Oxygen Not Included

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
Welp... so apparently trying to run your entire anthill off a centralized power grid is no bueno!

Everything was fine until I put down that one overhead light...

then... CATASTROPHIC CASCADE!!!!

I think that'll be the name for my next one.

khorum

Murder Apologist
h robominers

Well my latest colony was doing amazing till 427 when I ran out of slime to feed my Hatches and which shut down their coal and egg production....which shut down both my energy and my food production. Im building natgas generators for the two geysers ive found but when I tried to build sleetwheet farms i found out i was out of clay or dirt---the hathes have eaten all of it lol.

Now Ive lost a couple people to starvation and I'm eaten all but two stables' worth of hatches but the folks who have died include my only cook who can make barbecue so the survivors are left eating raw meat. It doesnt look like I can rescue it.

I had an awesome colony with automated stables and conveyor networks with robominers and everything....I never had more than 9 people the whole time, which may have been the problem. The minute I lost a couple people shit snowballed fast and that may not have been the case with 15-ish dupes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You should probably be feeding all of your shittank into fertilizer synthesizers I guess?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Do they produce dirt alongside natgas? I lucked out with two natgas geysers so I never bothered with the fertilizer synthesizers and I never built a farm for this colony so I never needed them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sage hatches are terrible and you just learned why. I rely on stone hatches when I ranch because their food is practically infinite (and is literally infinite if you have a major/minor volcano and the ability to cool its output). Algae, Dirt, and even Slime are far too precious to waste on converting to coal.

Fertilizer can be 'cooked' into dirt by raising it to 125c, although you'll need to cool it again after.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I had a couple stone hatches but one almost soloed my cook when she tried to slaughter it. Also the sage hatches were pretty awesome converting all the slime into coal.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Alright ima roll this game back a few cycles and try to switch to stone hatches.

khorum

Murder Apologist
You can get them relatively quickly but I think the issue is whether you want to ranch or to farm since you wouldn't want to do both early on. In fact, the jobs fork from farmhand to rancher/farmer accordingly.

I think my problem was I just never got around to farming until it was way too late.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So what is the general strategy to safely leave the starter biome without having exo suits? I mean this in the sense like you dont have the reed fiber so you have to venture forth to even make a suit.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
to enter a slime biome:
build a couple storage units under water. put 9 priority on them, with only slime/polluted dirt.
place 1 or two deodorizer's at dig site.
plan dig pattern to trap polluted oxygen at outside of base for a bit. add Deodorizers in polluted oxygen.
Build a washstation between dig site and base, set to dupes wash themselves on returning to base.

Take your time digging. Allow deodorizers to work and clear out polluted oxygen and germs in air. dont make dupes run back into the germs over and over.

To enter caustic biome.
build an airlock, so hydro rises, and chlorine sinks, and neither enters your base.
Build insulation tiles, as this biome is likely much warmer then your base, and you probably don't want it to bleed in.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Should I surround my starting area with insulation tiles? Does material matter much when doing so?

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Igneous rock is best for insulation. It holds a ton of heat, and is very slow to transfer heat.
Ceramic is slightly better I think, but BARELY and like 100x more work.

yes, your starting base should be surrounded by insulation tiles more or less. Block out hot zones. block out batteries/transformers/industry from your cool base.
Abysallite has 0 conductivity. you dont have to replace it, if you have a border with it.

you might want to leave an ice biome open. but it will destroy it over time, as heat from your base leaks into it.

a small warning with igneous rock. its often mined from hot zones. and it RETAINS its heat, when used in tiles/insulated pipes.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I guess they fixed the thing with water sieves deleting heat down to 40c huh? looks like it's Aquatuners or bust.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess they fixed the thing with water sieves deleting heat down to 40c huh? looks like it's Aquatuners or bust.

Where did you see this? I haven't seen anything that says they changed the fixed output of sieves.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I just tried it. Heated dirty water to 80c to kill germs, ran it through a sieve and out came clean 80c water.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just tried it. Heated dirty water to 80c to kill germs, ran it through a sieve and out came clean 80c water.

Dunno what's happening to you, or if you're playing on experimental with the QoL upgrades and ran into a bug, but I'm still getting fixed 40c clean water output no matter what temp of polluted water I put in. When you say 'dirty water' you do specifically mean "polluted water" right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like how the fuck.

20181201095843_1.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Dunno what's happening to you, or if you're playing on experimental with the QoL upgrades and ran into a bug, but I'm still getting fixed 40c clean water output no matter what temp of polluted water I put in. When you say 'dirty water' you do specifically mean "polluted water" right?

Nah it was germy water water. I sieved polluted water into an insulated basin and heat it to kill the germs. Does the sieve only "cool" POLLUTED water?