Overwatch

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I had a fair bit of fun playing this over the stress test weekend and I could see myself playing it but does anyone else feel like $60 for Team Fortress 2 Blizzard Edition is asking too much? I know Blizzard can just shit in a box and get paid but I am not seeing it.

purGe

Molten Core Raider
So I had a fair bit of fun playing this over the stress test weekend and I could see myself playing it but does anyone else feel like $60 for Team Fortress 2 Blizzard Edition is asking too much? I know Blizzard can just shit in a box and get paid but I am not seeing it.
It's actually only $40 for the standard version, $60 is for the extra skins.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And if it wasn't. I base my cost analysis on hours having fun vs money spent. At $60 , I usually look for a good 50 hours + minimum out of it, which is quite easy these days. I probably spent 50 hours alone during that weekend playing, was having a blast. I can easily see over 100 hours on Overwatch(which is normal for me for any game with multiplayer) and for 60 bucks, that is a steal imo when it comes to hours/cost for a hobby/entertainment.

Probably why I don't play a lot of single player games at $60 price, unless they are the open ended type that can give me a lot of hours(fallout 4, skyrim etc) or multiple avenues within the same overall story(ME).

Needless

Toe Sucker
Torb can instant level 3 his turret now... a patch they just put out changed him quite a bit but theres no notes yet.
Dude just got even more annoying

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Another beta wave allegedly going out as well. Don't worry boys I'm still not in.

Tenks

Torb can instant level 3 his turret now... a patch they just put out changed him quite a bit but theres no notes yet.
Dude just got even more annoying
Apparently there were two patches back to back and only for a short time Torb could level3 out of the gate. It now costs the same.

Needless

Toe Sucker
They completely reverted the changes, must have been a big oopsie.

They did say they wouldn't be changing him until early next year so it makes sense

Sulrn

Deuces
I only periodically check on this, but can you clarify some things for me.

This is closer to TF2 than a FP-MOBA, right? You have access to all skills outside of CD timers? No ind/shared experience? No Skill/Item progression?

Tenks

Correct it is closer to TF2 than it is to League. There is no skill builds, no item builds, no experience. You are equally as strong at the end of the game as you are at the start of it.

xzi

Mouthbreather
It's not a moba at all. Instead of having secondary weapons, you have skills.

Also I'm super salty because my b.net "started an update for Overwatch" and I'm still not in beta

Sulrn

Deuces
Makes me think that the guys who did the Superheroes / WC3/FT mods for CS 1.6 were ahead of their time.

Where are you quality, competitive skill/trait progression shooter?
frown.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They completely reverted the changes, must have been a big oopsie.

They did say they wouldn't be changing him until early next year so it makes sense
They might have pushed an internal/alpha patch to beta, happens every now and then.

And the concept is definitely not new. I remember playing Global Agenda a fairly long time ago and it had a ton of similarities. It had progression and items and shit, but it was like out of game stuff, basically loadouts similar to Battlefield/CoD, just you had talent trees and items giving you skills and then cooldowns for your shit in combat, was a pretty fun game really. And yeah I'm sure people made mods back in the days to have this sort of stuff. There is however a large push for it lately. A lot of those games will fail terribly though, some already did(Nosgoth for example is pretty much dead while it still hasn't been officially released I think, it has good stuff but just not enough marketting and content I think). Hell they might all fail, don't know if there's an actual market for this for long term stuff.

Sulrn

Deuces
They might have pushed an internal/alpha patch to beta, happens every now and then.

And the concept is definitely not new. I remember playing Global Agenda a fairly long time ago and it had a ton of similarities. It had progression and items and shit, but it was like out of game stuff, basically loadouts similar to Battlefield/CoD, just you had talent trees and items giving you skills and then cooldowns for your shit in combat, was a pretty fun game really. And yeah I'm sure people made mods back in the days to have this sort of stuff. There is however a large push for it lately. A lot of those games will fail terribly though, some already did(Nosgoth for example is pretty much dead while it still hasn't been officially released I think, it has good stuff but just not enough marketting and content I think). Hell they might all fail, don't know if there's an actual market for this for long term stuff.
I don't know about ultra long term, but I think CS/Battlefield/CoD/TF2 have shown how addictively fun a shooter can be on the premise of every match is different because of the skills gaps involved when finding the right balance of killing/mission based matches.

The MOBA Skill/trait mentality is just an evolution of the concept by adding one or multiple more layer(s) of variability.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pretty long break though, but I guess they had no plans for more content for a while so might as well turn off the servers and save some money, they have all the feedback they need pretty much at this point.

I hadn't played these past few days, been playing some shit I bought in steam sale, so not gonna miss it too much, looking forward to the reopening though. Kinda hoping they reconsider the whole 21heroes thing, I think the game could really use another support.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Its probably because half the staff will be in/out of the office for the holidays and they don't feel like supporting a beta
Entirely okay with me lol
Hopefully it'll give those who are staying time to think of some balancing