OZ The Great and Powerful

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw this posted on MN and it really looked great. I can't believe no one has expanded on the OZ universe till now. Seems like a ton of potential.

Felonius_sl

shitlord
This isn't really an expansion per say. It takes the numerous backstories of the wizard, which is from several books, and turns it into a singular movie.

It cherry picks though, as in one book the wizard is a dick (he came to power by killing Ozma's parents) and other, later novels, where he's a goofy nice guy who came to power because Ozma's parents were killed. Baum as an author was anything but consistent. Hell, Central City (The Emerald city most call it), isn't even Emerald in some books, it just has green rooftops and brick buildings.

If you enjoy Oz as a world though, I highly suggest reading Marvel's line of graphic novels. They're great.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This isn't really an expansion per say. It takes the numerous backstories of the wizard, which is from several books, and turns it into a singular movie.

If you enjoy Oz as a world though, I highly suggest reading Marvel's line of graphic novels. They're great.
Ya I just found out about the Marvel thing and I'm going to look into it.

Siliconemelons

the world of Oz to me is always fucked up...

What is indeed cannon? only the books? musical? movies?

Is this the same wizzard thats in "the wizzard of oz"? the same as in "wicked"? so we are to see a story of growth and redemption in the person of the wizzard...then just turn to him being(back to?) a backstabbing manipulative sonofabitch?

I get that the world is a fun sandboxish place to play with stories etc- but its almost animeworthy of its convaluted stupidness

Felonius_sl

shitlord
the world of Oz to me is always fucked up...

What is indeed cannon? only the books? musical? movies?

Is this the same wizzard thats in "the wizzard of oz"? the same as in "wicked"? so we are to see a story of growth and redemption in the person of the wizzard...then just turn to him being(back to?) a backstabbing manipulative sonofabitch?

I get that the world is a fun sandboxish place to play with stories etc- but its almost animeworthy of its convaluted stupidness
If you wanna talk canon, the only things that are are the books. The musical is not, Wicked is not. Hell the Ruby slippers weren't even ruby. They were silver. They were made ruby because they wanted it to stand out on this new thing called colored movies.

However as I mentioned when Baum realized the backstory of the wizard being the usurper of the Oz throne (by killing Ozma's parents) didn't fly with kids or their parents, he retconned that.

By the end of Baum's life he has written 14 books about Oz, and several adaptations. However when the Oz ip went public domain, tons of people went every which way with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oz_books

Siliconemelons

can't spell here or back on foh, and with my horrid spelling comes random auto corrects on my phone...

and aye I always know books are source , but to me even the books seem fucked

Felonius_sl

shitlord
can't spell here or back on foh, and with my horrid spelling comes random auto corrects on my phone...

and aye I always know books are source , but to me even the books seem fucked
Well it is Fairy Country (literally). Glinda of Oz is supposed to be the only really fucked up one, so I'm gonna read that tomorrow. It was written as Baum was dying and published later.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Did no one else go see this?

I saw it today and loved it, I thought they did a fantastic job lining it up with The Wizard of Oz in terms of prequel.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I thought the movie was incredibly cheesy, with horrible dialogue. Left dissapointed. Mila Kunis boobs could have saved the movie, but alas.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Saw it last night and there were parts I loved. And parts that were downright terrible. I'm really into the potential of the Oz universe, but this was all over the place. Wait for DVD.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
ITT: People that don't know Oz, hating.

They didn't fuck anything up here.