Overwatch

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Jesus, it looks almost exactly like TF2.
This is probably the biggest misconception Overwatch has. The gameplay is really nothing like TF2s. The game shares similarities in aesthetic design (ie: graphic style, classes with personality), but the gameplay flow of the game is entirely dissimilar from TF2. Everything from TTK, to movement, to the wide variation in class abilities make the game feel almost nothing like TF2 in actual practice.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
yeah after watching the stream I'd say the aesthetic design is very much in line with TF2 but the gameplay looks more Quake World / Q3. Like obviously it isn't going to be pure oldschool FPS but it looked very twitch and fast with tons of movement and quick abilities, etc... Was actually kind of fun looking and improved my take on it.

Ryoz

<Donor>
This is probably the biggest misconception Overwatch has. The gameplay is really nothing like TF2s. The game shares similarities in aesthetic design (ie: graphic style, classes with personality), but the gameplay flow of the game is entirely dissimilar from TF2. Everything from TTK, to movement, to the wide variation in class abilities make the game feel almost nothing like TF2 in actual practice.
You also have to consider that there was teamwide coordination which is likely to not be the case in a everyday gameplay. Most people will be solo queuing.

I've played a lot of TF2, and I don't see a huge variance. I mean, the objectives in both games are identical. Constant movement is something that happens in both games, kill times seemed similar, skill use and character handling I can't really assess without getting in the game. Still looks like loads of fun don't get me wrong; there's a reason I don't play TF2 anymore and why I've moved more towards Mobas. I'm missing that depth in a character/hero that I wasn't getting with TF2.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I assume ZP has first hand experience with Overwatch where you're just arguing from a 2hour long stream

Tenks

Yeah I assume the first wave will be similar to the first wave HotS alpha where it was mostly personalities and a couple thousand lucky participants

Ryoz

<Donor>
I assume ZP has first hand experience with Overwatch where you're just arguing from a 2hour long stream
Not claiming to know everything about the game, but some aspects are apparent from the stream. I look forward to being wrong
smile.png

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was it said somewhere this will get to consoles as well? Am rarely in favor a console fps but this seems to be the rare exceptions, with the power ups and special abilities, seems to be suited fine for a couch shooter.

Tenks

They've done the usual Blizzard speak about a console release. Doing their "Yeah that would be cool if it was on consoles" PR line. So far it is only announced for PC.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You'd think it would make a killing on consoles. I'm surprised that it's not something they're seriously considering. Then again, are F2P based games successful on the console market?

Tenks

You'd think it would make a killing on consoles. I'm surprised that it's not something they're seriously considering. Then again, are F2P based games successful on the console market?
They haven't said it is F2P. Last I heard it will be like CSGO where it will have a lower box price ($30 or so) with in-game cosmetic buys. The full roster should be available, however.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
It would be surprising if it's not on consoles, considering the popularity of console FPS these days. Gameplay seems tailor made for it as well.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the game supports game pads, so consoles should be in eventually. Wouldn't be surprised if they treated it like Diablo 3 and did PC first for balance/bug patching and then consoles later on.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Is that what happened to D3? Do the consoles not get all of the changes like greater rifts and seasons, etc?