Overwatch

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Had a game maybe 2-3 nights ago where a guy on my team single handily won the game and thought he was hacking. Went and looked at his season history, he was never lower than ~4300 and one season he showed as Top 500. Somehow he placed 1500? He picked Soldier on Gibraltar and I think I was Sym, I literally didn't do a thing and they couldn't push the pay load anywhere. I guess my point is in extreme cases such as this you can in fact Steamroll this game.

Funny thing was that while he was amazing on Soldier his Top 500 season had nothing but Mercy/Lucio to get there.....
hmm, ok, at 1500 I think even I could single handidly carry games, before Ranked was even in the game I remember tearing up noobs with Soldier, it's different when you are playing games against SIMILARLY skilled opponents. There is no steamroll mechanic outside death timers, which opponent can avoid by not trickling... as opposed to MOBAs which have item/stat inflation to create an actual "carry" whom can legitimately 1v5 in extreme cases.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759172361?page=5#post-93

I just wanted to chime in and make sure that everyone knows that we’re currently digging into the reports, investigating this ban, and thinking about how this type of situation affects specialized players and their teammates.

We take both sides of the issue very seriously. We believe that players should be able to choose their favorite heroes, but playing as a team (which includes building an effective team composition) is a core part of the Overwatch experience. It’s a delicate balance, and we’re still working on getting it right (and probably always will be).

If you’ve been playing Blizzard games for a while, you’ve probably heard us use the phrase “Play nice; play fair.” It’s like a mantra around the Blizzard campus, and it’s a big part of the way that we approach situations like this. People tend to focus on the “playing fair” part, but they forget about “playing nice.” Sometimes that means switching off at your teammates' request, and sometimes that means working around your teammate’s specialization.

Either way, Overwatch is more fun when everyone is playing nice.

Thank you for your patience as we investigate this situation, and thank you for your passion/enthusiasm about Overwatch.

That wasn't from Jeff, but a community manager. It's the first time Blizz has said yeah you can one trick, but if you are fucking over your team you need to switch.

Opinion: I think players like Fuey deserve the ban • r/Competitiveoverwatch

Some people in this reddit thread report when he gets his shit pushed in he won't switch off which where the reports are coming from.

Edit: This guy has been exposed: even more One Tricking Isn't Bannable but doing this as a one trick is • r/Overwatch

Well this one trick banning discussion started with a post by XUL here I'm a one trick that just got banned from Overwatch for playing a hero. • r/Overwatch.

He claims that the only reason he got banned was for one tricking torb. Me and my friends played with him and got steamrolled on the payload map since they were heavily countering torb.

My friend Activates picked torb on attack to see what XUL would play after we asked him kindly to swap to ANYTHING else as we were flexible on our picks.

XUL responded by saying he's just gonna afk then. Rather than picking another character and playing the game he decided he would just sit in base without picking a hero. He kept timing out and back in so he wouldn't get banned from competitive afterwards.

From his actions in this clip shown if another torb main was on the team and picked it first he would've went afk in the base and just lost the game for the team since he was unwilling to pick anything else. This is the problem with some of these one-tricks, it's not the one tricking itself, its the player. XUL got banned for griefing or delibrate inactivity.

PROOF:

Last edited:

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Tournament has been really fun.

Very touching moment when the caster read out Hulk's family's statement who were watching the stream.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Wow - the official forums are in a frenzy over the Torb one-trick being banned.
As a fellow one-tricker (with Sym), I can empathize with him.

I've been silenced/banned before too because of the automated reporting system followed up by GMs who are inconsistent with how the policies (even those stated in game) should be enforced. That being said, you kind of take your lumps and move on, I guess. Still pretty shitty, though.0

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Why is it shitty? You signed up to play a team based game which is centered around dynamic hero selections and counters. By refusing to swap in situations where symmetra is hard countered you are literally throwing the game for your team mates, which goes against their policies and creates a shitty environment for team games.

Even when we were 12 years old doing any competitive team game we were able to follow the rules , stated or unstated

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You have to be a seriously autistic retard to "one trick". Go fucking play quick play if youre gonna let your extra chromosome dictate how you play a team based video game.

Half the characters do the work for you. Hell Mercy is literally just like symmetra but with 1000x more mobility and heals instead of damages.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
First of all, fuckers, there are varying degrees of one tricking.

The first, is when someone absolutely refuses to play a different character and would rather go inactive/leave the game than "ruin" their clean profile as a one trick. These folks are arguably too inflexible.

The second, is someone who specializes in a particular character such as my playing Sym. Do I switch occasionally? Sure.
Do I switch when asked at the start of a game, no - because fuck you. If we "need" a healer, tank, or different DPS so badly that you feel the need to be triggered about me playing Sym - maybe YOU should consider changing your pick. Again, because fuck you.

I know what I'm doing and she's a well rounded enough hero to contribute in many circumstances.
Also, the "rules" specifically state playing a hero the community finds unpopular to NOT be reportable.

Last edited:
  • 5Picard
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 5 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
in comp i play Zenyatta about 95 percent of the time, mostly because people hate healers and love to have a Zen on their team. I dot NOT play Zenyatta outside of Comp. I know how to play others and if someone locks in Zen, i have other characters i can play, but i feel i can do most work with Zen.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I don't think nevergone "gets it".

I get that the guy was penalized inconsistent with Blizzard's stated policies.
I also get that most people are too stupid to understand the concept of specializing in a particular hero.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
First of all, fuckers, there are varying degrees of one tricking.

The first, is when someone absolutely refuses to play a different character and would rather go inactive/leave the game than "ruin" their clean profile as a one trick. These folks are arguably too inflexible.

The second, is someone who specializes in a particular character such as my playing Sym. Do I switch occasionally? Sure.
Do I switch when asked at the start of a game, no - because fuck you. If we "need" a healer, tank, or different DPS so badly that you feel the need to be triggered about me playing Sym - maybe YOU should consider changing your pick. Again, because fuck you.

I know what I'm doing and she's a well rounded enough hero to contribute in many circumstances.
Also, the "rules" specifically state playing a hero the community finds unpopular to NOT be reportable.

You're the type of player that makes playing this game unbearable at times.

• 2SJW
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I get that the guy was penalized inconsistent with Blizzard's stated policies.
I also get that most people are too stupid to understand the concept of specializing in a particular hero.

They didn't punish him because he only played Torb. They punished him because when he didn't get Torb, he AFK'd in the base and threw the game, showing his intent was to be a dick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
They didn't punish him because he only played Torb. They punished him because when he didn't get Torb, he AFK'd in the base and threw the game, showing his intent was to be a dick.

You're conflating two different instances.
One person did get banned just for playing Torb (Fuey). The other person (Xul) did as you described and deserves his ban.