Overwatch

Xevy

Log Wizard
They nerfed it. I had jump bound to my mousewheel on Lucio and there wasn't anyone who could hit me. I'd play Lucio on payload attack and just collect gold medals. Outside a McCree stun or a Rein swinging away I was just untouchable. I actually learned the key to Lucio months ago, and I'll enlighten people.

Be yellow. Always. Except running from spawn. Yellow. Banana Town. Don't fucking speed boost dude, ever. Don't. It's a trick. Just BE yellow.

Also wall riding is completely situational and I rarely do it unless to get to a perch or dodge a melee swinging from below. You don't need to be on the fucking ceiling of every room to be a good Lucio. Just stay near your team and boop roadhog when he hooks and Rein when he charges. And land those dope ass quad headshots on stupid static DPS people.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They nerfed it. I had jump bound to my mousewheel on Lucio and there wasn't anyone who could hit me. I'd play Lucio on payload attack and just collect gold medals. Outside a McCree stun or a Rein swinging away I was just untouchable. I actually learned the key to Lucio months ago, and I'll enlighten people.

Be yellow. Always. Except running from spawn. Yellow. Banana Town. Don't fucking speed boost dude, ever. Don't. It's a trick. Just BE yellow.

Also wall riding is completely situational and I rarely do it unless to get to a perch or dodge a melee swinging from below. You don't need to be on the fucking ceiling of every room to be a good Lucio. Just stay near your team and boop roadhog when he hooks and Rein when he charges. And land those dope ass quad headshots on stupid static DPS people.

Speed boosting is amazing in the right situation. Getting somebody out of a bad situation or pushing an advantage. I'm constantly switching from speed and yellow. But yea when you are deathballing and holding a point always yellow. Also wall riding for traveling the map and also knocking people off high ground areas is amazing. Not to mention coming from unexpected angles for boops off the map.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
The reason one trick mercy's work is because they are consistent. I fill a lot, so my gameplay on soldier will vary from one game to another, an ultimately that probably hurts me more then one tricks, no matter how low impact they are.

Except when Mercy had the team rez. Then she was probably the most impactful hero in the game.

I've been practicing my Lucio and I'm happy to say that I can actually wall jump around like a mad man. I usually only go him on maps I can boop people off because other then that he isn't as impactful as say a Moira or Ana at my ELO. He is amazing at booping people out of position as well, which depending on your team mates can be huge. I really regret missing out on the super Lucio patch where his wall ride and bunny hop was god mode. Does any know if you can even bunny hop still? I know they reduced it to 2 hops at one point, but it feels like they took it out completely or I'm just not scrolling hard enough on my jump button.

I'm curious as to why you think Lucio isn't good at your ELO? I think across all ELO that Lucio/Zen are the best supports. I think Ana is in a really bad place right now and Lucio is better in pretty much all situations.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because in lower ELO like gold/plat they don't focus supports so a well placed anti grenade can do work. Lucio doesn't have the single healing throughput of ana, also an ana ult works really well on reins at this level.

Of course any map where Lucio can boop somebody off he's going to be more impact.

Also Ana can deal with Pharmacy's much better which run rampant at lower ELOs

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
How does the game perform in E-sport guys, i mean do you think Blizzard should keep inject massive amount of money and effort in it, or just "let it happen alone" ? Is the scene really "competitive" right now?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think a e-sport can only do as good as its playerbase. Luckily Overwatch has that. I think they are on the right track by incorporating the esport into the client, but they need to go farther. Maybe allow people to opt in for sick clips and analysis of past games to get people in the swing of things.

Comparing Apples to Oranges, I don't think it's as good of an informed spectator sport as MOBAs, nor is it as good an uniformed spectator sport as fighting games. I also feel that their observation mode needs a bit of improvement. Maybe fight recaps, with damage done and other cool stats sort of like how DOTA2 does it. The meta is a bit stale too which leads to less of a dynamic game, which is pretty important in a game like this.

All in all though its on the right track to being very good. But right now I think it's lacking in grabbing the attention of casuals and even a lot of the more hardcore crowd. Of course I have no idea what their numbers are. They could be killing it. This is just from my perspective.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
It doesn't work particularly well as an e-sport imo. Im really into the game, and I find it hard to watch teams that I am not invested in because the game just isn't that exciting to watch. Sometimes its even a bit of a slog to watch the teams I do like. I don't like the poke/poke/poke/everyone uses their ultimates and see what happens way that a lot of the fights go. I don't like that picks from widow early/one quick dive onto backline/someone dying to random aoe shit means the push is over and we sit around waiting for resets. I don't like that a lot of the heroes require little mechanical skill and to distinguish them it becomes more about really small min/max (this is personal preference maybe people like this style of play). There is a lot of visual clutter/things happen very quickly at the same time, its almost impossible to tell whats happening a lot of the time, I don't think its particularly spectator friendly in this regard.

Its quite hard for a viewer to judge just how well their team is doing, and I feel it can lead to a lack of investment. For example even if you get wiped really fast on 2CP, your team can turn around and do the exact same thing. What I mean by this is that its very hard to get a feel for how exactly your team is performing overall. In soccer, your team can be 2-0 up, of course the other team can come back but I feel like the flow of feedback when this happens leads to much more investment because you can see mostly how its happening, why its happening, and its like a story being told. In overwatch, if Dallas take the first 2CPS really quickly (lol), I actually have no idea how they're doing. It feels like they did good, but then the other team takes the point even faster, and its just like "oh...". Then the same thing happens from both sides for another two rounds. It doesn't make for particularly compelling viewing. I also think that on capture maps the team that takes the point first has too big of an advantage due to that even if it gets turned, the stall means that usually this happens at 80% and the team who took it first can just now retake it with full ultimates.

Im pretty sure OW was designed from the ground up to be casual and they started pushing e-sports fairly late in the development cycle. I think that they are doing a lot of things right : the OWL is a good idea and its great to have teams in a league where winning requires a team to compete over a season which rewards teamwork and consistency. But ultimately, I don't think it is best suited for e-sports unfortunately, and I find myself tuning into the drama more than the actual sport side of things

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm whoring myself for Legendary completion on both (wasn't playing when Uprising was live last year). I geev heal long time if none of you want to do it.

Totally up for that Felz#1543. We did uprising on the second hardest mode today and it was hilarious as i never play torborn and bound my keyboard so i can't switch his weapons lol. I just ran around hammering everything. I feel like playing it with all heroes is virtually cheating... Junk for instance just annihilates everything and his concussion mines ensure the bombs never get near anything.

Anyone interested in me streaming a climb from low bronze to diamond or whatever, using mercy only?

Not exceptional gameplay or anything because im still trash, but might be interesting to see how one of the lowest impact heroes fares at carrying out of elo hell?

Im 100% into trying this with you/watching you do it

SO far I've improved 300 points past few days on my crap account. since fixing my router issues. .But Honestly i don't think it can be done with Mercy solo (over a reasonable amount of time), if your DPS/Tanks are much worse then the opponents your going to lose regardless how good you are. One thing I've learned is some maps/comps do amazing with Moira, but crap with Mercy and vice-versa. Lucio and Moira are arguably the two best :carry: support heroes unless your a pro zen with elite aim.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As someone who would like to watch more OWL but quickly becomes bored, give me this:

• The ability to watch from any player's perspective, or hell, from any perspective possible (not sure if possible due to what kind of technical limitations we might have, but maybe some set "cameras" we can switch to)
  • All player stats, being updated in realtime. Let me sort, filter, slice and dice those stats any way I want.
  • Funny guest commentators. Give me Moonmoon as a commentator.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm curious as to why you think Lucio isn't good at your ELO? I think across all ELO that Lucio/Zen are the best supports. I think Ana is in a really bad place right now and Lucio is better in pretty much all situations.

I think the problem is Lucio/Zen is a very sketchy main healer type support at almost all ELO's but especially low ones as espescially Zen requires strong skill/coordination.. Lucio's lack of a true targeted strong heal severly limits him at most elo's and basically makes it impossible to solo support as him. (aside from Amp is up with it's 12 sec cooldown and only increases healing a tiny bit. )

Maybe even as much/more so then Zen he can be totally amazing with high level players, playing alongside a strong Moiria/Mercy/Ana

However... I had a game yesterday i was in a 2 stack with me as Moira, and my friend as D.va as the only Tank/Healer for both games... We easily won both... Sure maybe it was a player skill imbalance? Hard to see that working at high elo...But I can't imagine Lucio being able to replace Moiria in that situation as I had to constantly use Massive healing bursts , mostly on DVAon Dva for her to do her D.VA thang. Not to mention at our skill level Moira is a scary offensive hero on her own.

Later on we did the same thing but with a Roadhog and Lucio also..Now all these Matches were king of the hill (whatever they are called) And Lucio made it massively easier for us. Partly because his Speed boosts is insane and the healing song also heals a lot of boo-boos that would otherwise cause moira to waste tons of healing juice/orbs. One of my Friends is an amazing Lucio and he is so fucking hard to get off a point it's scary... He Even does Damage around that of Moria... Or even more...

It doesn't work particularly well as an e-sport imo. Im really into the game, and I find it hard to watch teams that I am not invested in because the game just isn't that exciting to watch. Sometimes its even a bit of a slog to watch the teams I do like. I don't like the poke/poke/poke/everyone uses their ultimates and see what happens way that a lot of the fights go. I don't like that picks from widow early/one quick dive onto backline/someone dying to random aoe shit means the push is over and we sit around waiting for resets. I don't like that a lot of the heroes require little mechanical skill and to distinguish them it becomes more about really small min/max (this is personal preference maybe people like this style of play). There is a lot of visual clutter/things happen very quickly at the same time, its almost impossible to tell whats happening a lot of the time, I don't think its particularly spectator friendly in this regard.

Its quite hard for a viewer to judge just how well their team is doing, and I feel it can lead to a lack of investment. For example even if you get wiped really fast on 2CP, your team can turn around and do the exact same thing. What I mean by this is that its very hard to get a feel for how exactly your team is performing overall. In soccer, your team can be 2-0 up, of course the other team can come back but I feel like the flow of feedback when this happens leads to much more investment because you can see mostly how its happening, why its happening, and its like a story being told. In overwatch, if Dallas take the first 2CPS really quickly (lol), I actually have no idea how they're doing. It feels like they did good, but then the other team takes the point even faster, and its just like "oh...". Then the same thing happens from both sides for another two rounds. It doesn't make for particularly compelling viewing. I also think that on capture maps the team that takes the point first has too big of an advantage due to that even if it gets turned, the stall means that usually this happens at 80% and the team who took it first can just now retake it with full ultimates.

Im pretty sure OW was designed from the ground up to be casual and they started pushing e-sports fairly late in the development cycle. I think that they are doing a lot of things right : the OWL is a good idea and its great to have teams in a league where winning requires a team to compete over a season which rewards teamwork and consistency. But ultimately, I don't think it is best suited for e-sports unfortunately, and I find myself tuning into the drama more than the actual sport side of things

This is sorta how i feel. I've tried watching but sometimes it's hard for me to tell whats happening, While;e at other ties i'll notice the announcers are freaking out over a play while the guy they are gushing over just lost half his teammates and the fight. Also it's very frustrating how the camera sticks with the same chars over and over it seems. (granted i've watched like 5-6 matches)

There needs to be a way to watch the whole game at once and understand whats going on. Like skribble skribble says To me it looks like tons of poking around, hoping for the odd pick, while waiting for Ults to build and trying to use them to win key fights.. What I find Frustrating is this is filtering down into all levels of comp play....

Now... Like in Basketball I i can easily watch the cutters, defensive switches, and have more appreciation. For the players as they can actually do things not limited by game code. For Example the LeBreon, or Messi, OR Tom Brady, of E-sports will never really exist imo. The fact that players peak at such an early age is another issue also.. Interestingly OW is very much like most p sports i watch, you are trying to create mismatches, gain good positioning, The problem is with OWL i just can't see it the way i can with traditional sports.

IDK I think E-sports will eventually find the right formula but OW i don't think is going to be the big breakout game as it's just not designed that way.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
slowly getting better at this game, I know I am not good enough for DPS so sticking to tank/healer and doing a good job, my win ratio as Rehinhart is 70% some people moan and say I am to aggresive on him but I think it works hate when I am playing Moria/Lucio/Mercy and Rehin or Orisa tank are just standing there with a shield not moving forward.

I was in Bronze for a while now steady in silver and should be gold soon enough. I know some games it don't matter what you do, you are going to lose due to a troll or leaver but for the most part if I lose a game I know why and understand what I did wrong but some many people just refuse to expect they done anything wrong and blame everyone else. Had some Mercy going crasy in comms about how crap everyone was and I outhealed him as Lucio on a open map with people spread out. I pointed it out to him and he had every excuse under the sun, just admit your level learn and get better don't blame everyone else

• 1Like

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
slowly getting better at this game, I know I am not good enough for DPS so sticking to tank/healer and doing a good job, my win ratio as Rehinhart is 70% some people moan and say I am to aggresive on him but I think it works hate when I am playing Moria/Lucio/Mercy and Rehin or Orisa tank are just standing there with a shield not moving forward.

I was in Bronze for a while now steady in silver and should be gold soon enough. I know some games it don't matter what you do, you are going to lose due to a troll or leaver but for the most part if I lose a game I know why and understand what I did wrong but some many people just refuse to expect they done anything wrong and blame everyone else. Had some Mercy going crasy in comms about how crap everyone was and I outhealed him as Lucio on a open map with people spread out. I pointed it out to him and he had every excuse under the sun, just admit your level learn and get better don't blame everyone else

70% winrate on reinhardt is crazy good, he's one of the hardest heroes to straight up carry on in the lower ranks, so thats amazing

You're 100% right not to listen to anything anyone says. Rein's need to be aggressive and its one of the biggest difference I notice in low/high ranks is that people won't commit to anything and treat orissa shield like its a fucking mei wall which is unpentetrable. JUST WALK FORWARD. Of course its a thin line with rein, going too deep and you are straight up just feeding. If you're 70% winrate though over substantial games Id say you're doing it right.

I actually got my own playstyle/lightbulb moment from when a popular streamer was talking about HOTS, if any of you have tried that game. Was complaining about this ranged hero called Li Ming, and how every low ranked Li Ming in his games would end up on high assists/high damage and zero deaths, but how they were absolutely useless because they never committed to anything and the poke damage just gets healed up and fights never get taken/won. And I see that a lot in LOL/HOTS and now OW. People just constantly backpeddling, never committing and happy to see high damage numbers even if they lose. But those numbers don't win games. Maybe it stems from everyone having been raged at for feeding at some point in their moba career, so people play too cautiously.

• 1Like

ex-genj

Golden Squire
eh rein is my best hero with 68% w/r this season & ~8 hours played and I don't think he's all that hard to play well, just pick him on the right spots (payload attack, cp), be aggro but only if your team is right with you, charge lines should be short, don't be a dumbass with ult & enemy shields.

Of course he doesn't require (much) aim and I'm old and often drunk..

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider

IMO, Thats a good thing to learn, sounds like you are really on the right path.. If you want add me sometime!

Learning to ignore the toxic and whiners, I got "banned" from a group the other day (we had recently gone 5-1 in games before this) Simply bc i guess the leader expected me to play Support in every game and not "announcing i was playing Tank(Orisa)(my best win % hero at 70% , ). NVM we badly needed a shield tank, it's sort of hard to not see a fucking orisa, and we won the damn game anyways... Some people are just toxic and you learn to not play with them. Honestly he tried to ban me for some retarded reason earlier in the day, and i think in retrospect was just feeling somehow threatened by me perhaps?

Also TO add to what Skribbles wrote this guy who lead our team was obsessed with medals and even created a system for who could play what based on them.. the result was yo had guys poking around, rarely engaging ect... Unfortunately the "Skill based SR" actually seems to encourage this somewhat as in some games when i play Moira i lose like 9 points because i get like 3-4 golds and 5 medals. Despite not feeling like i had a very good game. I just wound up with great stats mostly bc the rest of the team was awful. On other game's i'll play fucking amazing as Mercy, but because i died 9-10 times as every single ult in the game targets me I only get 25-30 points per win or lose nearly 25 per loss.

SEMI OT:

Has anyone else noticed how many Women play this game? Oddly they seem to gravitate towards me, and i have no idea why. I even play alot with a Black female professional Writer. IN a way it's nice..... As except the Black Girl who is pretty assertive and acts.... well... Manly in a way? ( she says she likes me in part as i try to callout/position/ect on comms and "Your a leader" according to her). All of the others are well... different then men, in the way they tend to play/talk on comms,. Def less toxic overall, but it's also funny talking to them and them telling me the next day they tell me they actually left the group as another girl was being a bitch. Yet me being a man i am almost always totally oblivious to these things they got so worked up over. Oddly enough Girls tend to talk on comms more then men i would imagine. They also love to play DVa, Supports i've noticed. The Black girl is different she likes Lucio/Orisa, but will flex anything.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m enjoying OWL. It requires a lot of viewing and familiarity with the game to be able to follow what’s happening, and mostly require your full attention, it’s not something you put in the background.

There’s a lot of room for improvement though. In term of presentation, they need to provide more options to viewers, multiple camera angle, ability to follow a single player etc. Definitly more stats available during the game. I want the fucking overhead view they have with player tokens to see where they on 100% of the time. I just love that view.

In term of gameplay, there are a few things they can easily improve upon...stop with the limited map selection for an entire stage...seriously fuck that shit. It gets so boring seeing the same maps ever night for a month. I want to see King's Row every night, or every other night in rotation...not every month for a full month.

The rest is not easily fixable and will be an issue long term in my opinion. Ridiculously stale meta, great hero imbalance leading us to see maybe 10 heroes regularly while the other 16 are not played, or just once in a while. Makes for a really boring viewing experience, every fucking game on every fucking plays out the same way.

Not for the bad, the general pacing is not great. As someone mentioned it’s basically, poke, poke, poke till you have ults then a big push with constant resets from offensive team if they lose someone to an early pick. This is amplified in games with Widowmaker...it’s amazing to see the skill these kids display on Widowmaker but she makes for the worst viewing experience bar none. It’s a constant waiting game for a Widow to get a pick before anything happens, withteams hiding until it does.

These last point are game fundamentals so I’m not sure it will ever be fixed, or if it can...but it will hurt the game long term as an esports.

Still I enjoy it, but mostly just watching Gladiators now with maybe 1 or 2 game outside of that compared to 2-3 games a night. This drop in interest in my part is mostly due to the limited map pool, and stale meta...you watch one game, you’ve seen them all.

Needless

Toe Sucker
There’s a lot of room for improvement though. In term of presentation, they need to provide more options to viewers, multiple camera angle, ability to follow a single player etc. Definitly more stats available during the game. I want the fucking overhead view they have with player tokens to see where they on 100% of the time. I just love that view.

but you can get that with the all access pass for the low low price of $29 US dollary doos!! (19 with twitch prime)

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Poke, poke, poke, ult —> win the fight or reset is what skilled overwatch looks like. All the camera angles in the world aren’t going to change that. You guys are looking for Hail Mary plays when what you are going to normally get are a bunch of short runs and maybe a 10-20 yard pass on third down if you’re lucky. Pros play like pros, not like the feeders and heroes most of us encounter in our day to day matches.

Overwatch is interesting in that individual plays happen quickly, but the pace of the overall game - the waxing and waning of points being taken or being defended - is much slower (relatively). You can’t know how a game will necessarily end after seeing one team cap a point in less than a minute, for example.

Last edited:

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
When mercy had the rez that was insta cast + her ult reset rez and made it insta cast and cool down reduction so you could net 4 rezzes if everything was perfect... THAT is when she could carry. Season 6... I carried my friends (and myself) from ~2200 to 3k, gold to diamond. If she had rez she could easily win any team fight, like zarya's ult but way more guaranteed, by how fast she was with her guardian angel and the fact that rez was insta. It was wayyyy better than the mass rez Q because you were always hidden and never healing.

She would win the team fight by just pumping rezzes and zerging (your teammates didn't have to be good.) She can still win a team fight by her ult, but it's really just a shittier zen ult that lasts 3x as long yet much more situational, and your teammates have to be better.

Anyways to the people who say shes boring or lack a higher skill, I'd disagree because of the 1 buff they made when they nerfed her after Season 6.

Her spacebar ability as you are flying with guardian angel has crazy mechanics if your target is above you on the Z axis and very close to you at the time of spacebar. It slingshots you forward based on the angle of your target, which pretty much launches yourself straight into the air. Flying off the map edges when your elevation is the same or using a teammate on a higher ground are the easiest ways. You can even use it on targets that are the same level as you by exploiting geometry on the map (props like barrels, fork lifts, boxes.)

I think she has a higher skill cap then what most people would say.