Overwatch

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seagull also has the luxury of being the best player in almost every game he plays. At more middling MMR where everyone is more or less equally good/bad having an inferior hero can really be a detriment. I forget who said it but Symettra plays out like a "win harder" hero. If your team is rolling and snowballing sure she seems godly but chances are in games like that you could have played almost any hero and gotten similar results. I don't gripe when people pick her (though I feel she is extraordinarily niche and personally only play her Numbani A) but I'd almost always prefer any other flex hero.

I dunno if you actually watch his stream or not, but he's not the highest ranked player in a match any more often than anyone else. No hero is some golden-win in any comp but it's proof that Symmetra can be used effectively in the right SITUATION at even high level play. Frankly anything can work < 3000

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I dunno if you actually watch his stream or not, but he's not the highest ranked player in a match any more often than anyone else. No hero is some golden-win in any comp but it's proof that Symmetra can be used effectively in the right SITUATION at even high level play. Frankly anything can work < 3000

You're really going to say MMR == skill for a pro player who spends the vast, vast majority of his gametime in unranked custom games scrimming? Even with that according to master overwatch seagull is #33 with only about 50 ranked games played.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
All of those sites are sketchy, data wise, and pointless to get into any argument based on them, just like the ranking sites for LoL are largely useless for comparing to actual MMR. You may as well make that argument for any of the pro players, but most of them (including Seagull) play enough ranked to get placed reasonably close to where they should be. How many games does it take to get close to your ranking? 200? 500? That's an absurd number of games for anyone in a 2-month season but all those guys are going to hit triple digits. If the ranking isn't able to get CLOSE after 50 (especially for someone CONSISTENTLY skilled like Seagull, not us chumps who get better or worse on a daily basis), the ranking system is broken and needs to be tweaked.

You can't claim Seagull is just carrying teams with Symmetra somehow because the enemy team is that much worse than him. Symmetra isn't a carry champ, at all, she relies heavily on her team as well. The fact Seagull does well on her is because he understands the situations where she is good, not because he can click buttons better than the 11 other people in his game. Watch his VoDs, he loses plenty... not as many as me, sure, but he's not some 80% winrate god of OW. I've actually seen him lose on his signature champs more than Symmetra, most likely because again, it's a strategic/tactical advantage, not a mechanical skill one.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Symmetra is insurance against 5v6 and such. I wouldn't consider that win more but...lose less? It's very forgiving for your team in quick play and ladder. The lack of communication and coordination often leads to one or two people getting picked off and the teleporter evens the fights back out. I don't ever play her but a buddy of mine that I queue with plays her quite a bit on defense on certain maps and does very well. One of my favorite defenses is Mercy/Symmetra, especially when you have to hold a cap point for a win or draw. One or two go down, let the teleporter get it. 3-5 go down, rez it up. Absolute staying power.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Symmetra is mildly better in the current shield-heavy meta too, makes people have to dodge a lot more than one would expect behind Rein shields and whatnot.

Tenks

I've been playing Reaper on almost every map every side every point lately and just crushing face. Since there is pretty much a 100% chance a Roadhog will be on the other team, a 75% chance a Rein and a 50% chance of Winston he just rapes in this meta. Even without I find him really good against other popular picks such as Mei and Junkrat.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I couldn't sleep last night so I hopped into a quick play game as Solider 76. I proceeded to go 42-0 with 23 helix rocket kills.

Killing people with his rocket, especially a tracer or genji, is just so rewarding.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I've been playing Reaper on almost every map every side every point lately and just crushing face. Since there is pretty much a 100% chance a Roadhog will be on the other team, a 75% chance a Rein and a 50% chance of Winston he just rapes in this meta. Even without I find him really good against other popular picks such as Mei and Junkrat.

I've been playing basically 90% Reaper on quickplay and I 3-4gold medal probably 75% of the time with him. If they're bad/you're good you can just completely dominate a team. One game in Eichanwalde I just stood by their spawn at the beginning and mode through 8 of them only self healing before they stopped me. I had 5 gold medals because I had something like 800 healing and none of my team had even seen anyone yet.

Good Mei's will fuck you over though. You basically have to find one that blew her iceblock already and then it's hoping she doesn't know she can freeze you faster than you can kill her or hope she isn't a good-shot Mei that will just two shot you regardless. Reaper being a Zarya counter is super fucking helpful this season too as a Zarya is basically a must for most all teams.

nawcor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone looking to group for comp, been around 2900 ish but currently on a downward spiral of scrub teams and can't take losing because of retards anymore.

Add me Nawcor#11615 if youre tired of solo Q!

Tenks

I've been playing basically 90% Reaper on quickplay and I 3-4gold medal probably 75% of the time with him. If they're bad/you're good you can just completely dominate a team. One game in Eichanwalde I just stood by their spawn at the beginning and mode through 8 of them only self healing before they stopped me. I had 5 gold medals because I had something like 800 healing and none of my team had even seen anyone yet.

Good Mei's will fuck you over though. You basically have to find one that blew her iceblock already and then it's hoping she doesn't know she can freeze you faster than you can kill her or hope she isn't a good-shot Mei that will just two shot you regardless. Reaper being a Zarya counter is super fucking helpful this season too as a Zarya is basically a must for most all teams.

Really I have no issues with Mei. Just pound her, force iceblock and then pound her again. If you lose your tracking you can always shift out of her freeze and start over. I actually find her to be one of the people I try to directly engage since I feel I have the appropriate tools to deal with her as opposed to some others on my team.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Really I have no issues with Mei. Just pound her, force iceblock and then pound her again. If you lose your tracking you can always shift out of her freeze and start over. I actually find her to be one of the people I try to directly engage since I feel I have the appropriate tools to deal with her as opposed to some others on my team.
As someone who has played Mei a fair amount I have the same experience. It's pretty annoying to kill Reaper and I try to ignore him because he just shifts out of freeze. Basically just have to right click him and kill him before he kills you.

Tenks

As someone who has played Mei a fair amount I have the same experience. It's pretty annoying to kill Reaper and I try to ignore him because he just shifts out of freeze. Basically just have to right click him and kill him before he kills you.

Yeah I think in a Mei v Reaper scenario the Mei probably shouldn't be LMB'ing. Just pray for headshots to make the Reaper shift away or kill outright.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Symmetra is insurance against 5v6 and such. I wouldn't consider that win more but...lose less? It's very forgiving for your team in quick play and ladder. The lack of communication and coordination often leads to one or two people getting picked off and the teleporter evens the fights back out. I don't ever play her but a buddy of mine that I queue with plays her quite a bit on defense on certain maps and does very well. One of my favorite defenses is Mercy/Symmetra, especially when you have to hold a cap point for a win or draw. One or two go down, let the teleporter get it. 3-5 go down, rez it up. Absolute staying power.

Yea, I find Sym synergizes very well with Mei, Mercy, and anyone that's good at focusing fire on called hits. She excels at alerting her team of incoming threats and a clutch teleport can turn the tide of a fight just as much as resurrect OR it can be a massive decoy.

I know I'm being matched against the lower spectrum of comp players but the climb is going successfully with her. The biggest issue Sym has is that your team is very likely to be skeptical and that lack of confidence seems to impact their focus. Once they get a few wins with me they usually acknowledge the matches "feel easier".

I have great results countering Rein, Genji, and Mercy when she overextends. Hanzo melts if you get the jump on him, too. Mei is a death machine.

Tenks

In an OW quick tips video I watched yesterday it said you can charge Sym beam up on friendly Mei walls. I haven't personally tested it but it seems to have some merit since often the enemies will spill through the wall right when it falls only to meet a fully powered microwave.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Had a 40k dmg game (which we lost!) earlier today as Junkrat.. thought it was good but looked it up and only ranks #858th for dmg done in a game

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I did a thing, but i'm not sure why.. just did it to do it I guess? But rally behind my cause, and figure out how to get avoid player back!

I'm tired of getting the 2800dpi mei cicles going down in spawn.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749405525#1

That's a lot of typing when there's a solution someone posted the day they said they were removing it: Avoid player makes it less likely for them to appear on your team. Since people were abusing it to avoid facing skilled opponents, that instantly removes the abuse but keeps the intent of the system in place: keep people you don't like playing with off your team. If enough people avoid that player it essentially ends up being a wash at the high end, but if they're doing anything report-worthy, report them too. Otherwise you just have to deal with it occasionally. You can't really use flat % like that in a complicated (and huge) matchmaking system, but you can use weight, which is probably how it worked before, and is fairly simple, and would be easy to re-implement for the your-own-team-only adaption.