Oxygen Not Included

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm having a ton of fun in this game but god damn if you can't get into totally irrecoverable situations without even really realizing what's happening. I'm still a srcub lord but improving in each game. I totally died going into a slime biome this last game.

I am favoring having a research, supply, operate and multiple miners over anything else. If one of your idiots dies from whatever it takes way too long to get another who can keep digging. Which is sometimes fucks you.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Athletics is actually the most important stat for like your first five dupes. For my first three I go for digging, cooking and research but at least 4 athletics on each of them.

• 1Like

Caliane

I don't think there is a consensus. Some claim learning.

It should be noted.

A:Dupes get base stat increases based on the job they are actually doing at any given time.
B:Learning stat, speeds up learning of a job SKILL.
C:Setting a job does not assign a dupe TO that job. Setting a job, Gives that dupe temporary stat buffed, as well as any listed Trait bonus. and on mastery that stat gain, and trait is permanent.

So, you should be swapping out dupes from jobs as soon as they master it. Give each dupe as much expertise, and stat buffs in each field as possible.

yeah, slime biome can kill you the first couple times.
The key is just patience. And spam deodorizers everywhere. they are OP. basically free. only consume resources when they actually do something.
Slimelung will die out naturally over time, in water and pure oxygen.
You can set up a washbasinx2 setup going back into your base, if you really want to. Arrow facing towards base, so they wash up, coming back.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Also ranching Sage Hatches clears out slime like noone's business. They eat slime and shit out coal very efficiently and a few stables' worth of Sage Hatchliings can power 4 coal plants pretty much indefinitely and the slimelung doesn't survive their digestive process. If you have a couple dedicated storage guys, they'll sweep up the slime to the nearest Sage Hatch feeders and localize the oxygen pollution in the stables just before the Hatches eat eventually eat all the stored slime. They'll also eat polluted earth and rotten food---prolly a little op tbh.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also ranching Sage Hatches clears out slime like noone's business. They eat slime and shit out coal very efficiently and a few stables' worth of Sage Hatchliings can power 4 coal plants pretty much indefinitely and the slimelung doesn't survive their digestive process. If you have a couple dedicated storage guys, they'll sweep up the slime to the nearest Sage Hatch feeders and localize the oxygen pollution in the stables just before the Hatches eat eventually eat all the stored slime. They'll also eat polluted earth and rotten food---prolly a little op tbh.

I haven't even got a successful ranch yet. Best I've done is a hydroponic meal lice farm until slime killed me.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I haven't even got a successful ranch yet. Best I've done is a hydroponic meal lice farm until slime killed me.
Oh BTW early on you should look out for REED FIBER (it should be on the ground near some plants). You'll need two for each exo suit and you're gonna need at least one exo-suit before you run out of copper or water or algae or fuel in the starting biome. Then you need to make the manual metal refinery (the one the dupes punch to refine stuff) so you can make an exosuit, an exosuit dock and an exosuit checkpoint BEFORE you go into the slime biomes. If you can get chlorine gas in your exosuit airlock area, that would be best.

If you plan out where your exosuit/airlock ahead of time you can avoid problems with slimelung/weird gas and heat issues outside of the starting biome.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm having a ton of fun in this game but god damn if you can't get into totally irrecoverable situations without even really realizing what's happening. I'm still a srcub lord but improving in each game. I totally died going into a slime biome this last game.

Slimelung is trivial to manage if you're careful, and there's really no need to rush into a marsh biome before you're prepared to handle it. Build a little U to hold 2-3 storage compactors and use a bottle emptier to fill it with enough water to submerge the compactors. Set the compactor to store only slime, the fact that it's submerged will prevent the slime from aerating infected pO2 into the air. Give the compactor a high priority to that miners will immediately rush the slime off to the compactor (this preserves the slime in addition to keeping slimelung out of the air).

Before you breach a marsh biome, make sure the path back to your base is protected with an airlock. A waterlock will create a perfect gas seal, but it will stress out your dupes from getting soaking wet every time they go through. A conventional airlock door won't stress out your dupes, but gasses pass through while it's open so you'll want a deodorizer on both the outside and inside of the door. You'll also want a washbasin or two set up so any dupe who enters a marsh biome has to wash their hands upon returning to base.

The core of safe marsh biome exploitation is the deodorizer. Any time you see a pocket of pO2, put down a deodorizer or two down and then stay the hell away from that area until the slimelung has died off (slimelung dies in clean oxygen).

Caliane

also, a bit of slimelung wont hurt anyone. its if you KEEP sending them back in, over and over.

iannis

Musty Nester
woooof. power consumption ramps the fuck UP with liquid and gas filtration.

Your base is in a permanent state of chaos. You just can't stop rebuilding.

Food security is usually the thing in this type of game. It's surprisingly easy to get... and surprisingly not that important.

Caliane

IDK, food can go real wrong real fast.
run out of power, pumps stop, irrigation stops.
heat buildup.
too many dupes, too fast. not enough food.

sure fairly easy to manage on third.. fourth bases.. but probably killed your first and second attempts.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
my games aren't resulting so much in catostropic collapse as they seem to be devolving into infinite maintenance. Which will eventually result in catastrophic collapse as my resources dwindle, if i felt like letting it run that long.

Like the food thing. The first few games I got stuck making mush loafs and I couldn't get ahead of the kcals, but I wasn't falling behind. Till I realized that it's better to eat raw lice... and it doesn't take an awful big farm to harvest enough.

It is a pretty well balanced version of what it is.

I also play kinda slow and conservative. I've got the feeling you're supposed to stress your little serial farters to almost max, and then let them rest. Me, I have a workers paradise. 9 hours downtime per day! Everyone is paid 15 dollars an hour! Every third day is a national holiday! ORANGE MAN BAD.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol, sounds exactly like my problems. I want them all fat and happy and able to perform the toughest jobs with no morale penalty, but then I leave the starting area and it all goes to shit and my designs suck ass. Need to play it more is all, I think.

EDIT: Also, half my games end when the retards get themselves trapped in the most retarded locations and die and I get depressed about it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Don't have to copy him exactly, like I really don't get why he still uses the microbe musher, but watching him helped me a lot with transitioning through different tech levels/biomes.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've watched him, there's just more I need to understand about the game to really get it. Like I copied his Electrolyzer setup exactly and my base died because of it.

EDIT: Tbh, it's probably because I get too many dupes. Things really go to shit when I got 16 dudes running around on cycle 40.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've watched him, there's just more I need to understand about the game to really get it. Like I copied his Electrolyzer setup exactly and my base died because of it.

EDIT: Tbh, it's probably because I get too many dupes. Things really go to shit when I got 16 dudes running around on cycle 40.

Yeah my most recent colony is at cycle 425ish, has successfully launched its first rocket, and I only have 12 dupes. 16 dupes at cycle 40 sounds like insanity.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They just all look so good to me! Like 9 out of 10 times there's a dupe with a high skill/interest combo that I don't feel right passing up, and it always feels like I could use someone else to do something that's falling behind.

• 1Like