Overwatch

xzi

Mouthbreather
I agree this game needs an actual scoreboard like every other game.

"But we don't want people to be toxic"

Instead they make the most toxic comp game anyways because even if the Mei is doing the most work out of every single player you ever played with, they're still a Mei therefor they're pieces of shit who are throwing the game and should kill themselves.

At least that's my experience picking Mei.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
"But we don't want people to be toxic"

I actually like a good mei player in comp. Her self healing takes stress off of healers and her wall can be immensely useful for attacking or defending. I dont understand the Mei hate from people.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I actually like a good mei player in comp. Her self healing takes stress off of healers and her wall can be immensely useful for attacking or defending. I dont understand the Mei hate from people.

I love playing as Mei or having a good one on my team...that being said I hate playing against her, she's so fucking annoying, and I think that's why a lot of people hate Mei. They hate playing against her come to just hate her...even if she is on their side.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't understand the hate either, but people have always been upset if you don't play the exact meta so it doesn't surprise me much. Granted, I haven't played in 3 seasons (outside like.. a handful of games) but I'm sure not much has changed.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I guess one of my main gripes with this game is the rate that hero's and maps are released. I understand that creating and balancing a new player kit to the game is a process that needs work even after the character is released, however the rate at which maps are being released is far too slow for me. This ties in with my next gripe.

So many player events. I have realized that Blizzard is the Dean Pelton of video game companies. They both want everyone to be nice to each other and are constantly having events to show off cosmetic apparel. All of that time being put into skins and fixing bugs for them, could have been used to make some new levels. I would really appreciate it if the next maps had more environmental dangers and moving parts (like junker town's spinning platform near the last cart destination.)

xzi

Mouthbreather
Aside from maybe a handful of props, most of the people making skins will have nothing to do at all with bugfixes or map building.

I think OW would benefit immensely from releasing mapping tools but I still highly doubt we will ever see them, sadly. :/

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I love playing as Mei or having a good one on my team...that being said I hate playing against her, she's so fucking annoying, and I think that's why a lot of people hate Mei. They hate playing against her come to just hate her...even if she is on their side.

MEI AND HER FUCKING "CHING CHONG CHING" *THROWS ULT FREEZE BOMB*

FUCK YOU

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
The reason the game is so toxic and not that much fun is that elo systems are inherently unenjoyable and I would argue unsuitable for team-based fps shooters. No matter how good you are, eventually you will stall and end up having to grind out those 52% win rates to see any progress, and whether this is you grinding gold to get into platinum or silver to get into gold, it just doesn't feel that great. Add this onto the fact your games are largely dependent on your stupid team mates performing their roles, communicating, picking stronger heroes and also taking into account map strengths/counter picks and then realising how dumb and uncooperative the majority of the population are, and you just have a recipe for extreme toxicity.

I feel like elo systems are a lot like the dungeon finder in wow (tangent incoming). Once implemented, you can't really go back to the way things were as people are used to the high levels of convenience and aren't prepared to accept less in what seems to be at least on the surface a modern advancement. But I would argue strongly that the dungeon finder whilst being more convenient is not necessarily better for a social game and for forging new friendships and enhancing your gameplay experience. Its certainly better for treating worlds as a waiting room while you queue up for the dungeon but overall I feel like the experience is worsened overall for having them in. Of course you can't go back because they're expected and its what people have become accustomed to, but at the same time its no wonder that dungeon runs have become a shallow shell of people not talking trying to rush through it as quickly as possible. Again, it was a chore to organise a group, deal with leavers, get everyone to the fucking entrance and start the thing, but on the whole I think that this lead to a better 'social' experience or whatever BECAUSE of the effort it took, and if people stood out you would want to add them to your friends/guild precisely because it was so fucking annoying. Friendships formed in mutual adversity and all that.

Imo ELO/comp queue systems are the same. Whilst they offer a very quick, accessible to all 'competitive' experience with no real forethought or organisation required, I think that the overall experience is just much worse than when people ran divisions and organised clan matches together etc. While more people can certainly play the game with competitive solo elo queue, overall I think the experience itself is just much worse because of this.

But at the same time, Im fully aware people aren't going to want to organise clan matches/have divisions/etc etc. and they just wanna queue up now and have the illusion of a competitive game that ranks them, when actually its generally far from it. And nothing blizzard will do, from banning people, to having scoreboards, to clamping down on smurfs (though I think a lot of the smurfing issue is that people genuinely get bored grinding out really small winrates and its just more fun to pubstomp at lower rating) will stop the toxicity because its just gonna exist in elo systems such as in OW.

I do think its an absolute joke that any game considering an esports scene let alone one that has league teams etc doesn't have a scoreboard, what a fucking shitshow

Cybsled

Medals already distract people from the actual objective: Winning the map. A scoreboard would make things already worse than the derps that go "I have 4 golds!" when your team is getting shit on.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Might need to pick up widow. I always play hit scan but widow just feels diff than mcree

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
2ff.jpg

• 2Smuggly
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I haven't played this game in a few months but man does it feel worse than ever. I know I am out of practice but holy shit are the game always awful in an effort to promote their trashy 50/50 win rate every game feels like a one sided stomp. You get shit on a few game with pure failure faggots. Then you win a couple of games because your side gets stacked. Between the smurfs and other shit I kind of hope someone goes postal on the faggots who made this matchmaker.

I am not very good at the game but I just wanna play with others who are around the same skill level but a bunch of scumbag American Inventor faggots gaming the system because they blow to much fucking ass to compete at their own.

Plus they need to fucking remove mercy from this fucking game.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I hadn't played this for a few weeks after just getting fed up with smurf bullshit. \

Decided to pop on for about a dozen games and see how it went. My account is level 600+ but I kept getting into games with a level 20 or lower genji or tracer that would one sided stop the entire team for the whole game. Any game with normal people was a good time win or lose, but more than half of the games were ruined by these throw away smurf account bullshit.

EASY FUCKING SMURF FIX INC!

Give me a goddamn slider and allow me to set a minimum account level threshold for my quick play games. I'd set that fucker so nobody under level 100 will get matched into my games. There you go, the entire smurf account plague fixed in one simple fix.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Honestly I think they should enforce some absurd rule like you have to prestige at least once before you can even queue for matchmaking. I know it's bullshit gatekeeping and reddit will whine but I don't see there being any other fix. Valve hasn't figured out the smurfing issue and they've been doing this for a significantly longer time than blizard has when it comes to matchmaking. They've slowed it down a tiny bit but it can't be stopped. Best option is to make it inconvenient to everybody IMO

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yikes... you want people to play bots for the first 100 levels?

Play ranked lol

edit:

A slider suggestion means you isolate legitimate new players into getting ass fisted by some bored GM player, which in term have 0 fun with the game, which is bad for the game overall

It also completely destroys party queueing

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly I think they should enforce some absurd rule like you have to prestige at least once before you can even queue for matchmaking. I know it's bullshit gatekeeping and reddit will whine but I don't see there being any other fix. Valve hasn't figured out the smurfing issue and they've been doing this for a significantly longer time than blizard has when it comes to matchmaking. They've slowed it down a tiny bit but it can't be stopped. Best option is to make it inconvenient to everybody IMO

Don't some of the MOBA's make it so you have to have a certain a number of hours on a certain number of heroes? I think even HOTS has something like this. I think even Paladins has something like this. I feel Overwatch, which requires you as a player to be flexible, needs to have something like this to be able to enter Competitive. Knowing one hero and being able to queue for Comp is ridiculous. It goes against the entire spirit of the game. I could see in MOBAs where you play the same hero the entire match you can get away with only knowing one hero, but in Overwatch for whatever reason this is ok by the development team.

• 1Like