hooking through dropped shields. Hooking flankers harassing your healers. Hooking dps that are casting their ults. And be next to your team's frontline tank at all times to support them.

Oh yeah and if your healers aren't awful be sure to let them heal you so they get ult instead of healing yourself first. Their ults are a lot more important. Roadhog can charge his slowly and use it once or twice a match at super critical times and instantly win a game in overtime due to that pushback. Nothing wrong at all with saving your ult the whole game until it's really needed.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I'm no roadhog master, but yeah pick em from behind rein shield and have team finish em. Also learned youre supposedly supposed to right click, hook, left click, melee. Here I thought the hook was enough to kill most people (sometimes it is) but lot of times they get away and I'm like wut. So yeah.. right click, hook, left click, melee. The hooks are good momentum, my ideal setup is soldier, ana, zen, rein, road, pharah. Hide behind shield, hook them in, murder them, move forward repeat.

Dashivax

N00b
That's only really needed if they have more than 200 hp. Otherwise you are fine with hook, left click, melee. Once PTR changes go live it will be more consistent placement of the person in front of you after a hook so even the 250 hp heroes will die reliably with the normal combo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'm not even sure what to do with myself right now. I've started placements on my smurf account and after 2 games I'm playing with diamond players. I tried to play skill classes in one of the matches, but frankly my accuracy etc doesn't hold a candle to these guys.

Unless you're deadset on hog, everything i'm bout to say prob won't matter.

But try Rein. He seems to be the easiest, and most in demand. When a Rein is on the board, it basically requires the other team to need a Rein too; otherwise tons of free hammer downs and the obv lack of protection for the rest of your team. Most of my friends who've made it to GM+ have been Rein/Road mains or have swap to, because it really is that easy. You aren't so focused as a DPS having to execute intently, but rather more the freedom to be opportunistic. I say Rein purely out of my experience though, as he doesn't exactly require a huge skill curve, but more of an observational awareness, and a good ol game of chicken. The real struggle as a Rein player is not having that team behind you, as you said you're confident in positioning and such; it'll come with the job in knowing your teams movement.. the hope is the obvious communication that you're team is providing, but often times its always good to take lead as a Rein and make calls, but not required.

About 8/10 games I play, there is always a request for a Rein, but never an instant lock Rein. He seems pretty one dimensional at times, but he really is the chess player of the game.. The frustration comes from the support requirement of people behind you.

As far as answering your question of whole hoggin. I usually exclusively reserve my ult for three things, a meat grinder(grav/hog), making space, or counter ulting. When you're trying to work a choke, or a choke is working against you, it's always good to just hit that whole hog and blast em back.. it'll give space to you and your teammates to get through or prevent that choke from collapsing. As far as counter ulting, if say a graviton goes off, you can pop it to get a rein back, or you hear an ana ult, or if you've some how managed to not get hammered down blasting em backwards. I rarely look at it for execution purposes unless its me in a room with some people who need to get a taste of the whole hog; but thats honestly a rare moment.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I've been playing Rein as well. Problem is moreso that I can follow the positioning set by a good Rein, but knowing where to position the team effectively at any given time in Rein is more challenging.

Cybsled

More PTR changes

-Ana nade duration from 5s to 4s
-Sombra hack CD from 12s to 8s
-Hog hook tweaked so it is harder for fast characters to break LOS (they get slowed by hook). Also made it so narrow objects like traffic signs dont break LOs

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I've been playing Rein as well. Problem is moreso that I can follow the positioning set by a good Rein, but knowing where to position the team effectively at any given time in Rein is more challenging.

I mean ultimately that's the benefit of Rein, is you hold majority of the deciding factor. Busting out the you died because you ran in front of the rein shield is usually a sound argument.

I think the hardest choice to make as a rein is when to commit and when to not. Most everything after that is kinda in the rein clutch plays.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Rein is the game changer in most of my games. If you have a solid Rein, committed to his job, and times those pins just right, it can be game deciding.

I've also noticed that 76 has a Pharah counter can really become of the x factor in a game. If you neutralized a decent Pharah, then you really have the advantage.

Mei still seems to be a game changer as well, especially in some of the Defense matches i've seen. She's so annoying but I love being on a team with a good Mei.

They really need to do something Hanzo though. I love the character/concept but he just seems useless most of the time. It's like being short a player.