Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yep. I view this, The Repopulation, Star Citizen, Pathfinder Online, Black Desert my last shot(s) at MMOs..
There's also Elite: Dangerous. The SF MMO landscape looks more hopeful than the fantasy landscape. Not a fan of skill based games (Pathfinder) and I'm too old to play a game where I could lose an item to some fifteen year old who has 5x the playtime I do (Black Desert).

@Furious Goblinworks is looking for investors for Pathfinder. Of course you have to be a qualified investor with a minimum of 100k to invest (again this is due to SEC regulations to prevent us poor folk from being screwed over).

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
If Brad has a back room deal with SOE, I doubt it'll come out anytime soon. He's smart if he tries to leverage their tech resources under the table to save some time and money. I'm not sure what Smed gets out of it, though.
Brad definitely said after he left SOE that he had a "sit down and talk with Smedley" where he felt good about the future. Then again that could be him feeding stuff, and Smedley just nodding his head waiting for him to leave.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, It opened things up to some speculation. I ca't wait till this KS. lol. This and EQN are really the only things out there I'm looking forward to.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yea, It opened things up to some speculation. I ca't wait till this KS. lol. This and EQN are really the only things out there I'm looking forward to.
I really wish SOE has nothing to do with this thing. I can't imagine anything good happening - see, for example, Vanguard.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well... If SoE involvement was just the sale of old art from EQN I'm ok with it. That would just speed up the process. Or..If thier intention is to get in on a niche game that they have no desire to front but might be interested in the back end stuff, I'm ok with that too. It's obvious SoE doesn't want to make the game Brad is setting out to make or they would of made it. My guess is they see too much of a risk at this point?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
For me.. the difference is Brad actually owned a lot of his mistakes.
I'm not sure I remember him ever talking about a lot of it, and the one that sticks with me - his schill shenanigans in the face of criticism - still to my knowledge has never been addressed by him.

I'm sure that he thinks he doesn't owe any of the FOH peeps anything but then again that's a big part of why I wouldn't trust anything he says.

A valid point but since I've only got his EQ clone project to throw my money/vote at, he gets it by default. With respect to a WoW clone kickstarter, who cares? Won't get my money and has no affect on my life if it thrives or dies.
What I was trying to point out (most recently) was that the argument that"Giving Brad money will signal to the industry that there is a demand"as if doing so might usher in a new era of EQ clones simply doesn't hold water. In regards to the latter part of your quote above, the fact that you're willfully limiting your perspective to your own viewpoint to the exclusion of all else does not mean that you can ignore reality and that it will go away. The only people that are going to seriously consider making a niche MMO like Brad in preference to an MMO with more "modern" aesthetics are those that are already inclined to do so and/or wouldn't be successful trying to KS some sort of action-y MMO. You know where the lion's share of the money is, and it isn't with EQ 2.0. With Brad's resume and experience, he is quite possibly locked into the niche of MMOs that is EQ1/VG/EQ2.0/etc. Which is probably part of the reason why he's always going to be making a game in this niche category of MMOs and not trying something more mainstream.

I thought the whole point of Kickstarter is giving people a chance to help kickstart niche projects? (projects that will not be funded by big publishers but the developers believe they can be successful and there's demand for such games; hence the player help fund these projects).
This sub-debate got derailed from the original points like a game of telephone, so I'll try not to be snarky with you. But backing Brad's KS on the premise that it will "grow" the EQ1 niche genre is probably well intentioned but not realistic in the slightest. If you or Tad10 or whoever else wants to throw money at Brad, then fine - just don't try to argue like it's some sort of noble cause because that's bullshit. I'm perfectly fine with someone saying"I know it's a risk but fuck it"and that's why I only really spoke to that risk originally.

You can do an MMO on the cheap if you abandon all the modern trappings: bazillion quests (dev time), seemless world (dev time, art assets), flying mounts (dev headaches, animation assets). I can not find it - but I think somewhere it was posted that original EQ cost around 5 million. I'm sure someone with better search-fu can find it.
This is a somewhat lulzy position given how you feel about instancing.
tongue.png
I'd wager that instancing, when compared to other methods aimed at combating bottlenecked content, might be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I imagine that your response to this might be"what's wrong with bottlenecking content"to which I might just laugh and segue into another "niche/low pop" circular debate.

Do you and Erronious really think we should sit on our ass and bitch on this board for another ten years?
GTFO of here with that, you know full well that you'll be sitting on your ass and bitching in another 10 years and so will I.

For me this really boils down to if you are ok with handing a known shyster more money after he's frittered it away in the past, and I think that the MMO community has a terribly bad habit of throwing money at project after project.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I disagree with the awareness factor. There are power in numbers and supporting this game(assuming it's a true EQ
Sequel) is a vote towards the future. It's impossible to speculate the impact of a project. Say Brad asks for the max KS funding and achieves his goal in a crazy amount of time.. You saying the industry won't take notice? Are they too busy copy cating some other poor design?!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There have been a couple 'hardcore' MMORPG kickstarters recently (Divergence: Online, Trials of Ascension). They were pretty miserable failures. Brad better be showing something legit.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
GTFO of here with that, you know full well that you'll be sitting on your ass and bitching in another 10 years and so will I.

For me this really boils down to if you are ok with handing a known shyster more money after he's frittered it away in the past, and I think that the MMO community has a terribly bad habit of throwing money at project after project.
You are still begging the question. The point I'm trying to make is that it is easy to come up with a million reasons why not to give Brad the money, the hard part is coming up with a positive alternative that gets me (and everyone else interested in an old-school MMO) closer to that old-school MMO.

Also you're dead wrong on instancing and bottlenecked content. Of necessity the cheap-ass MMO we're talking about has to have PvE competition for spawns and items (non-instanced) otherwise players will advance too quickly and eat up whatever limited content is available at release. Instancing would result in the hardcore players running out of things to do very quickly.

I can tell you're going to be "that guy" who comes in and shits on this thread through the development process, and then, in the likely event Brad over-promises, over-spends, under-delivers (or fails to deliver at all) you'll crow about how prescient you were. Well, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gonna be a lot of hate in the future lol. Rightfully so... He is the only one that can change that and it won't change until a successful game.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't see much future for hardcore or hard mmo's anymore. We are basically irrelevant. We grew up on games that were designed to make you fail when we were younger. Had to get us to keep feeding quarters in the machine. That type of mindset carried over to our console and pc games also from those who grew up playing them. Kids now can't even beat super mario bros. Wake up, we turned into our parents.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I don't see much future for hardcore or hard mmo's anymore. We are basically irrelevant. We grew up on games that were designed to make you fail when we were younger. Had to get us to keep feeding quarters in the machine. That type of mindset carried over to our console and pc games also from those who grew up playing them. Kids now can't even beat super mario bros. Wake up, we turned into our parents.
The only future is a small niche game (50-100k). The fact people still play on EQ Progression and Vanguard suggests that a modern "hardcore" game can succeed as long as development costs are kept way, way, way down. That's the problem with Brad - he doesn't seem to be able to say "No" to a good idea or additional content. That's why the most likely result for the Sekret MMO is him running out of funds when he's only half way done.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only future is a small niche game (50-100k). The fact people still play on EQ Progression and Vanguard suggests that a modern "hardcore" game can succeed as long as development costs are kept way, way, way down. That's the problem with Brad - he doesn't seem to be able to say "No" to a good idea or additional content. That's why the most likely result for the Sekret MMO is him running out of funds when he's only half way done.
Economics. Is it possible to get the MMO that you want to play for 10-50 million?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
5 million or less.
I'm a huge fan of diversity. I play just about every MMO for some time and I wish their were more types of MMOs. I just don't see 5 million being feasible for a MMO no matter what the niche it's trying to fill.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm a huge fan of diversity. I play just about every MMO for some time and I wish their were more types of MMOs. I just don't see 5 million being feasible for a MMO no matter what the niche it's trying to fill.
EQ was built with 5 million-ish.

Zones are the key. Zones, no flying mount chrome, quests for items and gold, not xp. Etc. Think small, not Vanguard or WoW. Project Gorgon is pretty fun for the few levels you can play and was built with pretty much zero money because it's basically 4-5 zones with very limited, reused artwork. Imagine that with actual money, a decent artist and no AC1 bullshit.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EQ was built with 5 million-ish.

Zones are the key. Zones, no flying mount chrome, quests for items and gold, not xp. Etc. Think small, not Vanguard or WoW. Project Gorgon is pretty fun for the few levels you can play and was built with pretty much zero money because it's basically 4-5 zones with very limited, reused artwork. Imagine that with actual money, a decent artist and no AC1 bullshit.
The art assets and animation are gonna run you at least 5 million. We aren't talking vga graphics here. If you want something like the trend to do 16bit retro games then maybe. If you are looking for a spiritual successor to EQ with updated graphics then I am afraid you are shit out of luck. Hope I am wrong, I just don't see it.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
people who think a game like EQ won't succeed are idiots. EQ at its peak had almost a half a million subs, and that was before 95% of the video game player base even knew what a MMO was. if you can comprehend basic logic you should be able to comprehend this: if the WoW model is so perfect, why has every single game that has been a WoW clone failed so hard? and now all the WoW tards will spout off a bunch of their usual diatribe of how awesome WoW is, even though they no longer play it, haven't played it for a long time (because they're so bored of it) but how another game just like it will succeed, even though they won't play that game either. and they will continue to post in this thread about a possible EQ clone, because posting in this thread about brad's new game is actually more fun than playing WoW...