Oxygen Not Included

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's worth the 25 bucks now if that's what you're asking, I was up until 1:30 last night playing it :(.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The game is mostly feature complete now, Klei announced that the next update(s?) will be about polish and smoothing out the overall gameplay.

Goonsquad Officer
no idea on 1.0. there's enough content to spend hundreds of hours getting less terrible over time. the last few updates have each radically increased the game's content/complexity/challenge.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
how much content is there now? I rembember Quill18 playing ways back, and it seemed something I'd be interested in but it was about 4 hour experience and then you'd have everything pretty much set up and then just continue going thru the motions

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm about 4 hours in on this save and I haven't left the starting area.

• 1Worf

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It is less about it being worth the money, it seems so now, and more about whether waiting a couple of months will improve my experience with the game.

Take Rimworld for instance, I have been devouring that game lately, but I actually purchased it 3 or so years ago. I played it for about 10 hours and knew it was something I liked, but rather than burn out on it then I put it down until the 1.0 launch.

The better an EA game is, the more I find it worth waiting for it to actually launch. I find that if I burn myself out on a half finished game and then pick it up later I have an overall worse experience.

Sounds to me like it will come out really soon and is full of content, which is perfect. I will buy it next time it is on sale and wait for release.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I suppose. For game like this, that are 100% playable. Im pretty happy to just start a new colony every time major release comes around.

Losing is fun. and you arent supposed to get too attached to any given 1 colony.

Caliane

have work to do. Mind is 100% preoccupied trying to plan out how to, A:setup renewable clean water, B:set up oxygen eletrolyzer, C:prevent ice biome from melting/cooldown base overall, D:insulate base from generators/batteries.
have a cool steam geyser, have a hidden water geyser very close to it.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried to do my first oxygen elctrolyzer setup yesterday, but it failed spectacularly and my colony died. I think the problem was the space was too enclosed, gonna try it being more open today and earlier.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tried to do my first oxygen elctrolyzer setup yesterday, but it failed spectacularly and my colony died. I think the problem was the space was too enclosed, gonna try it being more open today and earlier.

The core of your base should occupy the majority of the starter biome, and you want to avoid pumping electrolyzer oxygen straight into your base because it's too hot.

Goonsquad Officer
I frequently build my oxygen production in a cold biome, making sure trhe pipes pass by some weezeworts.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had five of them in an insulated room at the top of my base, but I wasn't generating enough hydrogen to feed my hydrogen generators, and not enough oxygen to feed my base.

Goonsquad Officer
I do a really simple set up. I cube off some space. I put in an electrolizer and 2 gas pumps. each gas pump feeds into it's own gas filter. all the hydrogen goes into one pipe, the oxygen stay their own two pipes. I always add enough hydrogen generators to just get rid of hydrogen (i use it as a waste product/coolant, not a direct power source). I send hte gas pipes into a weezewort room with conductive pipes to try to lower the temperature as low as I can before using them to cool/oxygenate my base.

if i have automation i add a gas pressure sensor to shut off the gas pumps when under 500 pressure.

Caliane

Yeah, my last colony imploded very quickly, after hitting the "early" mid game. The point where, you;
A:start to run out of clean starter water.
B: Start to have heat problems for your crops.
C:run out of Algae for oxygen.
D:run out of coal for generators.

I made some mistakes, after hitting the wall.
I was expanding. Trying to harvest ice biome, AND set up oxygenizer, AND harvest a water geyser, AND set up a water seive, all at the same time. This failed. Since trying to do too many different things, none got done in time.

My hydroponics failed massive as I ran out of power. Most foolish, and probably could have saved the colony, was, I SHOULD have built multiple manual generators. I had 13 dupes.
And B. set up a Super simple oxidizer, instead of trying to build a more complex air cooling, self powering oxidizer set up.

New base is going much better. I have the water setup 100% solid right from the get go.
2 coal gen atm, but supplemented by 3 manual gens. Running out of power should not be a massive deal.
Water is MUCH better. 2 water sieve setups, with 2 aquatuners to cool the water.

In general most INDUSTRY is OUTSIDE the base. Generators, reasearch, batteries, seives, etc. Everything that creates HEAT, that is not lights, etc, is OUTSIDE.

Water should be redone a bit. Theres currently polluted water, and Water. But in REALITY there is contaminated water, clean water, Contaminated polluted water, and polluted water.
Knowing the difference is of course important. Germs are not cleaned out by sieves. they only die out over very long times, or boiling.

All that Polluted water, in Slime biomes is easy and safe to convert into clean water for drinking/eating/oxygen. No need to screw around with geysers early/mid game.
Seives do put out WARM water. 100degres or so. you can deal with that in several ways. 1. Aquatuner to cool it. 2. Insulated pipes. 3. Store it outside the base, and ignore the heat. Dupes/cooking/oxygen don't actually care about temp of water much.

Contaminated water from toilets/sinks/showers. Closed loop with a water sieve. Showers/sinks/toilets do nto actually care if the water they intake is full of germs. as long as its water, not "polluted water". Note this CREATES water, as toilets generate more polluted water then they use. however, this is full of germs. It CAN be used to irrigate farms however.

Oxygen not included really excels at every game system, interacting with every other game system. Heat, airflow, materials.

The biggest problem imho is wheezeworts. too good, MAGIC. I wish we had more reasonable cooling options that were not just literally magic.

I have a plan for a super cooling oxydizer setup. considering trying to open up the sandbox mode to test it. Or, might just do a simple one, get stable, then screw around.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
yea weezworts are the magic that lets it all work. heat deletion is also cheesy as fuck.

One thing i do every time for water is i make a polluted water catcher at the bottom of my base and i drain a few polluted water pockets into it, sieve it, shower/toilet/o2 it. I tend to wind up with more water than I need for a while.

for early heat management I either make oxygen in a cold biome, or pipe oxygen through a weezewort freeze factory. I place most heat generating machines outside of the base, preferably in a cold biome. later i'll pipe chilled oil or hydrogen through to keep the hot rooms sane. using hydrogen from the aforementioned cold-02 rooms to sop up the heat then poof into oblivion in a hydrogen generator is amazing.

Caliane

My old, old base several patches ago, I tried to do the oxygen in the ice biome, etc. it just melted the ice biome.

I was trying to set up a self powered oxygen circuit with 4 wheezeworts in that last base, when it failed, based on reddit designs.

But, looking at some vids, I also realized something else about Wheezworts, that as far as I can tell, most designs fail to use. Like, in the past again, I would stick a wheezewort or two, amoung my crops to help keep them cool. They only did a little.
What I was failing to make use of, was Wheezeworts suck in Air through the BASE, and expel it from the TOP. If placed out in the open, they just recirculate air in place.
However, if you place tiles on the SIDES of them, you create an airflow.

This airflow can be used to create substantially more cooling(a self contained coil), as well as electricity free air flow of gases around your base.

Goonsquad Officer
a big thing with weezworts is to have them in a room of super dense hydrogen. the heat they can reduce that way is pretty impressive.

melting the ice biome isn't bad. you want the water out of it anyway and any heat it absorbs is heat not in your base. essentially the biome is only there to be a heat sink. post sink it has done it's job. i just always set the goal to have an encoldening room set up by late game.

an interesting thing i haven't tested/verified... some one said on the reddit when you mine something, it destroys half of it's mass. so if you mine out ice you get "half" the water out of it you would get from it melting from it's default state. so melting the biome aint bad if so.

Caliane

yeah, it should be noted that there are like 10 ice biomes on any given map. So, losing one to early expansion isn't that bad. While later ice biomes, you have better tools to preserve.

• 1Like