Overwatch

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hey guys let's make an emotional story based fps for kids with deep hero lore to make people love their favorite hero sooooo much they never want to stop playing them! Oh, and then ban them if they refuse to switch!

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gotta love the justification of exclusively playing a character that is less effective at helping a team win compared to other more well-rounded heroes because “fuck you, that’s why.” I wonder where all this one trick hate comes from.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
No - that's not the justification.
Some people are better with heroes that aren't meta, it's really that simple. They exist.
I, for one, hope they never go away because they make the game more interesting and complex.

Some of them are also beyond the point of explaining themselves to flaming toxic people and aren't going to take the time to argue about it or trying to debate whether they're contributing productively to the team or not. Since using any of the communication channels for any reason can be reported and upheld as abusive chat, resulting in account silences and bans, many have learned you need to opt out of all communication methods in order to keep your account in good standing.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: if you're going to play off-meta, be silent and don't do anything that could be interpreted as griefing.
Otherwise, there will be a ban in your future because the report functionality in this game is prone to abuse.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
You're conflating two different instances.
One person did get banned just for playing Torb (Fuey). The other person (Xul) did as you described and deserves his ban.

They explained though about Fuey that he wasn't banned for being a one-trick but for poor teamwork.

At the end of the day, this is a team based game, and everyone is expected to work together to put a good team comp to try and counter the other team. One-trick by definition rarely do so, and that's poor teamwork which why he was banned.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ex-genj

Golden Squire
its not that one tricks per say are bad its one tricks with niche heroes who are utterly useless on half or more of the maps are. But HF lobbing balls with sym at the choke on attack hanamura and then thinking you're not the problem when you lose.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ultimately, it comes down to this: if you're going to play off-meta, be silent and don't do anything that could be interpreted as griefing.
Otherwise, there will be a ban in your future because the report functionality in this game is prone to abuse.

Hysterical bullshit

• 1Salty

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think one-tricking would be heavily discouraged if performance based SR calculation was just done away with. If you have a sub 50% winrate one tricking an off-meta hero you'll still climb because the system will still think you're a godlike symettra just because no one else player her. Discourage people from one-tricking by not incentivizing it. There is a reason there are so many onetrick Torb and Sym at high ranks because it is a simple grind at that point pretty much to climb. You aren't actually getting better you're just climbing.

skribble

I think one-tricking would be heavily discouraged if performance based SR calculation was just done away with. If you have a sub 50% winrate one tricking an off-meta hero you'll still climb because the system will still think you're a godlike symettra just because no one else player her. Discourage people from one-tricking by not incentivizing it. There is a reason there are so many onetrick Torb and Sym at high ranks because it is a simple grind at that point pretty much to climb. You aren't actually getting better you're just climbing.

I've heard this a lot, but is this actually true?

When characters have been changed by blizzard (e.g.zen and lately mercy) their SR has absolutely been inflated whilst the system has evened out.

But in the case of one tricks, if barely anyone else plays them, isnt the distribution of skill actually much tighter? I would also expect blizzard to adjust for this in their calcs.

I personally feel that people on one tricks are just better because they play the same character all the time not because of janky lowrate off picks.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The most common onetrick is/was Mercy. The reason she was a popular one trick is because the character required no mechanical skill. She was the most popular one trick at all levels. However to actually inflate your SR gains you pretty much just had to go go for the most # of rezs in a game. This meant never tempo ressing instead you just had to always go for the "Huge Rez!" even if it meant just rezzing your team into certain death. As long as you were rezzing more than the average Mercy (and of course healing) you'd raise in ranks.

Now lets go back to Symettra. Another popular one trick probably for similar reasons. Most players will play Symettra on optimal areas. Like Hollywood A defense. These players have far, far fewer hours into the hero so naturally her damage numbers will be much lower than a Symettra one-trick of similar rank. However this Symettra one trick will play her on less-than-optimal situations but still manage to outpace the person who ocassionally plays her on optimal points. Is this one trick "technically" better at Symettra than her counterparts? Yeah, for sure. Is this one trick actually helping their team win playing her into suboptimal compositions and maps? Nope. But the system will still think "Well you did really well compared to other symettras so this loss wasn't your fault."

skribble

The most common onetrick is/was Mercy. The reason she was a popular one trick is because the character required no mechanical skill. She was the most popular one trick at all levels. However to actually inflate your SR gains you pretty much just had to go go for the most # of rezs in a game. This meant never tempo ressing instead you just had to always go for the "Huge Rez!" even if it meant just rezzing your team into certain death. As long as you were rezzing more than the average Mercy (and of course healing) you'd raise in ranks.

Now lets go back to Symettra. Another popular one trick probably for similar reasons. Most players will play Symettra on optimal areas. Like Hollywood A defense. These players have far, far fewer hours into the hero so naturally her damage numbers will be much lower than a Symettra one-trick of similar rank. However this Symettra one trick will play her on less-than-optimal situations but still manage to outpace the person who ocassionally plays her on optimal points. Is this one trick "technically" better at Symettra than her counterparts? Yeah, for sure. Is this one trick actually helping their team win playing her into suboptimal compositions and maps? Nope. But the system will still think "Well you did really well compared to other symettras so this loss wasn't your fault."

Your first part doesn't have anything to do with one tricking an off meta pick. The SR inflation came whilst the system adjusted to Mercys new rez and healing output. I personally feel this system needs improved, but whatever, its only for a few days.

Your second part makes a lot of assumptions. When the one trick plays symmetra in suboptimal areas or gets counter picked, does he actually do well? I'd wager he gets steamrolled and the SR gains reflect this. You're also not taking into account the strength of the one trick, symmetra is a very very strong pick on a lot of maps, so generally on the maps she's a good pick she'll win the majority of time, then she only needs to win occasionally on the other maps to climb.

I feel like the OW community is like pseudoscience a lot of the time. People just 'feel things' or go off what their friend said about some Mercy being highly rated with a negative winrate that one time. Hey guys I heard putting candles in your ears removes ear wax and it totally worked for my sister in law's brother

Master Overwatch — Leaderboards for Symmetra on PC (Global)

Its a bad time to look since it's the start of the season but there's only one symm one trick leaping out at me, zakar with 47.6% winrate. And oh look he's actually dropped 200 SR to reflect this and his winrate is evening out as he is winning again.

Fancy that. Superstitious fucks

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Whatever measure they are using it has little to do with any real value towards winning that I can see. I can't blame people for trying to guess.

It's not KD ratio that's for sure. Maybe it is a mix of the various x stat over 10 minutes stuff they've been showing with the new spectator client during pro matches.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
The idea that Sym is sub-optimal as a support on maps like Hollywood or Hanamura A is a fallacy.

She can get her ultimate with one or two well placed orbs which she can then use to add 75 health to her team or she can run through the choke when her team makes their first push to set up a back cap teleport. Add style points for then proceeding to set up turrets along the enemy return path to catch them as they trickle back or jump into the fray from a flank to take out supports and immobile targets.

The "rules" of when a hero is an acceptable pick have been established by the players and are usually incorrect. You can try to rationalize your opinions on one tricks by saying they're gaming the system with SR gains, but that's simply not true when you look at their win rates and other stats.

People seem to have an overwhelming desire to place blame on others rather than examining what they could have done differently. This sometimes applies to one tricks too, rather than reflecting on why they didn't do as well as they should have, they are just as prone to blaming others and thinking their choices and mechanical execution didn't impact the result of the match.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The idea that Sym is sub-optimal as a support on maps like Hollywood or Hanamura A is a fallacy.

She can get her ultimate with one or two well placed orbs which she can then use to add 75 health to her team or she can run through the choke when her team makes their first push to set up a back cap teleport. Add style points for then proceeding to set up turrets along the enemy return path to catch them as they trickle back or jump into the fray from a flank to take out supports and immobile targets.

The "rules" of when a hero is an acceptable pick have been established by the players and are usually incorrect. You can try to rationalize your opinions on one tricks by saying they're gaming the system with SR gains, but that's simply not true when you look at their win rates and other stats.

People seem to have an overwhelming desire to place blame on others rather than examining what they could have done differently. This sometimes applies to one tricks too, rather than reflecting on why they didn't do as well as they should have, they are just as prone to blaming others and thinking their choices and mechanical execution didn't impact the result of the match.

I don't care how you want to justify it, Symmetra isn't a viable one-trick hero.

She's good in niche scenarios, and I do play her in those few cases, but you'll never win the argument that she's actually a valuable hero in all other scenarios.

Obviously defense capture points is her forte. Battle Symm on offense is more for "lulz", trolling, or because the enemy team is garbage and you can easily microwave them.

Am I going to care much if I see a one-trick symm? Nah. The trolling in this game is epic. one-tricks are in almost every game. And even if not one-trick, there are still trolls that will pick the sub-optimal heroes anyways. Just need to play around it and move on. Both teams have to deal with it, so whatever.

Just had a Torb & Symmetra on Gibralter as offense this weekend, we stalled after 1st cap point. We held other team to the choke before 2nd cap. If the Torb/Symm went practically ANYONE else, we probably win that.

Whatever though, just lose and move on.

I don't think it's correct to disallow one-tricking at all, so Im not going to get all fired up over a Torb/Symm whatever, or even a Hanzo/Widow.. I love the Rein/Mercy one-tricks. Personally, I take the advice I've had since LoL and use the "main 2-3 hero" philosophy. Right now I'm in a Reaper/Junkrat/Mei mode.

Junkrat is pretty OP right now, in basically every match on both teams. I like Reaper for tank busting. And Mei is my girl, self heal, stall, control. In a solo world she can control the flow of battle and doesn't tax healers too much.

I do think maining 2-3 characters is the "correct" approach. Unless you're somehow godly at everything you play, which is absolutely rare as fuck and would mean you're rating is probably 4k+. The 2-3 character approach gives just a bit of flexibility while keeping a high skill level on your play. It's the #1 tip on advancing in LoL and I firmly believe it applies here.

skribble

Yeah exactly. The game has literally been designed to have counters and to encourage fluid hero picks and flexibility, yet its gotten to the point that the company itself has to step in because the autism is so strong that people still insist on playing terrible choices. Its like deciding to buy a game of rock / paper / scissors and picking rock into paper all the time because HURR DURR I LIKE ROCKS. Except, no, its not like that because you're actually ruining the game experience of five other players, not just your own. You decided to play a TEAM game which encourages TEAM work which has DYNAMIC hero choices and counters, yet insist on playing the same hero over and over again.

Fuck you

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Yeah exactly. The game has literally been designed to have counters and to encourage fluid hero picks and flexibility, yet its gotten to the point that the company itself has to step in because the autism is so strong that people still insist on playing terrible choices. Its like deciding to buy a game of rock / paper / scissors and picking rock into paper all the time because HURR DURR I LIKE ROCKS. Except, no, its not like that because you're actually ruining the game experience of five other players, not just your own. You decided to play a TEAM game which encourages TEAM work which has DYNAMIC hero choices and counters, yet insist on playing the same hero over and over again.

Fuck you

No, fuck you.

You literally lack knowledge about the game.

There are characters that are better suited for dealing with certain circumstances such as turrets, tank busting, shields, and low/high mobility. That being said, the developers have said on numerous occasions they didn't design "hard counters" the same way they didn't design carry heroes.

You may find yourself in a situation where you have to play differently as a result of the enemy team running heroes that have abilities which pose greater or different levels of difficult for your character, but that doesn't mean you're being "hard countered", despite popular opinion. You can change your hero OR you can change the way you approach the circumstances.

I lost count long ago how many Pharahs and Winstons I've dominated with Sym. It's not always an ideal situation and it's not like I'm some anti-Pharah/Winston powerhouse, but it's certainly possible if you play smart and don't tilt immediately upon seeing those heros on the enemy team.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Does the tranny's bouncy ball take out symm turrets? If so, rip symmetra forever

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Does the tranny's bouncy ball take out symm turrets? If so, rip symmetra forever

Not the last time I played her, neither did it attack Torb's turret.

I read somewhere that's not intended behavior, and it is supposed to damage turrets.

Cybsled

Attack Sym has uses if enemy team is turtling on a narrow single entry choke (ie, Hannamura gate). If they are doing some Orisa+Rein barrier stacking bullshit and don't have a DVA, good way to punish the backline with rclick bombs. You setup your turrets to warn against DPS trying to do flank attacks.

skribble

No, fuck you.

You literally lack knowledge about the game.

There are characters that are better suited for dealing with certain circumstances such as turrets, tank busting, shields, and low/high mobility. That being said, the developers have said on numerous occasions they didn't design "hard counters" the same way they didn't design carry heroes.

You may find yourself in a situation where you have to play differently as a result of the enemy team running heroes that have abilities which pose greater or different levels of difficult for your character, but that doesn't mean you're being "hard countered", despite popular opinion. You can change your hero OR you can change the way you approach the circumstances.

I lost count long ago how many Pharahs and Winstons I've dominated with Sym. It's not always an ideal situation and it's not like I'm some anti-Pharah/Winston powerhouse, but it's certainly possible if you play smart and don't tilt immediately upon seeing those heros on the enemy team.

For a start , I said counters not hard counters.

You play a character that literally cannot reach the enemy pharah

'Dominated'

'Lack knowledge on game'

Ok

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>

Haven't tested that yet. Will be interesting if they do.
For a start , I said counters not hard counters.

You play a character that literally cannot reach the enemy pharah

'Dominated'

'Lack knowledge on game'

Ok

Again, you do not know how to play Sym if Pharah poses a threat you can't overcome. Place your turrets high and watch where she prefers to land. When she's on the ground, nuke her with an orb + left click. Problem solved.