Overwatch

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wish they'd just make placements one game like it is in Starcraft. People have this false sense that placements are a soft reset and you get to prove to everyone you're actually a GM+ level player by going 7-3. When in reality you were just playing against often times worse players than you normally play against. You never played against Master level players in the placement. You don't deserve to have your SR skyrocket because the season ended and you feel you deserve a higher rank. You are what your league icon says you are.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I wish they'd just make placements one game like it is in Starcraft. People have this false sense that placements are a soft reset and you get to prove to everyone you're actually a GM+ level player by going 7-3. When in reality you were just playing against often times worse players than you normally play against. You never played against Master level players in the placement. You don't deserve to have your SR skyrocket because the season ended and you feel you deserve a higher rank. You are what your league icon says you are.

I think we can all agree people get placed fairly accurately, no matter how much people think otherwise. So really the issue is how to make competitive more engaging/fun.

For the most part, only way to do it is add more carrots. Carrots can be additional rewards, additional breakpoints, or a combination.
Again, looking at the League of Legends system, I actually think that would suit OW even more perfectly than LoL.

In particular, the "League" system in LoL is pretty pointless in LoL, but in OW it could be awesome. The 3 month refresh is desirable for it, especially if there are rewards attached for placing 1st in your league.

For those in the dark, LoL puts people in artificial "leagues" of ~100 players. Nobody ever looks at their league or cares about the standings because there are no rewards and people are just trying to rank higher, and since LoL seasons last an entire year, everyone is hoping to advance.

In OW the 3 month reset means you can keep people in their "placed" league, and depending on their finish, maybe next season they join a league 1 tier higher, or lower. Reward loot boxes for placing high in your league, etc.

2nd thing LoL does is breakdown the divisions into 5 tiers. ie: gold I, II, III, IV, V. Gives people more feeling of achievement when progressing.
Might be less desirable to have this in OW though since games are so much faster you'd end up bouncing through several tiers every play session. Only way it works is if it was more of a grind to advance/fall.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You can't make it that fun for the average player. By definition, with ratings systems the more accurate they get the less variation in skill you get from opponents. No regular person plays CS to go 1:1 k/d with similarly skilled pros, they play it for moments like gunning down 5 Ts with a Benelli and winning a match. OW tried to avoid that by adding "big moment" ults but that's basically the entire game at that point.

You can either have fun or fair, you can't have both if you are appealing to your average gamer. There are always bigger fish, but that's how you grow as players. Constantly grinding +1s is boring as fuck. I'd rather lose constantly in CS 1.6 getting a few good plays as fuck you rounds if that means I can join another server an hour later and be running 58:3 k/d because in crushing Christian gaming servers. OW is too forced and bleh. Ratings systems need to die except at tournaments.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
^

This is a major inherent problem with a game where the enjoyment comes from beating other players. When I was in college I was the only one on our local Quake server that had a dedicated video card (Voodoo Graphix FTW). Everyone else had some pos box and probably ran 15 FPS. I would regularly hit the frag limit with 0 deaths. I'm pretty sure I was the only one having fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Isn't that basically the same mentality towards what's fun and what isn't that hackers have, just slightly less so? A lot of them just enjoy the feeling of stomping all over people. I can see it being fun once in a while if you're really in the zone and just zen-sniping people in PUBG or whatever but doing it all the time on purpose seems boring. These games are competitive, that's the whole point of a team-based, objective-based game.

In my opinion, if you can't enjoy a game whether you win or lose, you should not play that game - your time would be much better spent elsewhere for your own sake. If you only enjoy something for half or slightly more than half the time you spend on it, that's not something you actually like. Hell I enjoy my job about that much and I'd still rather do something more enjoyable. There's never been a better time to be a gamer with the stupidly large amount of great games available everywhere, it's dumb to waste half your free time like that.

Captain Suave

I think the level of toxicity in basically any competitive game shows that people in general want to win more than they want a close match.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If they really wanted to win they'd learn how to win more, since being toxic statistically causes you to win less :p people being toxic is just people getting caught up in internet culture and such. Some games have very little of it but obviously a lot of games have a lot.

Captain Suave

If there's one thing life has taught me so far, it's that people wanting something has absolutely nothing to do with whether their approach to the problem is a good one or not.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah...most people in competitive want to "win" the same way everyone wants to lose weight and get in shape, i.e. only if they can do it without actually putting in any real effort or work. Do people want to win? Sure. Do they want to make sacrifices and make an effort to not be a toxic asshole or even play a character that might help win the game instead of picking a fourth dps, etc? Fuck no. Overwatch is a great game, but the people you're forced to group with can ruin all that fun pretty quickly.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Do i want to win in competitive? Hell yeah
Am i willing to play Mercy/Rein? Hell no

Solution: remove reign and mercy. replace with fun characters 2:^)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Isn't that basically the same mentality towards what's fun and what isn't that hackers have, just slightly less so? A lot of them just enjoy the feeling of stomping all over people. I can see it being fun once in a while if you're really in the zone and just zen-sniping people in PUBG or whatever but doing it all the time on purpose seems boring. These games are competitive, that's the whole point of a team-based, objective-based game.

In my opinion, if you can't enjoy a game whether you win or lose, you should not play that game - your time would be much better spent elsewhere for your own sake. If you only enjoy something for half or slightly more than half the time you spend on it, that's not something you actually like. Hell I enjoy my job about that much and I'd still rather do something more enjoyable. There's never been a better time to be a gamer with the stupidly large amount of great games available everywhere, it's dumb to waste half your free time like that.

No, it's not. Most players enjoy being able to outplay opponents within the fixed set of rules. The people who want to "cheat for lulz" are entirely a separate at.

That's a complete non sequitur.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Just bring back the ability to actually block people so you don't get put in groups with them anymore, and I am pretty sure it would solve most problems.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Playing for fun in a game with automatic matchmaking where you run into most people exactly once is pretty difficult, it certainly makes the game easier to just pickup and play, but ye olde dedicated servers had a bit more longevity. Overwatch is trying to please everybody with quickplay and competitive, but it's not really working. Arcade is almost irrelevant in the grand scheme. The game really requires a lot of coordination, voice comms and possibly full groups to enjoy. They could try to push stacks more instead of soloq, with some kind of lineup and strategy builder, but I don't think that was ever really successful in MOBAs, but it could really help building some kind of community instead of this random toxic mess.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I think they should reward better good performance in defeat. Usually when I lose a match and I perform well I usually lose 10-15 SR. I don't really feel angry after those defeat. I understand how hellish it would be to balance this.

Yesterday 2 guys disconnected from my team. Third guy told us it was because of thunderstorm. In the end I was alone and the other team tried to give me the Lucio achievement and we failed even after 3 try. I finished the match with 5 gold medal. Funny thing is that I didn't lost any rank points in that defeat. 3 time 5-6 man boop... we didn't understood why it failed.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I was able to get ride of my rank anxiety this season on my main account Main account was low plat and alt account is high plat. Usually when I hit a all time high I stopped playing. I usually played 10-15 matches per season.

My main accoount sit a bit lower now in mid gold and I don't care. ( move between 2150 and 2450) I played 160 comp matches this season and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I noticed that if I go lower than I should be I will gain a ton more SR when I win. When I hit low gold I climb super fast. (15 per lose and up to 45 per win.) Sometime 1-2 win offset a very bad night.

I lose more in the week end and late at night.

The most frustrating thing is people leaving or disconnecting. It happen a lot more in low gold than 2400+++ I can recall last time I had a quiter in my alt high plat account.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Did you make sure you were wall riding the boop? I don't think it works if you're just standing still and booping.