Oxygen Not Included

khorum

Murder Apologist
yeah, it should be noted that there are like 10 ice biomes on any given map. So, losing one to early expansion isn't that bad. While later ice biomes, you have better tools to preserve.

I finally found an anti-entropic thermal nullifier encased in one of the ice biomes and it easily beats my 20-wort cooling setup for most my cooling needs. I need more wolframite to the heat exchange and for some reason I can't make liquid piping with Abyssalite anymore?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I finally found an anti-entropic thermal nullifier encased in one of the ice biomes and it easily beats my 20-wort cooling setup for most my cooling needs. I need more wolframite to the heat exchange and for some reason I can't make liquid piping with Abyssalite anymore?

Abyssalite can't be used in construction anymore, it's an ingredient to make insulation in a molecular forge at the extreme late game. Abyssalite construction was super broken.

Use igneous rock, ceramic for the really high/low temp stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So what is the general build order? I just started playing but I totally starved to death by attrition. I stabilized and got to a point where I had too many duplicants to feed and too much upkeep to keep my place running. So I just withered away.

I kept going farming, but without irrigation farming is not as worthwhile as I hoped and I am unsure of exactly how it needs to be irrigated outside of priority and manual bottle carry. I was pretty good with my hamster wheel and batteries but I got behind on oxygen regeneration. The algae terrariums require more upkeep than they're worth it seems?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Hmmm. sounds intriguing.

Looks like it's even on sale. Is that a black friday type thing, or does this game tend to stay on sale?

I suspect that i'll be getting this one. I never got into don't starve but i always saw good things about it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm. sounds intriguing.

Looks like it's even on sale. Is that a black friday type thing, or does this game tend to stay on sale?

I suspect that i'll be getting this one. I never got into don't starve but i always saw good things about it.
I played Don't Starve longer than I played any other survival sims. The genre as a whole doesn't appeal to me, but something about Don't Starve worked for me. I'm picking this up now that it seems like they're close to release.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So what is the general build order? I just started playing but I totally starved to death by attrition. I stabilized and got to a point where I had too many duplicants to feed and too much upkeep to keep my place running. So I just withered away.

I kept going farming, but without irrigation farming is not as worthwhile as I hoped and I am unsure of exactly how it needs to be irrigated outside of priority and manual bottle carry. I was pretty good with my hamster wheel and batteries but I got behind on oxygen regeneration. The algae terrariums require more upkeep than they're worth it seems?

Algae terrariums are basically unusable garbage. As long as you have your base closed off (meaning you arent venting oxygen to the entire map) one or two deoxidizers (renamed to diffusers in the QoL update) will cover you until you can set up a cooling system for electrolyzer output. For food you need something like 4-5 lice plants per dupe to feed them purely on meal lice. If you create a CO2 lock near the bottom of your base, you'll have a sterile atmosphere for food storage (no spoilage) as well as a spot you can farm mushrooms once you get access to slime.

Caliane

I'm not even sure what the "perfect" build order is. Some will vary based on SEED. Everything in the game you build, has +/- in terms of its needs. the game is incredibly well made in how much everything interconnects. And yeah, first thing to learn is, don't take too many dupes, just because they are being offered.

Algae terrarium. requires lots of water, lots of maintenance. But, creates more oxygen per algae, then Algae Deoxydizer.
Algae Dexoydizer. Requires lots of power. Power itself, having a good deal of maintenance, and material consumption. and uses more Algae per oxygen.

I will say yes, the terrariums probably arent worth it. 1 Deoxydixzer is probalby enough for early game till you get a full electrolyzer up and running. (Aided with deoderizers, cleaning out polluted oxygen.)
But, Running out of Algae is a very big deal as you transition into midgame, very potentially. Coal, algae and clean water are the big hurdles you need to be ready to hit around cycle 80-100 or so.
Coal and algae outside of starter zone do exist, but locations and amount will vary from Seed to Seed. being prepared to run out of either is very desirable.
clean water is also obviously a big deal. With irrigation, food, and oxygen electrolyser making heavy use of it. If you are not prepared to replenish your source, you will be running out of it again around 80-100 cycles in.

Its also one of the easiest to deal with thankfully. Late game you might be harvesting an infinite amount of water from a geyser. but for now, its easy enough to simply turn all that germ free, polluted water, in slime biomes into clean drinking water with a water sieve. that polluted water can also be used before it enters the sieve, to cool the water that comes out of the sieve with an aquatuner.
Be sure GERMY water is directed somewhere else. look up closed loop bathroom systems for that.

Dupe time is a valuable commodity. set all interior doors to stay open. Manual generators are pretty good.. but yeah, cost dupe time. farm tiles-dupe time spent doing manual irrigation.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
hamster wheels also generate very little heat, no pollution, and train tinkering. and Deoxidizers hardly require any power, like 240 kw tops.

Goonsquad Officer
Oni is absurdly full of little tricks that make a world of difference.

one of the simpler tricks is to manipulate C02 into making your crop areas better. if you make an area near the bottom of your base, with a roof (so water doesn't fall on it). Put a row of crop planters, and a lip so the c02 can't fall out. you'll keep it's atmosphere consistant and preserve the food.

If you make a pit one square deep and put a container in it, squirt some water in it, then use it to store your slime and polluted dirt, you'll spare yourself a world of poluted oxygen infecting your people.

if you burrow into an ice biome and then into a slime biome, the slime's stank air won't carry slimelung to your base.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oni is absurdly full of little tricks that make a world of difference.

one of the simpler tricks is to manipulate C02 into making your crop areas better. if you make an area near the bottom of your base, with a roof (so water doesn't fall on it). Put a row of crop planters, and a lip so the c02 can't fall out. you'll keep it's atmosphere consistant and preserve the food.

If you make a pit one square deep and put a container in it, squirt some water in it, then use it to store your slime and polluted dirt, you'll spare yourself a world of poluted oxygen infecting your people.

if you burrow into an ice biome and then into a slime biome, the slime's stank air won't carry slimelung to your base.

I recommended making a CO2 trap in an earlier post, you can use it to farm shrooms which are a great step up from meal lice.

basically something like this near the bottom, with airflow tiles where i marked Xs so the co2 can flow in. As you can see from the farm tile I have highlighted, I was sloppy about heat creep at the bottom of my base and it got too hot for mushrooms.

dMC4yNW.png

Last edited:

khorum

Murder Apologist

There's no real set "build order" but a lot of helpful caveats. One that will save you a mid-game flameout is "WATCH THE GERM OVERLAY". You want to make sure your toilets will always have a corresponding washbasin or sink that the dupes will be forced to used after using the toilet. You'll notice the sinks and washbasins and ore cleaners have arrows on them, you can change the direction the dupes must be going in order to be forced to use them, so you can make it so the dupes don't have to use a sink on the way to the toilet but they have to use it on the way back.... that principle is important for the ore washers etc.

If you can manage some basic hygiene you can avoid hiring a caregiver dupe and building a medbay until slimelung gets into everything. If you don't, the germs will get to the food or water supply, build up over time and eventually swamp you. Keep an eye out for chlorine gas pockets around your starting biome, you're gonna need chlorine gas to deal with slimelung dispersion.

Thing is, that advice is as important for TEMPERATURE and PRESSURE too. Pressure is more immediate but you'll have to anticipate when you need to manage it---but Temperature you'll need to start thinking about ways of cooling certain processes looong before it becomes a major problem. If you don't watch the pressure overlay, you may not notice how hot your core colony has become until you try to farm crops and see that the whole volume is around 40 degrees C and fixing it would take a looooong time.

Caliane

yeah, heat is one of the big killers as well. And one of the more obtuse issues. Here on Earth heat dissipates. in an enclosed space, the base would become an oven.. and does.

the methods for dealing with heat in game are, arcane. Wheezeworts are just magic. they suck in air, and spit it back out cooler. deleting heat.
Water sieves intake any temp water, and spit it out at 40°C/104°F, deleting any extra heat.

Aquatuners just transfer heat 1:1 from pipe to the liquid they are submerged in. they do not remove any heat. They can be used to move the heat, outside your base of course. or, used in conjunction with seives and wheezeworts for cooling.

be sure to irrigate with cool water.
All industry/generators/batteries should be outside your base, separated by insulated tiles. cooking as well.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The heat buildup happens over a long time and every intervention likewise takes a long time. Before, you could just build a central column with Abyssalite and "graduate" out of the heat dispersal problem as soon as you can build abyssalite walls and pipes, now you'll need an active heat dispersal setup to bleed the heat up before it builds up too much.

My current build is all ranching Hatches for near-infinite coal so I don't have to fuck around with maintaining temps for farming but just a quick look has the average heat in my great hall at 42c, which is just shit. Even the anti-entropy setup would take forever to bleed that down to 23.

Caliane

should note. The reddit is pretty active, and generally full of great build ideas for loops, circuits, etc.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This your current base?
nah it's the creation of a dude in the ONI discord, he's on a seed with three volcanos in more or less a vertical line above an aetn (gold in the pic, minor and major off screen providing the magma in that center pool) so he decided to set up a cooling apparatus to handle all of the refined gold and igneous rock. Which would only be mildly impressive, except he hasn't gone into space yet so he didn't do this with any of the mega-broken space industry materials like niobium, thermium, and super coolant, which makes it pretty amazing.

iannis

Musty Nester
my goofy little bastards keep farting on each other.

A+++ would sniff again

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user