Oxygen Not Included

Caliane

yes. you can put water through a sieve without damaging it. However, it will not cool, just pass through 1:1. its the polluted water, that gets converted to set water temp.

iannis

Musty Nester
So how are you supposed to cool rock?

Ambient radiation? Does heat still rise, or is it confined to a radius like vented Gasses seem to be?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can someone tell me why liquid pipes occasionally just don't take water. Like you have some length of pipe and on a single square it just stops going further along. This happens occasionally to me and seriously pisses me off.

Caliane

not sure. the mechanics for splitting pipes/vents can be shit sometimes. And not make alot of sense.
Pressure can be an issue as well.

are you 100% sure you built the entire pipeline? or did not accidentally "deconstruct all layers" while trying to deconstruct wires or something?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah just had a plumbing bug totally ruin my game and I had to make a new one. I totally scrapped my plumbing system, rebuilt it. The water only flows along a single path no matter what you do. If I added anything so it was all alone the same linear pipe, it stopped wherever the original construction stopped.

It did this 3 times.

Fucking bullshit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Gotta be careful with output nodes upstream of the pumps, and yeah I wish the devs would colorize the plumbing overlay or add arrows or SOME kinda visual cue on which way the liquid flow is pushed and what's pushing it.

If you have even a liquid bridge's output node pushing the opposite direction of a pump (or god forbid ANOTHER pump) it will form a pressure-neutral "bubble" somewhere between the two output nodes.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Can someone suggest an easy to digest get-started guide? I love these types of games but struggle to get past the initial learning curve

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Can someone suggest an easy to digest get-started guide? I love these types of games but struggle to get past the initial learning curve

I'd recommend:

You could also watch his latest play-through. He tends to explain the reasons for his actions as he goes along.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I really like his "Duuuuuude, fix my base." series, very interesting seeing him go thru other builds and fix them up.

iannis

Musty Nester
So I don't totally get it. My guys are getting food poisoning from tainted water. But when I check the food they're consuming it's low germs. When I check their surface germs, it's no germs.

Where are these little idiots drinking tainted water? Are they sucking it straight out of my septic tank?

The only place they might be is from the shower? But shouldn't that be surface germs, not ingestion germs? I guess germs is germs.

Last edited:

khorum

Murder Apologist
For food poisoning basically you wanna "checkpoint" each toilet with a corresponding sink. Make sure that the dupes will be forced to path through a sink after using the toilet (make sure the arrows point so that they only use it on the way OUT or there will be congestion and they wont wait for a sink to be vacant, theyll just take their germs to dinner).

Also polluted water exiting the water sieve will STILL HAVE ALL THE GERMS even though it's now purified water. It's dumb I know, so you'll either need to restrict the usage of purified water to irrigation or toilets or you can make a basin to collect the polluted water, heat it to 80c to kill off the germs and THEN pump it to a sieve before returning it to your clean water pool.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I did the sink/toilet combo's. The sieve is keeping the germs, and it's applying to the food even though there's no indication that it's applying to the food. I check the food and it's like "100 germs", but then they eat it and it's like "you're gonna be shitting and puking forever". I thought the mushing process itself cleaned the germs, but it does not. And the tooltip is not accurate. Really, this being the case, there's an argument to not use the microbemusher at all. The extra manpower you use harvesting more lice is offset by the cooktimes stretching your kcals... and since lice plants can be fed germy water without infecting the lice... it's an all natural filtration system. Well, not lice plants, the berry plants. Same idea though.

Interesting death cycle!

I was just sieving water directly out of my septic tank and feeding it back into a global water tank. I understand why this is a bad idea IRL, lol... but from a game mechanics perspective the indication was that it -should- work. Toilet water is not for cooking! That simple fact changes the way you have to design the plumbing. Not drastically, and it actually simplifies things.

It would be nice if the tooltip gave an accurate indication though. It was entertaining to watch them shit themselves to death. I really couldn't figure out in-game what the problem was.

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah I think it's because the germs was patched into the game later so that the Germ Overlay was its own thing that you'd have to look out for.

Also, heat is gonna be a major problem eventually. You're gonna want to kill the germs in the polluted water BEFORE sieving it. I was sieving the purified germy water and the resulting pure water was 80c... eventually the heat spread out throughout the colony (the electrolyzers will actually ADD to the heat of the water you feed it) and there isn't an easy way to bleed off the 50 degrees of heat before it gets into the clean water pool. Eventually my crops stopped growing and that was that for that colony. Also, dont pump germy water into the electrolyzers, it'll just make food poisoning AIRBORNE, which is amusing.

But apparently if you sieve polluted water it outputs 40c purified water regardless how hot the incoming polluted water was. The you can just pass the water through a roomful of wheezeworts to bleed off the last 15c.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't use a microbe musher and it's fine, airborne food poisoning can't infect dupes. The tepidizer is a noob trap that destroys colonies, as Khorum found out. If you're really that obsessed with clearing the germs, build a liquid reservoir inside a room filled with chlorine. May be an unintended interaction that will be removed in the future, but in a couple cycles all the germs in the reservoir will be dead.

• 1Like

Caliane

I mean, you could have hit the germ overlay...

A big thing you can do, is create a closed loop for the toilets, sinks, showers.

Showers, sinks and toilets do not care if the water is germ free. And showers and sinks are 1:1 intake/outtake of water/polluted water.
Toilets actually CREATE water. (technically not create, that magic water comes from dupes poop/urine, which comes from dupes consuming food, which needed water to create.)
But, the point is, you can loop them, and never run out of water. and in fact, it fills up, and you have to dump water out of the loop periodically.

The, yes, you can run these pipes through cholorine and it will cleanse the water/polluted water of germs even in the pipes. A liquid reservoir is even better, due to the excess water mentioned.

oxidizers dont care about water temp, or germs. (short of boiling/damaging water) they output set temp, and kill germs.
Irrigation does not care about germs either.
Cooking, cares about germs.

iannis

Musty Nester
I did hit the germs overlay. I knew that cistern was super germy. That's not the problem. The problem was that the food coming out of the micromusher reports an incorrect germ content. When you look at it, in it's germ properties it says "X00" or something. When they -eat- it, it applies the germ content from the water used to create it. There's a hidden variable, or else they're referencing the wrong value on the food report. So that is a situation that is at best seriously confusing and at worst looks like a bug.

And yeah, once I realized that, the conclusion that you have to make a closed loop for your sinks/showers/toilets is the inescapable fact of how germs work. :D You can't get any real water purification fast enough. Unless you just wanted to rely on outhouses until you got the ability to purify. Which I suppose you could do!

In rimworld, my dudes tend to shit in buckets until well after they've got nuclear power up and running. Because if it's good enough for pakistani's it's good enough for THEM.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I found a gold volcano right next to my base on this run. Wtf do I do with a gold volcano?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is there a certain extent to which a single pump can pump liquid?

khorum

Murder Apologist
As in length of the pipe network? Not that I've seen. My germy water pump ended up pumping through two ice biomes before getting back to the colony. That tepidizer is great for melting that shit down for more water.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll post a screenshot this evening. But I am not understanding why I have pipes stopping their pump arbitrarily like they are. Especially in hydroponic farm tiles. Like it goes through 5 tiles, but doesn't go to the 6th, as an example.